MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman/Ideal #55 powder measure - slide use chart?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Lyman/Ideal #55 powder measure - slide use chart?

I just bought a vintage Ideal #55 measure that is in the original box but supposedly unused. I haven't got it yet but I did go to the Lyman site and uploaded the instruction sheet they have there for the current one. Always wanted one and since we will be moving from a house in to a condo when we get back to MI for the summer, I'll be making a new reloading bench in the basement and be able to expand a little bench wise. One end I want to set up for batch loading with my single stage, the 55, etc. and the other end I'll mount my Lee 4 hole turret for loading pistol.

I've done a search but haven't come up with what I'm looking for. I remember reading that there is a chart for the use of the "slides" and the ones to use or combination of slides to use for certain powders charges, etc. that would give the best results for the load weight and powder type.

Or . . . did I dream it? I realize that one has to play with it to get the correct weight of the powder you are trying to throw and check with a scale - but does such a chart exist to perhaps give the approximate settings and the slides to use and then you can fine tune it?

I did a search on the net and didn't come up with anything but it may have been I wasn't using the right search words?

If one exists, I'd sure appreciate a link to it or possibly someone could e-mail me a PDF of it?

Thanks.

For what it's worth, I usually use Bulls Eye, Red Dot, Unique - 38s, 9mm, 45 Colt/ACP so primarily pistol loads for batch loading on a single stage. I use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure attached to my powder thru die when loading pistol on my Lee 4 hole turret. I also would like to use the 55 to throw Red Dot for my light 8mm Mauser and 30-30. Right now I use a dipper and trickler to weigh out my bottle neck charges for the batch loading I do for them.

Jim

Boolit Grand Master
    Jim,

Have you checked on castpics? I did quite a bit of research when I got my first 55, and IIRC the markings are supposed to correspond to BP.

I just set mine to where it looks about right and then start weighing charges, no way am I going to trust "I think it is this line that gives me x.x grains of ?? powder."

Robert

Robert -

Thanks for the reply. I did look on CastPics but so far haven't found anything yet.

I fully agree with you about not trusting markings and I ALWAYS weigh when setting up any powder measure - and I never trust the markings I put down when I'm recording the settings I used the next time I set it up at a later date. I'm maybe a little OCD but once I get a measure set up . . . or even when I'm using a dipper and I am pretty consistent with one - I check about every 5 rounds just to make sure everything remains kosher - I'd rather catch it and find out after 5 rounds than to discover something isn't quite right after a large quantity and have to pull and dump them.

IIRC - what I read about was a chart that could be used as a general guide for various charges and powders for what slides worked best for consistent flow and charges in the 55 - say a certain charge of Bulls Eye - slide 1 could be used or to get a better and more consistent flow, slide 1 and 2 could be used in conjunction with each other to get the same charge but the measure would be more efficient and consistent - if that makes sense?

Not having ever used one, I figure the best way is to just sit down and "practice" setting and throwing the load weights in the powders and weight loads I use. Easy enough to do with just sitting and playing and weighing on the beam scale until I get it figured out. I was hoping that there might be a chart like I was asking about that could be used as a reference and which might explain the use of a single slide or the combined use of two slides together to get the most accurate weights out of the scale.

Thanks again and I'll keep looking - maybe someone will come along that will have further info.

Jim

Boolit Master
    its going to be a trial/error thing. Rule of thumb is for the large stick like 4350 use the main ,with the tops even, for flake like reddot close main and use top 2. for ball use the top 2 and for small charge like 2 to 9 use only the top.
    again it your call but has worked for 40yrs for me

thanks too many - that helps!

bbb, The chart you're thinking of may be for the Ideal/Lyman pistol powder measure with its various fixed rotors. (Said chart isn't very accurate, btw.) For the #55, I generally use all 3 slides, but the trick is to keep careful records of the position of the slides for each powder charge and powder type/name, i.e., a spreadsheet of sorts. That way, you can, with the assistance of a scale, quickly reestablish a given charge weight for a particular powder.

Boolit Master
    There was a chart for setting the 55.I found it somewhere on the internet a while back.I'll try to find it again or I can mail you a copy.I am not computer adept.Lyman quit furnishing the chart years ago because of liability.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know about a chart for initial settings.. But if you write the slide settings down in your load notes for each of the 3 slides when it is time to duplicate that load it will get you pretty close

The numbers will only complicate your loading experience and give you another thing to document and keep track of.

The numbers do not represent grains.

The large bar is your coarse adjustment and the small bar is the fine adjustment...prolly something like a 95% to 5% ratio.
    You'll get used to using it that way and adjustment will get faster with use.

Double tap it upon pick-up and delivery and that insures a complete load and discharge.

It's running neck and neck with my RCBS Uniflow for favorite dispenser.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    The chart is the antique reloading tools website.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I just bought a vintage Ideal #55 measure that is in the original box but supposedly unused. I haven't got it yet but I did go to the Lyman site and uploaded the instruction sheet they have there for the current one. Always wanted one and since we will be moving from a house in to a condo when we get back to MI for the summer, I'll be making a new reloading bench in the basement and be able to expand a little bench wise. One end I want to set up for batch loading with my single stage, the 55, etc. and the other end I'll mount my Lee 4 hole turret for loading pistol.

I've done a search but haven't come up with what I'm looking for. I remember reading that there is a chart for the use of the "slides" and the ones to use or combination of slides to use for certain powders charges, etc. that would give the best results for the load weight and powder type.

Or . . . did I dream it? I realize that one has to play with it to get the correct weight of the powder you are trying to throw and check with a scale - but does such a chart exist to perhaps give the approximate settings and the slides to use and then you can fine tune it?

I did a search on the net and didn't come up with anything but it may have been I wasn't using the right search words?

If one exists, I'd sure appreciate a link to it or possibly someone could e-mail me a PDF of it?

Thanks.

For what it's worth, I usually use Bulls Eye, Red Dot, Unique - 38s, 9mm, 45 Colt/ACP so primarily pistol loads for batch loading on a single stage. I use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure attached to my powder thru die when loading pistol on my Lee 4 hole turret. I also would like to use the 55 to throw Red Dot for my light 8mm Mauser and 30-30. Right now I use a dipper and trickler to weigh out my bottle neck charges for the batch loading I do for them.

Jim
    I believe the chart was for a Lyman #55 with a "Culver" conversion (spindle), used mostly by bench rest shooters.

You will find the Lyman 55 chart is most Lyman loading manuals. A phone call to Lyman will bring you one in the mail.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    and after you read the lyman chart. you will add it to the trash bin. its just a GUESS chart as there are so many powders now it wont even be close
    as said its trial /error
    you can close the top 2 and open the bottom to 50. if you use 4350 it would be close--If you use 4320 it will be way off
    if you use reddot it would be 50% or more off
    what i posted earlier has worked very good for 40yrs so i am too old to change now
    the marks will help you if you make a note of them and the powder /weight you are using . i do have a cheat sheet. it will get me close but not right just in the 2 to 3 gr area

Boolit Master
    antiquereloadingtools.com.Go to forums,Ideal subforum.On first page click on 55 manual.Second pdf is the chart.The chart is indeed in some of the older Lyman manuals.Somewhere around 37 to 41 editions.

Boolit Buddy
    Once you get it down its really pretty easy.. Just set the main slide so the charge is just a tick short, and fine adjust with the small slide.. Really within a min you got it. You can mark down the main slide point in your records if you want, but just your eyeballs, and tossing a few case loads, you will get there.

A big thanks to you all - I greatly appreciate your responses.

I figured it was probably a "trial and error" learning on it so I'll spend some time playing and throwing charges/weighing when I get it set up.

I'm a "right brained person" who has been married to a "left brained" wife for 45 years - plus she was a well organized teacher her entire career - I would have never made it in her class! Ha! But, when it comes to reloading, I have taught myself to be very "anal" and I keep a notebook page on each cartridge/load that I do. Once I get the charged down, it will be an easy thing to record the settings to use the next time as a "reference" when setting up the load drop grain weight. I'm not "high tech" but it may even pay to take a quick close up picture of the setting and run a copy off on the printer to staple to the load sheet for a reference. That may be over thinking it but sometimes it's quite a while between loadings of a certain cartridge/boolit and a "jog" to the old memory would be helpful I'm sure.

Again, many thanks for all the information - I'm looking forward to getting this measure and adding it to the bench. The 55 is a "classic" for sure and I don't think I have ever heard or talked with anyone who has one that doesn't like them!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by s1120 View Post
    Once you get it down its really pretty easy.. Just set the main slide so the charge is just a tick short, and fine adjust with the small slide.. Really within a min you got it. You can mark down the main slide point in your records if you want, but just your eyeballs, and tossing a few case loads, you will get there.
    That has pretty much been my experience as well. I have eight of these measure above me as I key this end. I keep them set for 2, 3, 3.5, 4.5,5, 6.5 grains of Bullseye. I also have on set fof 10 grains of 2400.

I also have a RCBS Little Dandy and a full set of rotors which I use allot. But, when I want EXACT charges of Bullseye, I pull down one the the Lyman 55s.

There is a fellow that makes and sells on Ebay powder weights for these measures as well as many other makes. I have one that floats between the various 55s and another for the RCBS LD. These things work, and produce very uniform small charge weight throws of various pistol powders.

Here is a pic of a Lyman 55 with the powder weight at work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails powder measure weight (480x640).jpg  
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 03-02-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks Char Gar - I'll check that powder weight out as it looks like a nifty little gadget.

We are moving from a house to a condo when we get back to MI for the summer so it will be "new reloading bench time". There is an area in the basement that I can spread out a little more than where I'm at now so it will probably be 2 benches instead of one. I have a feeling I am really going to like the 55 and am planning on making the bench so I can have more than one measure - it would be ideal (no pun intended) to have several and leave them set up as you do.

Thanks again - appreciate the photo and info!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Thanks Char Gar - I'll check that powder weight out as it looks like a nifty little gadget.

We are moving from a house to a condo when we get back to MI for the summer so it will be "new reloading bench time". There is an area in the basement that I can spread out a little more than where I'm at now so it will probably be 2 benches instead of one. I have a feeling I am really going to like the 55 and am planning on making the bench so I can have more than one measure - it would be ideal (no pun intended) to have several and leave them set up as you do.

Thanks again - appreciate the photo and info!

Jim
    I am a fan of these measures as they are an icon of Post-War reloading. The first ones came out in 1947 and are still produced today. There have been some minor changes over the years, but they are essentially the same measure. I have at least one of each generation.

They never seem to wear out. They are easy to dissemble and clean. If there is any rust or bad brass tarnish, some 000 steel wool will take it off. Lubricate these from time to time with a little fine graphite and never oil of any type.

I don't use them for long stick rifle powders. I have an old Hollywood I use for that.

Well . . . the 55 arrived in the mail yesterday. It's in the original box - my guess is probably made in the 50s? I couldn't be happier . . . orange paint looks like new, both powder drops, powder cylinder 7 dip - it doesn't look like it was ever used. I can easily see why these are so popular.

Char Gar - You're a bad influence! LOL I like this measure so much that I can easily see ending up with three or four side by side and each one set up for various powders/loads.

Thanks for the information - greatly appreciated!

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast