RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: I need help!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

I need help!

Lol...well as you can see I tried powder coating for the first time
    I warmed up my bullets to 170 degrees. ..the paint didn't stick...200, same...275, nope. So I bumped up the stove to 325. The bullets stuck together with huge wads of paint and I had to peel them apart. I placed them in the oven on tin foil and needless to say they stuck and melted together. Well they are all getting melted down again to start over. I watched a few youtube vids but apparently not enough. What is the proper temp to get powder coating to initially stick to bullets and what will they not stick to while baking them? I must have to get a mesh tray with a drip pan under it?Attachment 193500

Boolit Master

Don't heat boolits for shake and bake pc. Use non-stick foil or parchment paper(in baking stuff at the store) to line trays. Smoke 4320 is a vendor here in the VS section that sells premium powders that work well for us, and he has step by step directions on his powder thread. This is way easier than you think, just check out smokes instructions and don't over think it!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...owder-For-sale
    The instructions are lost #3
    Last edited by jcren; 04-18-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Man
    No heat, swirl and shake them in a number 5 plastic container (many food containers are #5, just look at the recycle symbol). About a tablespoon of powder at a time in the container. Add more only as needed. If your powder stops sticking entirely, you may have contaminated some powder. Clean out container start over with fresh powder. We've only had that happen once but pay attention to wet or oily towels.

If your bullets are clean and not wet or greasy (shouldn't be if you just cast them) it should static up and stick real well when you shake them. If not, try a different powder.

Don't make this more complicated than it is. Shake a lot of the powder off. If there's too much the bullets will stick together really bad and you'll be pounding them all day to separate them. Harbor Freight Red sticks together anywhere from lightly to moderately. You're better off shaking too much off than having them stick. You'll also be surprised how much sifting you have to do in the trays. A lot more shaking off than you'd think. Try to shake too much off a couple of batches. Overdo it. See how much shaking it takes to stop getting good coverage. You'll be surprised. At some point the powder just doesn't want to come off any more.

We don't use foil, parchment paper or anything else. Just pile them up in the trays. Anywhere up to 600 bullets per tray. HF Red will probably have a few bullets stick to the corners of the trays each batch but no problem if you shake enough excess off before baking.

The Bed Bath and Beyond trays work real well. And quench the tray full of bullets in a tub of water right after you take it out of the oven. It makes the bullets both come out of the tray and separate a lot easier. It's a fast process once you just get used to doing it.

We did 1200 in one bake a few days ago.

Also, was that picture of melted bullets? It's hard to tell. If those melted in your oven your temps are WAY WAY WAY off. You should be 400f to 425f. To melt the bullets would take 550-650. That should never ever happen. Dial thermostats don't work on toasters.

It looks like you didn't read any of the stickies on PC. The oven needs 400deg, check with thermometer. The bullets can't be tossed in randomly, they will stick together. Yes they need to stand alone for best results. You can either spray & bake or shake & bake, the powder will stick either way if you follow instructions in the previous posts on PC.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The oven was a 400 degrees for 20min. The silver attached the red bullets is tinfoil stuck to it along with way too much l
    Melted powder coating.

Banned

forget what you read.
    start over.
    shake at room temp.
    stand them up on parchment paper or NON STICK AL. foil on the N/S side.
    if your gonna lay them down do so on a metal basket for the best results, or on the other 2 without them all being in a big glob.
    if you cook them in a glob you'll end up with a glob.

Boolit Master
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    The oven was a 400 degrees for 20min. The silver attached the red bullets is tinfoil stuck to it along with way too much l
    Melted powder coating.
    Did you just throw bullets on foil & spray or what? Are you shaking & baking or spraying? Your oven temp must be way off to melt the bullets, they aren't going anywhere at 400deg. As noted reg foil sticks. I use small gage wire baskets, stand the bullets up, bake 13-14m. The bullets will stick slightly to the wire but pop right off when cool.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol