Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Walk Down Memory Lane

A Walk Down Memory Lane

Been a LONG time since I saw this. When was this manufactured? Most are FULL. Still SMELL fresh. Only the square 2400 is still factory sealed. Probably going to sale most of it. Is it old enough for collectors or just BLOW IT UP one little case full at a time and have a ball. He told me there was a little powder included but this made me smile. Hope it does you also.

Safe shooting
    Thanks
    for looking
    Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101_2143.jpg   101_2144.jpg  
    Last edited by tred1956; 03-01-2017 at 03:44 PM.
    Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better !!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Why on earth would you dispose of any of it???
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Not dispose of. I mean LOAD IT and shoot it one little case at a time.

Thanks
    Doug

Boolit Grand Master

I think I'd just burn it (in little brass capsules plugged with lead stoppers)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I found some old Reloader powder that they discountinued at a gun show. New sealed cans. Gave me a good reason to use some of the old manuals I had laying around.

Boolit Master

Ues it up

If the powder was stored in a cool dry place, it`s good to go ( it will almost last forever) . If I have the same powder. I would shoot it all up .

Boolit Master

Some of it is probably 1980's production - some of it earlier.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

I happened upon a similar stash last year. Took me a while to find data for stuff like 452AA, but it does exist. I got two of the big round canisters of 452AA and use it for 38 special.
    Now, to find a use for this 473AA.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Buddy

When I think of now may empty cans just like those that I tossed in the trash during the 80s, I could kick myself. Even empty they are worth something today. I believe the square can is the oldest one.
    L.E.C.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    mmm 452AA ,I have an 8lb container of it wondering what I can use it for .Dont loadfor shotgun , but for rifles 303 brit , 44-40 , 32-20 , 357 , 45-70 ,303-25, 303-270 , 380 rook , 300 sherwood .I read that 452AA is eqivalent to WST , not sure on this info .

Looks a little like my powder cache. Still good and from the 70's, 80's &90's.

Boolit Master
    I'm very weird when it comes to powder. If I'm not the one who opened the can, I don't use the powder. Just the way I've always been.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Step very carefully with the opened cans.

Search for a description of the individual powders and compare the description to what you actually have. I have bought garage sale gun powder, usually as part of a take it all kind of deal and when I got it home and had a chance to examine closely, I found I had mixed powder. Fertilizer for the lawn.

At the gun club we have an ambulance chaser, I swear he gets his finger in every estate for 50 miles around, he regularly brings in opened cans of powder to peddle that are definitely not what is on the label. His nickname is Mr. Haney....

I would not hesitate to use it, I would just make sure that what is in the can matches what is on the label. I would also load up just a couple of light experimental loads.

Looks like a great find.

Thanks fellows. I will proceed with caution for sure. Read in an old post that 452AA is the same as Titegroup. Any opinions on this?
    Thanks
    Doug

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tred1956 View Post
    Thanks fellows. I will proceed with caution for sure. Read in an old post that 452AA is the same as Titegroup. Any opinions on this?
    Thanks
    Doug
    I don't know if they are the same, but easy enough to trade you into a couple pounds of Titegroup if that's what you want and if you aren't far from Charlotte.

I'm putting together a display of empty powder and primer packaging, if you find yourself tossing empties please let me know. I've paid a few bucks for some and for others I'm committed to a donation to the forum.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BigEyeBob View Post
    mmm 452AA ,I have an 8lb container of it wondering what I can use it for .Dont loadfor shotgun , but for rifles 303 brit , 44-40 , 32-20 , 357 , 45-70 ,303-25, 303-270 , 380 rook , 300 sherwood .I read that 452AA is eqivalent to WST , not sure on this info .
    Find a copy of the 10th edition of the Winchester Components and Reloading Catalog. Think it was printed in 1989. It should have a few .45 ACP and 38 Spec. loads for 452AA in it. The auction sites have some.

452AA works well for both shotguns, and handguns in the .45 Cal. range. Consult some manuals. I had two of the tall metal cans of it like in your photo and used one for loading 12 Ga. shells last winter, have one unopened remaining. Just saw a mention of it being used to load .45 ACP on this forum a few days ago, but don't know which thread it was.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Powder (Vintage) Front Pic.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	189646

These were full when I acquired them but had the evil red dust and vapor. Lit a lot of it, poured the rest on the lawn.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

If it smells good use it with confidence. If it doesn't load it in starting load charges and plink it away. It won't hurt your gun just your ES and SD. It will still work. I used up a square cardboard can of Bullseye that came to me half full (50yrs old at least) with Western primers that were round faced and packaged in wood dividers in the cardboard slip cover. Not a single misfire. I have some IMR 4198 that's 40+years old I use for reduced loads. I agree you should make sure what's in the can matches the label. Manufacturer's websites would help here. My opinion based on my experience feel free to ignore.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    452AA was renamed Winchester Super Target after they made a slight formula change to control burn rate better!

Do not use magnum primers with 452AA, velocity and accuracy go out the door, an old Winchester manual will have 452AA load data for the 45 auto and maybe 9MM AS WELL AS THE 40 S&W.

If you decide you don't want it PM me this stuff is GOLD in the 45 auto!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast