Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punches!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!

Boolit Master

Punches!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!

Not sure what is going on with modern punches, but this morning alone I have wrecked a Starrett, 2 Grace and a Brownells punch. I swear these things are dead soft. The Grace literally crumbled as I was using it. I have a good bit of older punches (better/harder) at home I will need to bring into work........
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    Deleted
    Last edited by Buckshot Bill; 04-07-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Starter punches help. I've also broken a number of 1/16" punches, and have ground the jagged break off the tip and then they make good starter punches. They survive the first couple of good whacks needed to loosen the pin, then use the ordinary pin punch to finish the job.

Boolit Master

I filed and dressed the punches this morning until they crumbled to nothing. The punches I have at home are more hard. I have broken some throughout the years, but those get turned into starter punches, prick punches or scribes. Nail sets are pretty hard and work well for starting a pin out.

Boolit Buddy
    I have bent or broken more punches than I would like too. I keep a couple of nail sets (matched as close as possible, but undersized to the pin) when I need to drive a stubborn one. You can switch back to a more appropriate punch once the pin starts to move. So far, I haven't broken a nail set!

Banned
    Make yourself up some using a 1/4 piece of CRS round with a pin pressed in . Pins are from u joints

2 points, if you find a good older hard solid punch, buy it, never let it go.

Second, I have discovered that a piece of .22lr fired brass will fit on one of my punches, does a great job of not marring up the side of the gun and the pin. Can be replaced as often as is needed. That trick won't work in all cases but where it does work it is sweet.

I have been lucky enough to find several good old punches at auctions. They don't leave my house or my sight. I do have one cheap set of Harbor freight punches that seem fairly good. The smaller ones will bend, but I would rather have them bend than break.

Also save your broken Lee depriming pins. Darn handy size, and they are harder.

Boolit Buddy
    You've broken four tools from three different manufacturers, and it's the tool's fault?

I like blanket's idea. Brownell's makes something similar. It's a rod with a collet on one end where you put a 1/16" replaceable pin similar to a decapping pin. I have had to replace the punch part once. The free length is about a half-inch, but that is enough to get most pins broken loose.

Boolit Master

Lucky to have quite a few Snap On punches from the 70's. I've made super hard punches from old masonary bits, old ones not the china **** thats sold everywhere. Ususlly put kroil or similar on any pin overnight, heat pin with magnifing glass in the sun focused on the pin, then let it cool. Sometimes it works.
    Last edited by 10-x; 03-03-2017 at 09:27 PM.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    You ruined a Starrett punch?? I have 2 Starrett punches that I asked for from my dads estate. Gotta be 60 or more years old. No shattering those. What a shame.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I was knocking the rivets out of an 870 receiver. Actually 5 of them. I should have grabbed my automatic punch (Starrett) and used it at work. I am very shocked with the Grace punches, they just crumbled. I have older punches as well of my own- Snap On, Sears, Craftsman, Starrett even a JC Penney punch. They are all better than the ones I used the other day.

I save all the old US or Swiss made punches I can find. Lee Loader priming punches are good for large pins as are broken Mauser firing pins. On a pin that hasn't moved in 100 years- soaking in a penetrant for a week won't hurt. Small punches break when they meet their match.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Grand Master

We used ejector pins for making punches at work. Very good steel and meant for repeated impacts. We turned up handles from Brass copper or steel drilled a slightly under sized hole 1" deep and pressed the pin into it. On bigger punches we drilled a small thru hole so if the pin was damaged it could be pushed out and replaced easily. Starting with a short punch to get the pin moving, or one just long enough to do the job makes for a much stronger punch. Using a 4" punch to remove a 1" pin is asking for problems. On roll pins a cup style point on the punch helps release compress the pin when struck also.

Boolit Master
    Mayhew makes decent punches...can get them at NAPA

Won't be buying anymore new Lymans.

Boolit Master

Have kind of retired most of my old Starret stuff, all of it. Very hard to replace, no pun on the hard part,LOL. Always look at flea markets cause old Starret and Brown and Sharpe stuff shows up cheap.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

I have made many good punched by grinding Allen wrenches and concrete nails to shape.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Boolit Grand Master

If you get some lathe time turn a set of punch handles from stock and drill for inserted punch heads. I use old drill bits, when they break turn out the locking set screw and tap out the insert and slide in a new one from another drill bit. I also use a very short starter punch to get things going and then switch to a longer punch to finish up it sure saves bending a thin punch.

Boolit Master
    Not sure why they are all breaking. Maybe it the size. I have trouble with 1/8 rivets on the sickle bar. Every so often I get a junk one, they just go in trash. But for the most part they last until I miss or try and use them wrong. I look for brown colored ones in yard sales, flea markets. By the way I'm using a 12 once hammer to 3 pound sledge , mostly a 20 once ball peening hammer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast