RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is brass obsolete??? Shell Shock Technologies

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Who wants to lube high volume pistol cases (9mm, 40, 45acp) and run them through a $100 spring loaded die when you can just run them through a $35 carbide die set with no lube? This is one of those "looks good on paper" idea.
    Spray on case lube. Many use it now as it makes the process smoother. You don't notice it on a single stage but you do on a progressive. It takes an extra seconds to lube them this way.

Oh, it's so comfortable to be on here with others who remember the experiments of the past. Instead of thinking what ever is trending is actually new and news.

Thanks folks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Oh, it's so comfortable to be on here with others who remember the experiments of the past. Instead of thinking what ever is trending is actually new and news.

Thanks folks.
    Yeah, like that silly smokeless powder, and the internet, and powder coating...

It is new and it is news. It remains to be seen if it's an improvement, but it's as certain as the sunrise that people will line up to pee on any new idea. Perhaps you remember the first time you heard people talking about Glocks?

Whether it is accepted as a commercial product will probably not have much to do wiith how reloadable it is. Steel and aluminum cased ammo has been a commercial success. If ammo makers can save a penny a box by using the stuff then it's here to stay.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

I remember when caseless ammo and plastic cased ammo hit the scene and how it was going to make brass cased ammo obsolete. Right , those ideas bombed !
    I can get 1,500 once fired brass 9mm cases for $16.00 from local range and my dies cost $13.50 when I bought them.
    At the prices they are charging I don't think I'm ready to jump into that "new and improved" hype just yet. I give them 5-6 years before fading into distant memory....unless they get a Government contract or some deal where we taxpayers subsidize them . Subsidies kept the residential solar panel companies in business in LA. . as soon as the Federal and state subsidies in Louisiana ended these companies disappeared..... their product was overpriced and couldn't survive .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Good try at a solution to a non existent problem. Will join the memories of Wanda and Activ plastic shot shells, Daisy and Voere and HK caseless rifle ammo, Remington Etronix, etc.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Like I said, it all depends on the economics of scale. If they can save money with it then it will succeed. You have to remember that the vast majority of handgun rounds are fired with no thought as to reusing the case at all. The fact this new stuff is harder to reload only matters to a small percentage of the total user base.

I remember the plastic cased 38 special ammo. It was only suitable for very low pressure stuff, and IIRC correctly it required heeled bullets to reload. The problem with the HK caseless stuff was heat management: the brass case removes quite a bit of heat from the system when it is ejected and the caseless guns got hot faster than conventional ones. None of the failed experiments of the past offered an economic advantage, or they were different enough that people were leery of them.

These things still look like metal cartridge cases, so Joe Millenial that shoots 50 rounds of factory ammo at the indoor range might buy them if they are 50 cents cheaper than the brass cased option. Price, not reloadability will probably be the deciding factor in its success or failure.

IMO they should be marketing them to people who sell loaded ammo, not the reloading market. Seriously, who has a big problem with their 9mm cases stretching too much?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Feel free to send me all your obsolete brass casings. I'll pay shipping.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master

Is brass obsolete???

Not by a long shot.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

AM I the only one who spends the afternoon trimming 9mm cases ( sarc off)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    I was not sure where to post this info....Any thoughts.......

9mm cases that are not made from brass, reloadable, able to be picked up with a magnet, cheaper than new 9mm brass, don't stretch

https://www.shellshocktechnologies.c...mm-nas3-cases/
    No. Brass cases are not obsolete. At all. Until these become mainstream, and brass cases have disappeared, no. Not at all. How long will that take, do you think?

For a company testing the market for a cheaper more durable metallic case reloading option, 9mm sure was a dumb choice for a pilot cartridge. I sure can't wait to scramble at the range picking up my boutique two piece metallic cases, and reload them on proprietary dies.
    Definitely not like I could pick up hundreds or thousands of 9mm cases free at my local range...
    Then again, knowing their market (us) maybe they will gain some minimal traction.
    After all, we're the "spend 300$ to save a few cents per round" crowd.
    Hell, I'm guilty of convincing myself I could save time by purchasing another powder measure, but maybe an expensive one this time, since I like nice things and why the hell not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Ive been reloading ( and casting on and off) since the late 80's. When is this money saving thing going to happen? As others have stated. this may be good for the person that only shoots a few factory boxes a year. But I can not see how a two piece brass is going to handle the multiple reloads. I have .45 acp brass that has been reloaded 50-60 times. ( My 1911 usually eats brass before it wears it out.)

Boolit Master

Can't load it on standard equipment. Ten cents a hull. Range brass that can be loaded on standard equipment is free. What's a single box of 9mm ammo - which is roughly what a peace officer will be carrying - weigh? The fact that the special case is 50% lighter than brass is a only a concern for the loadmasters packing pallets of it onto C-17's PASS!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12