Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: .44 Special load for 215 grain wadcutter

Boolit Master

.44 Special load for 215 grain wadcutter

A while back I picked up an oddball mold for a .430 215 grain solid base wadcutter. Since I've had no gun to shoot it in I haven't even cast any, but tomorrow I'm picking up an S&W 696 .44 and I'd like to work up some loads for it. Do any of you have any ideas? I'd like to work up to something that would work as a defense load--can you say real wide meplat! All input with any powder suggestions will be welcome. GF

Boolit Grand Master
    My 230 grain NOE WC likes 5.0 grains of Red Dot, but I don't load it for Self-defense, only terget work. I will say that since starting to use this combo, Targets FEAR me. It shoots great!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

There isn’t a lot of data out there for the 44spl/wc/hbwc combo. I’ve cast, loaded, shot the lyman 429384 & mihec hbwc’s.

I’ve always used the loading data for “TARGET” loads for the 45acp as a starting point for my 44spl/wc/hbwc loads.

What am I calling target loads, a 200g swc bullet in the 45acp being pushed by:
    Bullseye=4.0g
    W231/hp38=4.2g
    Unique=4.2g

You will find that the magic # is 5, meaning 5g of common powders like any of the 1’s listed above, or red dot that has already been posted or green dot.

I’m currently using the mihec 220g hbwc with a load of 5.0g (go figure) of an old Winchester powder (ww452).

Just start low & work your loads up.

Boolit Master

I at one time had the Lee 215gr WC but now use the Saeco# 944 200gr WC , I only loaded these bullets in 44 mag brass at velocties from 800 to 1,450 fps, accuracy usually degrades at 50 yards + . I bought this mould for bowling pin shoot's where it excells.
    Id start load development with 4.0gr of BE or Tightgroup powder in 44 special cases and go to perhaps 7.0gr as max.

Boolit Master

Took a break for supper, and the lightbulb came on! in handguns magazine dated march 1990 theres a write up on the Lee 215 WC in the 44 special .
    loaded in 44 special case, WLP , Lee 215gr WC, COL 1.215, ill give you the best loads.
    5.0gr BE @838fps , 1.5" group
    6.5gr Unique @924fps, 1.84" group
    The best group was with 5.0gr 452AA @820fps, 1.15" group. this is now a discontued powder,

the loads with BE go from 5.0 to 5.5gr @922fps
    the loads with Unique go from 6.5 to 8.0gr @1,069fps
    Hope this will be some help! Bob

Boolit Master
    Thanks, guys. This is just what I was looking for. I have the powders and now I can cast if the wind dies down, and then work up some loads. GF

Im loading for 44 mag and have used that bullet. Im using 7.4 grains of unique which gives great performance for punching paper. That load should be safe in the 44 spl case.

Boolit Mold
    The only load I have used with a 215 grain 44 cast bullet is 6.0 grains of Unique with a Remington large pistol primer, number 2-1/2, as I recall. I have found thru the years that this primer is the best for accurate loads in 44 Special and 45 Colt revolver loads.
    Gary

It's a shame about that old winchester powder (452/trap100), I try to pick it up at gunshows when I can find it. This powder would shoot lights out with any caliber & a wc/hbwc bullet. I burned countless #'s of this powder pushing h&g #50's & 429348's.

Attachment 57379

Down to around 3# in the 10# tub & a full 1#er.

Boolit Master

Tag for references!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master

Cool info...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    Took a break for supper, and the lightbulb came on! in handguns magazine dated march 1990 theres a write up on the Lee 215 WC in the 44 special .
    loaded in 44 special case, WLP , Lee 215gr WC, COL 1.215, ill give you the best loads.
    5.0gr BE @838fps , 1.5" group
    6.5gr Unique @924fps, 1.84" group
    The best group was with 5.0gr 452AA @820fps, 1.15" group. this is now a discontued powder,

the loads with BE go from 5.0 to 5.5gr @922fps
    the loads with Unique go from 6.5 to 8.0gr @1,069fps
    Hope this will be some help! Bob
    Dang just what I needed thanks bob

Banned

never loaded a wad cutter in mine. but ill give you some good advice for your 696. I have one and so does my buddy and the 240 rcbs swcgc and the lyman 429215 are hands down the bullet that shoots in our guns. My favorite load for mine is the classic old 7.5 grains of unique with the 240 or 8.0 with the 215. Herco does just as well. Just bump the load a half a grain heavier. For a small light gun mine is absolutely scary accurate with those bullets.

You might try 8gr of 700X with the 210-215, it shoots an all holes touching clover leaf in my 44 at 50 yards.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Grand Master

I was "souveniered" a couple hundred of those WCs once. I found 5 gr of Bullseye or 5.5 gr of 700X to be excellent loads running right at 800 fps in a 4" M28 S&W I had converted to 44 SPL.

Larry Gibson