Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee's press mounted priming system

Boolit Master
    i have an rcbs jr3, and a lee classic cast turret, as well as the lee breech lock challenger. i will be perfectly honest when i tell you that i prefer to use the lee safety prime over the rcbs. it was a bit of a learning curve to use , but once i got it down, its my second favorite priming method. the first being the old lee auto prime II on a lee reloader c press..

Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    i have an rcbs jr3, and a lee classic cast turret, as well as the lee breech lock challenger. i will be perfectly honest when i tell you that i prefer to use the lee safety prime over the rcbs. it was a bit of a learning curve to use , but once i got it down, its my second favorite priming method. the first being the old lee auto prime II on a lee reloader c press..
    I'm hoping to have the same experience. I have the priming system on my Rock Crusher. I agree it's less than ideal for sure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tranders View Post
    I have the priming system on my Rock Crusher. I agree it's less than ideal for sure.
    So you have the CH4D RockCrusher that weighs 103 lbs? Or is it the earlier Old Western Scrounger (OWS)?

Weird but I have a feeling you have a RCBS Rock Chucker.

take care

r1kk1

Yep, I have a RCBS Rock Crusher. I apologize,didn't realize there was other presses with that name.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tranders View Post
    Yep, I have a RCBS Rock Crusher. I apologize,didn't realize there was other presses with that name.
    No that is the RCBS Rock Chucker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	189781

This his is the CH4D Rock Crusher.

Name:	IMG_0037.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	189782

The one one on the bottom will do 20mm and 25mm ammo. It is cast steel and weighs 103 lbs. current price is 1700.00.

Two totally different presses.

RCBS does not make Rock Crusher.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    You can have mine for half price if you want. I'm far from a Lee basher, I have a lot of their stuff and like Lee products just fine but this is one thing that no matter how I try it's just not working for me. I think in my case it might be because I'm using the cheaper turret, not the classic cast. I got the press used for $20.00 and it works great, just not with the Safety Prime. No big deal, I just prime off the press with the Ergo Prime and all is well.

Yep,you are correct. I have the Rock Chucker
    Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    No that is the RCBS Rock Chucker.I apologize once gain.

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	189781

This his is the CH4D Rock Crusher.

Name:	IMG_0037.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	189782

The one one on the bottom will do 20mm and 25mm ammo. It is cast steel and weighs 103 lbs. current price is 1700.00.

Two totally different presses.

RCBS does not make Rock Crusher.

Take care

r1kk1

I got the priming attachment when I bought the classic turret. I had to deburr it completely before it would work correctly. Used it on one small run of reloads, then took it off and gave it away. I have primed by hand for years and like it that way.

Leon

I have a hand primer and the primer sytem forthe Rock Chucker if it doesn't work out. It seems that people like it or hate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    I got the priming attachment when I bought the classic turret. I had to deburr it completely before it would work correctly. Used it on one small run of reloads, then took it off and gave it away. I have primed by hand for years and like it that way. What hand primer do you use?

Leon

What hand primer are you using?

Perma-Banned
    The issue I've had is a failure to drop a primer unless the ram is all the way up.

Boolit Master
    I use the safety prim on my Lee single stage classic, I have a older turret so I de-prim and prim on the S-S take the de-prim stem out of the sizing die size and load on the turret works great for me.
    Frank G.

In Remembrance

Safety Prime is my preferred priming method.

The Lee Auto Prime from way back for small pistol primers and the RCBS bench primer for large primers. Never had a problem with either, but I do take care of them.

Vendor Sponsor

I have never found any of the Lee press mounted priming systems to be totally reliable. I use the ergo prime hand primer tool and get no upside down primers, no sideways primers, no skipped primers and I can check for below flush primers on every single case when it comes off the priming tool. Primers are critical that they be done right. Primers are also the most dangerous part of operating a press, so why would I not take every precaution against accident and every opportunity to insure consistency and use a hand primer?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Primers are also the most dangerous part of operating a press, so why would I not take every precaution against accident and every opportunity to insure consistency and use a hand primer?
    I have been using the little "C" press from Lee for as long as I have had my early [original] "ram prime" I believe they called it..For...more than 20 years...Never any problem at all...
    I find that I can have total control of Primer seating..including Depth if I wanted to...
    Like anything utilizing manual dexterity...one needs to pay attention and develop a Feel...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12