RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is brass obsolete??? Shell Shock Technologies

Boolit Buddy

Is brass obsolete??? Shell Shock Technologies

I was not sure where to post this info....Any thoughts.......

9mm cases that are not made from brass, reloadable, able to be picked up with a magnet, cheaper than new 9mm brass, don't stretch

https://www.shellshocktechnologies.c...mm-nas3-cases/

Only problem with light cases is they tend to tumble around in the case feeder rather than drop like normal brass. i learned this when we loaded aluminium cases. .085 per brand new uber case...not bad.
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

In Remembrance
    The case itself seems OK....that is until you see the price for there die set.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Grand Master

Two piece design is interesting.

In Remembrance
    After reading it a bit more there's a couple of things that puzzle me. They mention that if the bullet itself wobbles or spins it means the bullet is seated to deep. And they state the bullet doesn't need to be seated as deeply, now isn't the depth of the bullet determined by the chamber, throat etc?
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Boolit Master

I always like to see folks be innovating but not sure about this. Is bullet seating and crimping done with regular dies?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    I always like to see folks be innovating but not sure about this. Is bullet seating and crimping done with regular dies?
    It seems so, but even watching 2 videos that's the part they aren't showing. I've watched the first half of the two videos, it seems there main focus points are using there own brand of the sizing die and flaring tool. Then the video with the Dillon 650 they say the flaring from the flaring/powder drop is OK. Seems when sizing there brass, it's important that you don't pull down the case using the extractor groove. There die is spring loaded so it'll push the brass down after sizing and not put stress on the extractor/head area of the case. Of course they stress the case must be lubed even though there sizer is carbide.

Annealing Services

Banned

if you pull up on the case like in a normal size die you'll pull the 2 piece design apart.
    the flash hole is what holds everything together. [like a hollow 2 ended rivet]
    everyone I have discussed this with doesn't like it for one reason or another.

my problem is what happens when the extractor jerks on the bottom of the case held together with that tube.
    you can't size them in a regular die because the case will separate from that stress soo...

this idea is not gonna make any inroads with reloaders other than someones gonna show up somewhere with a box full to show everyone.

Boolit Buddy
    Another gimmick like pcp in my opinion. Don't see it ever catching on. Remember this stuff though so in 20 years you can tell the younger generation about it when they ask "Anyone ever heard of this stuff? "

Boolit Buddy
    I'm guessing that they are chasing military contracts with the "ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain" theory.....but if they carry twice the ammo, they are back where they started......

Boolit Master
    already said but I'll just add if it sounds to good to be true then !!!

Maybe buy a box or two to set aside as a curio for the Grandkids.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    if you pull up on the case like in a normal size die you'll pull the 2 piece design apart.
    the flash hole is what holds everything together. [like a hollow 2 ended rivet]
    everyone I have discussed this with doesn't like it for one reason or another.

my problem is what happens when the extractor jerks on the bottom of the case held together with that tube.
    you can't size them in a regular die because the case will separate from that stress soo...

this idea is not gonna make any inroads with reloaders other than someones gonna show up somewhere with a box full to show everyone.
    This! Eventually, the forces of the extraction process, i.e. of yanking the cartridge from the chamber, is going to separate the case and cause a stoppage. If it will do it in the reloading die, it will do it in a chamber. Of course I have no first hand knowledge of this happening. Just conjecture.

Another p.i.t.a. scenario......if these catch on, us reloaders are going to have to sort carefully when picking up range brass.

Boolit Master
    Maybe everybody remembers when tupperware guns first came out and how everybody said they would never last. Imagine if we could simply run a shop magnet over the range and collect all our brass? So its new and different, maybe its better, maybe its not. But perhaps it should be given a chance.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Wonder how many trips through a 1911 they will last.
    My 45ACP will rip cases in two if i spank it to hard.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    ......if these catch on, us reloaders are going to have to sort carefully when picking up range brass.
    course you could run a magnet over the pile and all these fancy new 'toys' would get pulled out by that way

In any event I'll be saving my $$ for other things
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master

This has been done before with rifle brass for high pressure loads. Steel case heads. I seen a few of them. I believe the attachment was different though. Steel cases were used during WW2 due to brass shortages. Some other countries used steel cases for ammo. I'm also curious not only on the "joint" but also the seal of it, gas could blow back through a loose or weakened joint easily.

Who wants to lube high volume pistol cases (9mm, 40, 45acp) and run them through a $100 spring loaded die when you can just run them through a $35 carbide die set with no lube? This is one of those "looks good on paper" idea.

Always somebody trying to ice skate uphill.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Grand Master

I expect brass to be around for a while longer. I remember a few things over the years that were good ideas and never took off. I think H&K played around with careless ammo at one time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast