WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I need help with a new LnL - It doesn't eject!

Boolit Bub

I need help with a new LnL - It doesn't eject!

Hi guys,

As the subject says, I have a brand new Hornady Lock-n-Load AP press that I bought a few months ago but now that i'm finally ready to crank some 45 ACP ammo it doesn't eject. I already checked the basics (cleaned and lubed the shell plate, tried with another spring) but I still hope that it's all an user error and it will be an easy fix...

Every single round gets stuck on the crappie spring that supposedly is good at keeping each piece of brass in place (yeah, I like the Dillon system which I think it's a lot better) or when it ejects.... it ejects the whole spring, finished round, etc.
    Here's some pics of what is going on with my press:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170226_194602.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	189153

If anyone knows what might be going on it would make my day.
    Thanks!

Boolit Bub
    black rat your spring is on wrong. right before the case is supposed to eject the spring needs to ride under the little hump thing on the bottom plate.hold down on the spring in that area and it will feed itself where it is supposed to be. at the point shown it should be under the shell plate. also make sure you are using a shell plate for ezject system. older plates have to be machined for use with the ezject. there are some very good you tube vids that will help you tune and setup the press.

Boolit Bub
    ps. blackrat if you need any more help just pm me. be glad to help if i can. i don't nave a very good command of the written word. not much education here (note screen name!!)

Boolit Master
    As Hillbilly said the spring is on wrong. It's supposed to go under the shell plate.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkhillbilly49 View Post
    black rat your spring is on wrong. right before the case is supposed to eject the spring needs to ride under the little hump thing on the bottom plate.hold down on the spring in that area and it will feed itself where it is supposed to be. at the point shown it should be under the shell plate. also make sure you are using a shell plate for ezject system. older plates have to be machined for use with the ezject. there are some very good you tube vids that will help you tune and setup the press.
    Thanks, I just adjusted the spring to ride under the shall plate as you said and now I'm back in business.
    This is what happens to me because of cheating on my old Dillon 550. I'm glad it was an easy fix and it was only me being a noob with this press.

Cheers!

Boolit Bub
    no biggie rat. every press has it's quirks and compromises . like i said holler if you need anything else.

Boolit Master

watch the pawl adjustment, it will cause the press to bind.

If you install a lock washer on the shell plate bolt the shell plate will stay snug and will not allow the spring to creep under the plate and squish it.
    It doesn't have to be locked down tight, just snug where the washer is under compression, it'll hold that bold from backing off.

Good luck with your LNL, I sure like mine...charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys, I will watch out for the shell plate adjustment to make sure that it will not crush the spring and also for the indexing pawls.
    So far I've been a Dillon guy but I want to try an auto indexing press so here I am. I'm sure that it's going to be a hell of a press as soon as I get used to it.
    Then I hope to build a homemade case feeder to it and keep having fun with it!

Thanks again,
    Blackrat

One of the most important things on any progressive is to get your powder delivery down pat where you can trust it to deliver the load you intend.
    Not that the powder delivery is the most important part but each operation is equally important...it's just, the powder delivery is one of the most finicky to deal with, right when you think you have checked the throw enough times and are content with the delivery...the hopper is settling enough to make the drum take on a more dense load and thus heavier by .2'ths or so.
    I've been running the LNL, I think 6 years now...I still check the dispenser more often than not.
    You can make a lot of rounds before you realize you have...that little red plastic bin will overflow pretty quick while your marveling at the overall operation of the new to you press...one of the worst things to discover is that there's a problem in the powder delivery.
    Once you have to take down a couple hundred in one sitting you won't have to remember to keep an eye on the dispenser...you will be downright paranoid!

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    i adjust the powder throw down to the point i hear a tink at the top of shell plate travel. this helps kinda knock down the charge and helps keep powder throws fairly consistent. should hear a tink when the shell plate comes down to. easy to get this adjustment. hearing the tinks help the thrpw stay consistent. hope this helps.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    watch the pawl adjustment, it will cause the press to bind.
    Hey Rancher, your inbox is full, I wanted to send a PM.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

hate when that happens, will start dumping mail, thanks.

Boolit Master
    Blackrat phone Hornady and tell them your powder measure bushing is coming loose and they will send you some shims. They go between the top of the bushing and the o-ring. They work far better than thicker o-rings.

Boolit Mold
    One of the best things to do IMO is to YouTube highboy 76's hornady lnl setup videos. It will go through on how to setup everything. I am new to reloading and watched each of the videos a few times before setting my press up.

With regards to the shims you can also go to harbor freight and pickup a blue box of metric o rings. There is a slightly thicker one that should prevent the powder throw from walking. Goodluck!