Inline FabricationADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaGraf & SonsLee Precision

Thread: Douglas Barrels

Boolit Master

Douglas Barrels

I have always had good luck with Douglas barrels. Last Friday I called and ordered a 1-12 twist chambered to .308 Win, cut to length, crowned and finished in a Remington #3 contour for a Remington 700 short action. Tonight ​I screwed it into the action. That is only 7 days from order to delivery!

Boolit Master
    It will do fine I'm sure. I too had a quick delivery recently, I called and talked to the owner, Stan Taylor, about a barrel to shoot benchrest with. I wasn't trying to offend him in any way, but asked why his barrels don't shoot as good as others in this discipline. He said they do and sited their popularity in long range shooting. And he was corret in that, they are used frequently in 600 and 1000 yard benchrest. But I shoot 100/200 yard benchrest.

So a barrel was ordered and it arrived within 10 days. And I have verified the reason they are not used in short range benchrest. They shoot good enough for a groundhog gun, good enough for long range where a little off isn't as meaningful as in short range. It will not shoot along side a Kreiger, Bartlein, Brux, Shilen, Hart, etc. Oh, and I ordered a 4 groove barrel, per his suggestion. I got a 6 groove.

Boolit Master
    So how much do they run ? Just the barrels.

I'm thinking about building a couple of guns in the future for the girls.

We picked up a nice 257 imp Ackley build very nice, I hope to have them shooting it in a few years. We together will work up loads and do some hunting with this gun.

What would be a good chamber for women?

Boolit Master
    The barrel I ordered is listed at $314.00

http://www.douglasbarrels.net/contours/index.html

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    I have always had good luck with Douglas barrels. Last Friday I called and ordered a 1-12 twist chambered to .308 Win, cut to length, crowned and finished in a Remington #3 contour for a Remington 700 short action. Tonight ​I screwed it into the action. That is only 7 days from order to delivery!
    Please give us a report on your results! Best, Thomas.

40 miles from nowhere and plum out in the sticks
    Quote Originally Posted by B R Shooter View Post
    It will do fine I'm sure. I too had a quick delivery recently, I called and talked to the owner, Stan Taylor, about a barrel to shoot benchrest with. I wasn't trying to offend him in any way, but asked why his barrels don't shoot as good as others in this discipline. He said they do and sited their popularity in long range shooting. And he was corret in that, they are used frequently in 600 and 1000 yard benchrest. But I shoot 100/200 yard benchrest.

So a barrel was ordered and it arrived within 10 days. And I have verified the reason they are not used in short range benchrest. They shoot good enough for a groundhog gun, good enough for long range where a little off isn't as meaningful as in short range. It will not shoot along side a Kreiger, Bartlein, Brux, Shilen, Hart, etc. Oh, and I ordered a 4 groove barrel, per his suggestion. I got a 6 groove.
    I make no claim as a benchrest shooter. However, my singular experience with a 6.5 MM barrel has been the same as yours, apart from the difference in requested and received grooving.

Boolit Master
    I just received a Douglas XX 8 x 57, contour #2 for my small ring Mauser build. 9 days from order to delivery! Mine was threaded, chambered, and crowned, plus $10 for the XX Total was $347. It looks GREAT, now I need to get working on my rifle! hc18flyer

Boolit Master

I have a couple douglas 30 cal 1-10 twist 4 grooves on garands in med weight here and they are very good shooters. Both are chambered to 308 and were left .050 short in the chamber for final fitting. These are carbon steel have never worked with a stainless douglas barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Please give us a report on your results! Best, Thomas.
    I have three new ones now: the .338-06 plus a .280 Rem and .308 Win 1-12 twist mentioned above. I just got the .308 from the gunsmith on Monday so it is still in break-in. The .280 is about finished break-in. I shot some 250 gr cast in the .338-06 today that are doing about 2000 fps that are going to be a hammer on hogs.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Bub
    I've been buying Douglas blanks for some years now and have yet to have any problems. Every barrel has been a tack driver with typically .5" groups at 100 yds or better. I generally don't buy contoured blanks but the bores are the same in all of them. Top quality stuff and great service.

Frank

Banned
    i've only owned 1. thats been 20 or so years ago. it still does a 1/2" at 100 yards(5 shots) and it is a 20" sporterweight in 7x57 that is on a 98 mauser customized.

Boolit Master
    Here's a ten shot group from my Douglas barrel 338-06:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1998.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	203333

This needs to go up on the charge as several of the primers backed out slightly. I'm hoping that I'll be able to retain the accuracy as I go up.
    USMC 6638