MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Python/Anaconda 2K

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Colt is pretty much just a name and product line owned by somebody else like Marlin and Winchester, the only real difference is they are still in their own factory. Eventually they will fall into the hands of somebody like Cerberus and that will fall by the wayside also. Heck, Cerberus might just be licking their lips thinking about stamping ponies on Huntsville made 1911's.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Damn. Give your friend my number...

Boolit Master
    I bought a Brand new broken Anaconda when Bill Clinton was coming in. Been fired 4 times and was broke inside. Sent back in. Nice lady told me they could send it over to Mag - N - Port for a factory port job. $ 75.00 Sent her a money order. Shot it maybe 100 times. Doubt it. Carried it a few times here and there. Put it in a bank lock box last year for the "NEW SMALL PERSON" at my daughters house. Miss JAEL TRINTY'S grand paw lives long enough we will shot it in about 15 years. If you get to my range in Southern Illinois stop by. We are still having Concealed Carry Classes. Helping to have a WELL armed Southern Illinois...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Don't think I have ever seen a company that went to such lengths to rescue failure from the jaws of success as Colt has!
    Great line! I love it, might have to steal it from you FergunsonTO35.
    Personally I favor the idea of a guy getting the handgun he wants regardless of price. Glad the Snake guns never caught my eyes.

Banned

Colts have always been over priced. The Python was one of the best but the Anaconda fell short. Yet Sam got the SA right and Ruger made it better, safer, stronger and more accurate. Colt stayed behind to lose sales, depending on the Gov't. They refused to make what shooters wanted. The SA still must use BP pressure loads. So do clones. Parts break. Can't get a good trigger.
    Colt has always shot themselves in the foot. They used lawyers to prevent better guns from being made long ago with a monopoly of patents.
    Today you pay for the name.

Great line! I love it, might have to steal it from you FergunsonTO35.
    Personally I favor the idea of a guy getting the handgun he wants regardless of price. Glad the Snake guns never caught my eyes.
    Use it all you like. Yes, I'm about to drop over 1k on a Browning Hi-Power NIB just 'cause I have always wanted one.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Moderator Emeritus

I was at a Gunshow today in Wells, MN.
    There was a blued Python, scratched wood grips, no box, 6" barrel and a tag that said 3750,
    I told the guy behind the table, I would have bought the Colt, but I forgot my mortgage papers...the fella next to me laughed, and I laughed...but the guy behind that table didn't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

Just read that Colt is laying off custom shop workers. I love the old SSA Army but it has not changed since Sam designed it. Still flat springs and a 5 shot with parts that break. Ruger set them into the stone age. The Colt is still a BP load gun. Colt could not make a .44 mag until the Anaconda and it was a sad shooter from all reports. The problem is staying with old stuff. I don't blame workers, just management.

Boolit Master
    Colt's could have made a .44 mag on their New Service frame but the machinery was not kept in a functioning condition after WW 2 so they lost that market opportunity.

Boolit Master
    I think their best bet may be to down size, and concentrate on making a quality product in smaller numbers. Colt people are willing to pay a bit more, and that might keep the company alive. The AR market and 1911 market are flooded with competitors, some making great products for a good price. Colt resurrecting an old 6 shot snub 38 thats not cheap isn't going to do it. They need to do something, and do it quick if they are going to survive.

I wouldn't call the Cobra a dud just yet. Wheelguns are quite chic nowadays, even though they cost more on average than bottom feeders. It's success will hinge entirely on whether it is a good gun or not and if Colt is willing to actually produce enough of them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    and if Colt is willing to actually produce enough of them.
    Vegas has the odds at 200 to 1. You a betting man? :laugh:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123