RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any point to switching to PC

I'd rather paint my toe-nails than have to pc my bullets. I'm shooting up ammo way faster than I'm loading it, since I started shooting steel plates.

Boolit Bub
    If you use a progressive press with a bullet feeder then traditional cast/lubed are a non-starter (unless you work inside a fridge with very hard/non-tacky lube).

Boolit Master
    Been casting for many years, started powder coating and like the color bullets and the very clean barrels, have a Lyman sizer a Star sizer but only use the Lee push thru now with the powder coated bullets. A home made gas check on plain base powder coated bullets is what I shoot now out of all the hand guns and M 1 Carbine.
    To each his own.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post
    Can you make your own powder coat?

Josh
    Not unless you're a chemist.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Man
    If you work it out through some trial and error it starts making good sense for steel shooting. We can already shake a couple hundred at a time and bake up to 1000 bullets per batch with one coat full coverage. Currently we are trying to get the bullet feeder going with our preferred bullet. Once that's done we will be VERY happy with PC.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Agree 100% but got a very nice oven at yard sale for 5 and spent another 8 on a good thermometer. Smokes powder is cheap and a pound will do , well I don't know cause I'm still on my first pounds of the various colors I bought from him 3 years ago!
    The yard sale toaster oven is the plan. I have to try it - if I can do 500 in an hour there's no way I can match that with a lubesizer and I'm not a tumble lube fan.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    I'd rather paint my toe-nails than have to pc my bullets. I'm shooting up ammo way faster than I'm loading it, since I started shooting steel plates.
    I'm missing the point here. PC may take more work than lube but does not take any longer. Even if you tumble lube (which is what I used to do) you have to let them dry usually over night. I can cast PC size and load all in the same day.

I can easily PC size and load in one day.

Motor

Quote Originally Posted by selmerfan View Post
    So...I've been casting for about a decade now and have all the molds I NEED for my guns and a Lyman 4500 lubesizer. I've been researching this whole PC thing and wondering if it's worth switching methods for lube/leading prevention if I already have what I need and is working well. I'm shooting cast out of a .357 Max TC Encore 18" barrel, Smith K38, .260 Rem, and .30-40 Krag single-shot. All use Lotak Hard for lube and I have great results. Am I missing out on something by NOT using PC?
    For me it is about the smoke & crud. I am not a fan of cleaning my guns, as I shoot almost ever weekend. So PC allows mea cleaner gun & almost no smoke, important for IDPA or other speed competitions. Plus they are cleaner to load on my presses.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

In Remembrance

Just because I could............. as an experiment and to pass time I cast 105 LEE C324-175-R boolits, water-dropped them, dried them and then weighed each one. All were on a bell curve within a few tenths of a grain high/low around 177.5 grs. from my straight WWs alloy. Of the total, 17 were exactly 177.5 grs. After PC-ing one coat of Smoke's Carolina Blue and weighing each one again, now I had 35 boolits weighing exactly 177.5 grs. with the others again spread within a few tenths of a grain high/low, now a few more high than low because of the PC. So it seems that the PC will even things out a little for those that worry about such. YMMV, but I don't 'lube' any more.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Quote Originally Posted by selmerfan View Post
    So...I've been casting for about a decade now and have all the molds I NEED for my guns and a Lyman 4500 lubesizer. I've been researching this whole PC thing and wondering if it's worth switching methods for lube/leading prevention if I already have what I need and is working well. I'm shooting cast out of a .357 Max TC Encore 18" barrel, Smith K38, .260 Rem, and .30-40 Krag single-shot. All use Lotak Hard for lube and I have great results. Am I missing out on something by NOT using PC?
    You are missing, nothing, nada, zip and zero unless you have some overwhelming need for colored bullets. I have no such need. I have been casting for well over 50 years, have broken all the needed codes and am happy to go out shooting naked lead alloy.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I did some PC after buying a Harbor Freight powder gun ... it coated well but was too much work. Then I did the BB in the swirl in a plastic tub and stand them up and bak method... still seemed like a lot of work, and never got around to trying just letting then lay on their sides like some are doing. A friend just tried the Hi-Tek coatings and loves it ... that will probably be my next trial.

I don't know if the Hi-Tek coating is good for hi speed loads, but right now my fastest load is probably my 45-70 350 gr boolits moving about 1800 fps. I have been dipping those boolits in Felix lube and getting great results without any leading.

By the way...
    If it works to put a possum in the pot...
    reminded me that on my way home last night I hit the brakes for a possum that would have made it across the road if he hadn't freaked out and doubled back into my path. Actually skidded across him, doubled back and found he was messed up but still breathing and drove across him a couple of more times to put him out of his misery. I would have brought him home for supper but he was too messed up (not)

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Here's why it's better than lube:

-reduced lead exposure for operators
    -cleaner operation in guns, bores and gas systems
    -use of bullet feeders
    -no lube smoke
    -seating and other press dies stay clean
    -easily add diameter to small bullets
    -increased accuracy (ymmv)
    Last edited by Drew P; 03-18-2017 at 12:17 PM.

There is only ons real reason to switch. Or try it.

Because. You CAN.

Regardless of your OP on it it works. But so dose the traditional ways.

For me its just cleaner with no lube smoke or smell.

As i primarily shoot indoor s.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

I have noticed that the human being can come up with all kinds of reasons why what they do is the best way to do it. The correctness of their assertion is depending on the importance of their reasons.

When it comes to the asserted superiority of powder coating bullets, none of the reasons given are relevant or important to me. Therefore I don't. For those who consider these reason important, than do.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bstone5 View Post
    Been casting for many years, started powder coating and like the color bullets and the very clean barrels, have a Lyman sizer a Star sizer but only use the Lee push thru now with the powder coated bullets. A home made gas check on plain base powder coated bullets is what I shoot now out of all the hand guns and M 1 Carbine.
    To each his own.
    Hello bstone. Would you mind sharing how you gas check plain base bullets? That sounds like something I might be interested in learning, especially with home-made GC's. If you have some pictures, well that would be worth a 1,000 words... Thanks!
    [COLOR=#0000cd][I][SIZE=4][FONT=arial black]LeadPoisonTX[/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/COLOR]

Boolit Buddy
    for me it was getting away from all that messy grease, I powder coat and will never go back to the grease because of the mess. what gets me is that everyone thinks they know best and everyone needs to do it their way, I say live and let live, do what you like to do and leave everyone make their own minds up what they like.

Boolit Master
    sold my loober sizer...won't go back!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    . .. and asking "do you want to taste the rainbow?"
    Now if I could just come up with one for the red, white and blue ones....
    I suspect something with " colors of freedom" in it.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's why it's better than lube:

-reduced lead exposure for operators
    -cleaner operation in guns, bores and gas systems
    -use of bullet feeders
    -no lube smoke
    -seating and other press dies stay clean
    -easily add diameter to small bullets
    -increased accuracy (ymmv)
    Add this to the list: Powder Coated bullets are impervious to the effect of Summer heat...even in a desart or the trunk of a car in full sunlight. Powder Coating will not melt as will all grease lubes.

Pros and cons to everything but to those of us who shoot a LOT through a can, PC has been a godsend.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast