Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little workout this afternoon...

Boolit Master

A little workout this afternoon...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lead.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	189579

Right at 300 lbs of soft lead. Almost all roof jacks/vents. About four hours of hard work for this broken old man and I still need to go out and clean up. Best part is while I was picking up the soft lead I was talking to the guy at the scrap yard and scored almost 600 lbs of wheel weights for $0.20 a lb. Didn't have the cash on me so I'll pick them up Monday. They are in a 55 gallon drum and it's about half full.

That should keep me busy all next week.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Buddy
    What did you pay for the soft lead? I had a call into my local scrap yard for WW and lead prices. WW were just under 0.50/lb. And 'regular' lead was 0.90? Range scrap ~0.75

Boolit Master

$0.70 a pound for scrap lead.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

Boolit Master

Good thing it's soft lead instead of hard lead, the soft lead weighs less per pound and is easier on your "old" back.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a good days work. The ole back just don't like that kind of work anymore.

Nice work and nice score! Are the WWs mixed?

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Thats a good days work. The ole back just don't like that kind of work anymore.
    Got another package for you almost ready to go... not quite full yet though...
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I took a bucket of steel and zinc to the scrap yard this week. The guy I usually deal with was not there, lunch maybe. The guys that were covering his job weighed the bucket and gave me a receipt to go up front and get paid. As I walked off I looked around and they were dumping my bucket into what I am fairly sure was the lead barrel. At any rate, if I ever end up buying lead WW from there I will be very careful about what I get.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    They are mixed. He will no longer buy them as there's too much junk in them. He wanted to get rid of what he has since the people he sells to no longer want them. I'm also still waiting to hear back about 12 or so buckets full. If that one comes through I'll be selling enough to get my first NOE mold.
    Semper Fi!

Boolit Master
    Great score! Last time I took scrap metal to the scrap yard, I had a bunch of zink clip ons. When I told the guy about them, he just threw them in with all the steel wheel weights. They won't sell lead to the public, so no chance of ever having to re-sort them.

Boolit Master

Nice score and nice work. Nothing like a pile of fresh ingots. I scored a bucket of ww the other day and had a few others saved up. I woke and the sun was shining, a balmy -1C and i had propane, so i got to smelting, had a great day got a pile of ingots i still have to stow away.
    The next day i was sore, used a lot of muscles i have not used in 8 months. Need to stretch before i smelt and the cold didnt help. Rum and a hot bath helped.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

I've got my fingers crossed for you on those 12 buckets.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by maxreloader View Post
    Got another package for you almost ready to go... not quite full yet though...
    Thats great! You have been very generous and I owe you big time.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry for the thread hi-jack! Wishing you Luck on those possible scores! Are you planning on sorting them or just watching the pot temp and skimming them off the top?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Sorry for the thread hi-jack! Wishing you Luck on those possible scores! Are you planning on sorting them or just watching the pot temp and skimming them off the top?
    I'll probably sort them. I can control my melt temp so it doesn't get over 625-650 but I have nothing but time on my hands. I also like to remove the SOWW from the COWW.
    Semper Fi!

Boolit Grand Master

I think thats a good choice. I can't control my temps close enough to trust so I sort all of mine. Its boring, but once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post

Looks like your trying to get into the 'hockey puck' business . . . . . . Nice day's work for an old fart!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post

Right at 300 lbs of soft lead. Almost all roof jacks/vents. About four hours of hard work for this broken old man and I still need to go out and clean up. Best part is while I was picking up the soft lead I was talking to the guy at the scrap yard and scored almost 600 lbs of wheel weights for $0.20 a lb. Didn't have the cash on me so I'll pick them up Monday. They are in a 55 gallon drum and it's about half full.

That should keep me busy all next week.
    We had a work day at the range today and I picked up 30# of scrap while I was there Click image for larger version. 

Name:	led1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	189639
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master

Thanks. I need to put longer legs on that table. I built it too short. Then I'll need to build a stand for the cooker to get the pot up to table top level. I will be doing that before I sort the wheel weights I'll be picking up on Monday.

I had to get my wife to move the lead for me today because the table is just too short.

Pure/soft lead I always cast in the muffin cups. Wheel weights go in anything else. If I can ever find the single corn cob pan I have that's what I'll pour my linotype in. Pewter goes in a sinker mold.
    Semper Fi!

Boolit Grand Master

When I'm smelting I hold my 4# ladle in both hands with my arms hanging down near my waist. The weight is near my center of gravity and the ole back sees the least amount of strain that way. My smelting pot is at that height and so is my landing zone.

I built a wooden box from 2X10's that measures 2ft X 4ft that I dump my weights into for sorting. I place this box low enough that I sit beside it. I'll scratch through it, cherry picking. I usually grab the visible trash, then the stick-on weights, then the steel and then the fun begins, sorting the lead from the zinc. I do it in that order because the steel and the stick-ons are easier to spot. I use a pair of electricians dykes to test cut the suspicious weights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast