Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Uberti 1885 High Wall 45/70 strength

Uberti 1885 High Wall 45/70 strength

I noticed in the Lyman Cast Bullet manual that the 45/70 ammunition is loaded according to the strength of the rifle. There are loads for the Springfield Trap Door (mildest loads), for the 1886 lever action and Marlin 1895 (moderate loads), and for the Ruger #1 (heavy loads). Although I do not intend to load anything hot, where does the strength of the Uberti 1885 High Wall 45/70 fall? Is it like the Trap Door, the 1886, or the Ruger #1 in strength?

For what it is worth, I do intend to load ammo more like that of the Trap Door, but I need to know the strength of the action of this rifle.

Tex

Boolit Master
    I can't speak for the Uberti, but having owned a couple of Pedersoli's and currently owning a Winchester/Miroku I can tell you this. It is NOT up to the strength of the Ruger #1. Not even close. It's stronger than the Trapdoor. Winchester/Miroku and Pedersoli are rated for up to 27,000psi loads. These are mid-power loads. I can assure you that they are plenty powerful even at that. After owning a number of 45-70 rifles in Sharps, lever guns, and High Walls, I find that the most enjoyable loads to target shoot and hunt with are with bullets around 400g moving at around 1250-1500fps. I have yet to recover even one bullet out of a dozen or so deer shot at every conceivable angle. All are complete pass throughs. I have several acquaintences who have shot black bear, moose, and buffalo who report pass throughs with those same power levels. It's always good to ask if you're not sure. Good luck and have fun.