RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plans for the scale model Gatling Gun

Banned
    Well I am pretty certain that me n my dad have settled on doing the RG-G Gatling gun verses the D&E Gatling gun. Although there are many different reasons why one person would want to do the one version before doing the other version, from some of my own views and from what I have personally been finding as I keep reading about both these .22 cal Gatling guns are the following:
    FIRST is the issue of the caliber each one shoots. The D&E was actually designed to only shoot the .22 Short and the RG-G was designed to shoot the .22 Long. So what's the big deal? Well have you visited or called around your local sporting goods stores and places like walmart looking for the shorts? Of the 10 different stores I called in a 20 mile radius, only 2 of them carried the .22 Shorts. walmart was one who told me they only keep literally a box or 2 on hand and don't order them in on a regular basis. From what the second store owner told me was that he doesn't even remember how long his .22 shorts been on the shelf and he doesn't bother with trying to order any since there isn't customers coming in and asking for them which is what most all other stores told me as well. However the ammunition scare has died down a bit more and so you can now go to just about any ammo store and they will most likely have plenty of .22 Longs and although the price has gone up on them, the availability and still reasonable cost of them is the key factor for choosing the RG-G design especially for a gun that can suck down 500 round cartons in just minutes.
    SECOND I called and talked on the phone with Paul Moore the designer of the RG-G and with Ms. Schneider the wife of the late Douglas Schneider who designed the D&E Gatling gun. Both people are very nice and helpful. They didn't try to push their plans on you or try to put down the other competitor's plans but just truly down-to-earth people who I enjoyed having a conversation with. The main thing that leaned me toward the RG-G was the issue of the inventor is still alive and actually answers the home phone. He genuinely loves spending time discussing the gun and trying to steer people toward the answers they need, where as Douglas Schneider passed away approx 8 years ago and so when there are issues that need addressed such as mistakes that were made in the plans n such, there isn't the designer there anymore to update the plans or give any online help in the forums. Now RG-G does have a forum on their website and D&E does not. Although there are some discussions on the D&E Gatling on the RG-G forum, there isn't many discussions that can be found on the D&E compared to the RG-G.
    THIRD Many people have been reporting more problems in the same areas concerning the heart of the D&E Gatling gun than with the RG-G which has to do with the rotating/chambering/firing mechanism. The D&E doesn't use a spring loaded mechanism where as the RG-G does use a spring-loaded mechanism Pinpointing what the exact downside is, is something I am currently looking into on a deeper lever before I attempt to describe it here, but when there are as many people who have brought up the same issues of a problem in a particular area of a gun, then there is a very good chance that it's a genuine concern to give much attention to.
    FOURTH There are different reasons why a person would want a small gun compared to a larger gun. If we're discussing the situation of carrying a concealed fire arm, then more often than not, most would agree that you don't want the world's smallest gun since the take-down power has been lost but yet you don't want a Dirty Harry .44mag that easily has the take-down power but now lost the concealed aspect. So when it comes to these Gatling gun kits, there are going to be one person's personal preferences over another person's preference since the size of the gun determines more or less materials that it will take to construct the gun, and size also determines more and less work that it takes to finish the project. Another thing to keep in mind is the type and size of machinery that you have can influence the choice of going with the RG-G's plans that are 1/2 scale of the original Gatling gun or the D&E plans that are the 1/3 scale version. Since my dad's work shop is set up with machinery that can easily do either sized Gatling gun, based on the bigger-is-better philosophy, the choice is easy to go with the RG-G's 1/2 scale...it definitely stands out more and so looks more impressive!
    FIFTH Out of the handful of these scaled-down Gatling guns that I have seen the videos for, I have only seen 2 of the D&E version which appeared to shoot without any malfunctions and I have seen less than 10 of the RG-G which appeared to shoot without any malfunctions. Mostly you will come across VERY short clips of people who are in the process of making these guns which is kinda disappointing when we would have to wonder that if so many plans have been sold, then why are there so few videos showing them having been completed and then taken out to be fired? Did some people bite off more than they could chew and so had to stop in the middle of the project because materials can be ridiculously expensive especially brass? Did a lot of other need-to-do jobs come up around the house that took priority over building the Gatling gun? Did some people get into the project to find out that their shop just doesn't have the right lathe, milling machine, or other tools to finish it? Hmmm or is it that some people built the Gatling gun, it works awesomely, but yet they are just a little worried about showing off such a gun even though it is legal since it's under the Class 1 fire arms? Well who knows and I know that we don't care why, especially when me and my dad have it completed and will get to start cutting down trees for fire wood on a whole new level!!!! lol
    Well gotta get going but will be posting here as often as possible when we get the plans within the next month or so and will possibly try to do a few youtube videos, but trying to set up jobs in the milling machine or lathe and having cameras running while trying to focus on what to say while you're trying to run the machine, isn't always easy and so we'll see how it goes
    Last edited by Get-The-Lead-Out; 03-11-2017 at 11:05 PM.