Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: Douglas Barrels

Boolit Master

Douglas Barrels

I have always had good luck with Douglas barrels. Last Friday I called and ordered a 1-12 twist chambered to .308 Win, cut to length, crowned and finished in a Remington #3 contour for a Remington 700 short action. Tonight ​I screwed it into the action. That is only 7 days from order to delivery!

Banned
    It will do fine I'm sure. I too had a quick delivery recently, I called and talked to the owner, Stan Taylor, about a barrel to shoot benchrest with. I wasn't trying to offend him in any way, but asked why his barrels don't shoot as good as others in this discipline. He said they do and sited their popularity in long range shooting. And he was corret in that, they are used frequently in 600 and 1000 yard benchrest. But I shoot 100/200 yard benchrest.

So a barrel was ordered and it arrived within 10 days. And I have verified the reason they are not used in short range benchrest. They shoot good enough for a groundhog gun, good enough for long range where a little off isn't as meaningful as in short range. It will not shoot along side a Kreiger, Bartlein, Brux, Shilen, Hart, etc. Oh, and I ordered a 4 groove barrel, per his suggestion. I got a 6 groove.

Boolit Master
    So how much do they run ? Just the barrels.

I'm thinking about building a couple of guns in the future for the girls.

We picked up a nice 257 imp Ackley build very nice, I hope to have them shooting it in a few years. We together will work up loads and do some hunting with this gun.

What would be a good chamber for women?

Boolit Master
    The barrel I ordered is listed at $314.00

http://www.douglasbarrels.net/contours/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    I have always had good luck with Douglas barrels. Last Friday I called and ordered a 1-12 twist chambered to .308 Win, cut to length, crowned and finished in a Remington #3 contour for a Remington 700 short action. Tonight ​I screwed it into the action. That is only 7 days from order to delivery!
    Please give us a report on your results! Best, Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by B R Shooter View Post
    It will do fine I'm sure. I too had a quick delivery recently, I called and talked to the owner, Stan Taylor, about a barrel to shoot benchrest with. I wasn't trying to offend him in any way, but asked why his barrels don't shoot as good as others in this discipline. He said they do and sited their popularity in long range shooting. And he was corret in that, they are used frequently in 600 and 1000 yard benchrest. But I shoot 100/200 yard benchrest.

So a barrel was ordered and it arrived within 10 days. And I have verified the reason they are not used in short range benchrest. They shoot good enough for a groundhog gun, good enough for long range where a little off isn't as meaningful as in short range. It will not shoot along side a Kreiger, Bartlein, Brux, Shilen, Hart, etc. Oh, and I ordered a 4 groove barrel, per his suggestion. I got a 6 groove.
    I make no claim as a benchrest shooter. However, my singular experience with a 6.5 MM barrel has been the same as yours, apart from the difference in requested and received grooving.

I just received a Douglas XX 8 x 57, contour #2 for my small ring Mauser build. 9 days from order to delivery! Mine was threaded, chambered, and crowned, plus $10 for the XX Total was $347. It looks GREAT, now I need to get working on my rifle! hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple douglas 30 cal 1-10 twist 4 grooves on garands in med weight here and they are very good shooters. Both are chambered to 308 and were left .050 short in the chamber for final fitting. These are carbon steel have never worked with a stainless douglas barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Please give us a report on your results! Best, Thomas.
    I have three new ones now: the .338-06 plus a .280 Rem and .308 Win 1-12 twist mentioned above. I just got the .308 from the gunsmith on Monday so it is still in break-in. The .280 is about finished break-in. I shot some 250 gr cast in the .338-06 today that are doing about 2000 fps that are going to be a hammer on hogs.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Bub
    I've been buying Douglas blanks for some years now and have yet to have any problems. Every barrel has been a tack driver with typically .5" groups at 100 yds or better. I generally don't buy contoured blanks but the bores are the same in all of them. Top quality stuff and great service.

Frank

Banned
    i've only owned 1. thats been 20 or so years ago. it still does a 1/2" at 100 yards(5 shots) and it is a 20" sporterweight in 7x57 that is on a 98 mauser customized.

Boolit Master
    Here's a ten shot group from my Douglas barrel 338-06:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1998.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	203333

This needs to go up on the charge as several of the primers backed out slightly. I'm hoping that I'll be able to retain the accuracy as I go up.
    USMC 6638

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    Here's a ten shot group from my Douglas barrel 338-06:

Name:	IMG_1998.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	203333

This needs to go up on the charge as several of the primers backed out slightly. I'm hoping that I'll be able to retain the accuracy as I go up.
    NICE!

I have had a "thing" for the 338-06 since 1978 and the first one I had built. A Brownell supplied Mark-X action and Douglas 338 barrel. I did the stock to the best of my young ability. It could be thinned out a little. It is a shooter and still shoots well. A lot of cast down the tube.

The 338-06 is just plain smart. Especially for elk and larger game.
    Chill Wills

My gunsmith who was located in WVa would use nothing but Douglas barrels. He was in tight with
    them since he started business. I had seven rifles built with Douglas barrels and bought several
    Rifles he had built used. The last rifle I had built was a 338/06, built on a Sears & Robuck 270
    that had a 98mauser action made in Belgium. Had heavy sporter contour and 26" barrel and a
    Timner trigger. Gun was a little on heavy side but it helped tame the recoil. Gun shot exceeding
    well, but to tell the truth I only got to use it on deer. I still have the first rifle he made for me on
    a 98 that my uncle brought home from WW2. I had it made up in 243 and the barrel was a premium Douglas out of chrome moly steel. I had him leave the German markings on it just as
    Sentiment for my uncle. This was first barrel of this alloy my smith had done. He called me very
    put out and had me come over. The action on that rifle looked like the blue was a inch thick like
    on a old S&W, the barrel was the a shade of plum purple. He was upset over it and was going to
    blue it again with a different solution that Douglas recommended. I liked it and had him leave it
    the way it was. That was my main groundhog gun for years, back when I went almost every
    evening in the summer, it has had thousands of fairly hot loads through it and still shoots good
    as the day it was built in 1964, with same K12 scope.

I have a Winchester 1917 Enfield that has had much work done on it..it's a cock on opening...special trigger...high power scope and mount and is a 25-06..the barrel is a heavy one that simply has 25-06 stamped in the area next to the receiver...I was told it's a Douglas but don't know any other facts to support that..the gun is a real accurate rifle with my handloads and the heavier barrel gives great balance to the rifle..any thoughts on how to identify it as a Douglas for sure?

Thanks

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	204794

Name:	image5.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	204795

Boolit Master
    At this point, probably not any way to tell. Some, but certainly not all, cut the end of the chamber end of the barrel off to make sure it is square. This disc that is cut has all the maker info on it and is usually part of any "loose equipment" that comes from the gunsmith with the completed rifle. But, why would you doubt the desciption given? It shoots great so enjoy it. That is the bottom line I think. That's a fine looking rifle, by the way.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 09-28-2017 at 12:41 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by B R Shooter View Post

I had a double button rifled Douglas on one of my Benchrest guns that was as a "hummer" for sure and I've got a trophy case full of wood I won with it. The reason I quit using them was the cost. A 4 groove Kreiger .237/.243 was about 1/3 cheaper and shot extremely well for me barrel after barrel. I can't see well enough to shoot competitive any more but still shoot my rifles in club matches. I'm currently shooting a Bartelin chambered in 22 Waldog that will shoot sub .150 when I do my part with boring regularity. There are many barrel makers out there making superior products than ever before. Choose one you like and more than likely it will be a better shooter than the nut holding the stock is capable of.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
    There are many barrel makers out there making superior products than ever before. Choose one you like and more than likely it will be a better shooter than the nut holding the stock is capable of.
    I think this is very true. We can still get a dinger barrel we just can't make shoot well now and then but for the most part we are living in the good old days of top barrel choices, and for that mater, top drawer mold makers too.

I will say, I do miss Badger Barrels.
    Chill Wills

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
    I had a double button rifled Douglas on one of my Benchrest guns that was as a "hummer" for sure and I've got a trophy case full of wood I won with it. The reason I quit using them was the cost. A 4 groove Kreiger .237/.243 was about 1/3 cheaper and shot extremely well for me barrel after barrel. I can't see well enough to shoot competitive any more but still shoot my rifles in club matches. I'm currently shooting a Bartelin chambered in 22 Waldog that will shoot sub .150 when I do my part with boring regularity. There are many barrel makers out there making superior products than ever before. Choose one you like and more than likely it will be a better shooter than the nut holding the stock is capable of.
    Houndog, when I talked to Mr. Taylor, I asked specifically about their double button barrels. He said there was no manic with them, no special buttons. It's just pulled twice. There is a fellow in Michigan that used Douglas 22 barrels and really liked them. Maybe the 22s have an edge?

I have shot just about every premuim barrel available in the US, old and new, some not in business anymore. I have my opinion on some where I won't buy another, most I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I like to try different things, not just follow the leader type thing. I have a barrel in the lathe right now from an up coming maker. Hope to shoot it in a match next weekend. I've done this before and was disappointed, I hope this will be better.

Boolit Master

I hear ya on trying different things! They are several different barrels and chamberings in my pile of used barrels. In addition to PPC's there are Tall dogs, Waldogs, 6 and 22 BR's, straight 220 Russians, a 25PPC , a 25BR and a 6 Dunie Dee. The last one is a forerunner of the PPC by Ferris Pendell.( think 6PPC with the shoulder pushed back enough for a 40 degree shoulder and a longer neck.) The main thing is having fun and keeping your mind stimulated and engaged!