RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Venturino 44 Special/Magnum data?

Boolit Grand Master

Long ago I decided that I would pursue either the 45 Colt or the 44 (or the 43 as I prefer to call it). I figured there wasn't much point in chasing after both of them but some day I'll break that promise to myself. I love the 45 Colt but an old shooting buddy taught me to appreciate the 44 Special so someday I'll have a Ruger (or maybe a Colt) in 44 Spl. I don't enjoy shooting a full-house 43 Mag but there's something very "special" about the magnum as well. The 43 Mag is unusually accurate in more than a few loads, it's one of those cartridges that seems to be inherently accurate. Rumor has it I may even own a pistol with a .43 bore, possibly even a set of dies. I'll neither confirm nor deny at this time.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    The only thing I ever got from the 44mag was a flinch, same with Keith,s 44 spec. load. I love the versatility of the special from my mountain lite to the flattop and N frame. I wish my a.d.d. would allow me to concentrate thru the magnum's recoil but ain't gonna happen.

I notice a few references to 700X powder. How do you get accurate drops with those big soft flakes? I have a couple pounds of it that a friend gave me, but I get erratic charges with it.

UPDATE... I just answered my own question. I loaded 50 rounds of .45 ACP with 4.5 grains, and weighed 10 of them. Each was exactly 4.5 grains. Apparently it's not a problem with a Dillon.
    Last edited by scattershot; 05-23-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Banned

another fan of the 44 spec and even more so of the 44mag that is far from a fanboy of the 45 colt. Ive yet to find a 44 spec that wasnt a great shooter and its very rare to find a 44 mag that also isn't a tack driver. 45 colts on the other hand are a much bigger challenge to get to shoot well and its an exceptional one that will shoot a 3 inch 50 yard group and the ones that do 9 times out of 10 require a bullet heavier then 300 grains and a fairly stout load to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Me and the .45 Colt just can't get along. The .44 special and I like each other.

Boolit Master

Apparently, regarding the .44spl, you either love or hate it. There seems to be no middle ground.
    I am one who loves it, but it's frustrating me right now. I am trying to find load data for the .44spl with 220 grain lead bullets. Apparently no one shoots them because my Lyman book has no data and neither does Hornady. If you could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

TIA!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.nzha.co.nz/wp-content/upl...08/Lyman44.pdf

There are some loads for the lyman 429215 in here.

Boolit Master

Thanks! That info is hard to find! I really appreciate it.

Ken
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12