RepackboxLoad DataPBcastcoReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman #358311

Boolit Master

Lyman #358311

I picked up this Lyman #358311 four cavity mold in a trade. Just gave it a workout today. This mold makes a lot of traditional boolits in a hurry. I love that 160gr round nose look. Bad thing is it's heavy and that big thick sprue plate takes a real whack to get it to move.

While I love the boolit this mold is just too much for my poor arthritic hands and shoulder.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I tried the 4 cav.; gave it up and now use a DC, I can put out as many as I need and I enjoy every minute doing it. Great bullet, I've been using it for almost 60 years.

That boolit is one of the most accurate in my revolvers. It works in all of them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey my Mother was from Kaufman--her childhood home is now under the lake there.

That boolit is a favorite of mine also. My 4 cavity is one of the easiest casting molds I own. Preheat and go, bullets rain out, usually good from the first cast and it is lighter than my Brass MP molds. A proper guide or brace to rest the mold on while it fills will go a long way towards helping with the pain.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Run a little hotter, don't mold let cool down too mush between pours. Maybe set on a hot plate.

If by chance you going to sell, or looking to trade. Let us know I maybe interested or someone else. I think I have that mold in 2 cavity mold but would have to check.

It is a great bullet and the one I shoot the most. I also have a 4 hole Lyman, but buy them from Matts Bullets these days. The alloy is correct and the lube is good.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    One of my favorite molds as well and a great boolit! I agree on the 4 city mold like you talk about. I have a couple of them and to me - too heavy and I hate having to smack the sprue plate. I can mold faster with a 2 city than I can with a Lyam/Ideal 4 cavity. I didn't realize just what a real pain the are until I got a couple of 4 cavity NOE molds - a lot to be said for aluminum!

Boolit Master

Re the weight of Lyman/H&G 4-bangers. I make a stage out of lumber to go under the spout of my SAECO, just tall enough to allow about 1/2" clearance, and set the mold on that, sliding it in (or out) to align the spout with the desired cavity. True, I have to lift it in & out, but I don't have to hold it while pouring. Just my solution to the weight problem.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    I often cast with a Dual Cavity Lyman 358311.

I adore the mould, and the boolits that it drops.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master
    I've been waiting for a long time for one to show up in the NOE inventory- still waiting!
    Loren

Boolit Buddy
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...fnoo85i8ddsrs5

Looks like NOE has it now in the catalog of molds......sorry not in stock. Didn't read it properly

Quote Originally Posted by 35Whelen View Post
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...fnoo85i8ddsrs5

Looks like NOE has it now in the catalog of molds......sorry not in stock. Didn't read it properly
    The Lyman/Ideal 358311 weighs in at 160 grains. While the shape is very similar, the NOE boolit you mention is a lower weight. I think the NOE would be a great performer but it isn't the same boolit as the original 358311.

Boolit Master
    Just cast a whole bunch today with a Lyman 4 cavity . Even my son thought the mold was heavy. Great bullet so it is worth the pain.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    That boolit is one of the most accurate in my revolvers. It works in all of them.
    Same Here! It is without doubt the most accurate boolit in my Smith 15 and My Smith 19 Awhile back Buckshot HP'd one of my cavities NOW That one became even more accurate!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington