WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Cannelure on cases

Boolit Master

Cannelure on cases

At the range yesterday my buddy found many 30-06 cases with a knurled ring 1/2" above the base. It looked to be plated steel. I told him that was done to prevent reloading the "brass". I did see several Golden Bear boxes it the trash. Did I tell my buddy a lie , is their another reason for the canelure? Ive seen it on 7.62 x54 in the past.

Boolit Master
    I don't think it has anything to do with making the cases non-reloadable. I've reloaded a bunch of 7.62X51 that had an identical knurling ring.

But what it's for, I don't know.

Cheers,
    Richard

Boolit Master

Hmm, on some auto pistol cases the cannelure was to keep the bullet from getting pushed in further, maybe it's the same for these?
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Hmm, on some auto pistol cases the cannelure was to keep the bullet from getting pushed in further, maybe it's the same for these?
    not on a 30-06.

Boolit Buddy

May be to ID the load?
    L.E.C.

Boolit Buddy
    I have seen that on lake city 30/06 match BRASS think it was late 60s early 70s

Boolit Master

Lake city match or LR brass is knurled around the base.

Boolit Buddy

Does it not indicate a non NATO accepted round ?? .
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't seen any brass with the cannalure in that position. I would guess it's either an identification mark or chamber marks (similar to a fluted cylinder?) depending on what they look like (got a pic?), Early revolver rounds had a "set back" knurl/cannalure on the case and some manufactured today have carried that over. Most on the cases I have that are cannalured are 38 Special and 357 Magnum...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Here's a 45colt and a 9mm I just found to post up on this thread. Fairly sure I've seen it on 45acp also. Maybe others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3664.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Here's a 45colt and a 9mm I just found to post up on this thread. Fairly sure I've seen it on 45acp also. Maybe others.
    357 & 38 have them also. Would like to see a pic of the 30/06.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I've found the same ring as pictured on a lot of range pick up 9 mm. Various brand head stamps. I get a lot of 9 mm brass, but only keep the federal head stamp (F.C.) stuff. Occasionally I find F.C. with same ring, I assumed it is caused by firing the ammo in a pistol with a fluted chamber.
    I have in the past reloaded some with no ill effects but now scrap the fluted F. C. brass too. My theory, right or wrong, is that sooner or later the ring will become a weak area and possibly cause case separation, leaving the end portion of brass stuck in the chamber. I could be wrong but why take the chance.
    My reasons for only reloading F.C. Brass are that it seems the most consistent for case length, rim size, volume & case weight. With several thousand pieces cleaned, sized & flared and more coming every trip to the range, no good reason not to.

Moderator Emeritus
    You can see it in this image: http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/gu...0dlgo.jpg.html

Copied from here: http://gunhub.com/ammunition/46733-l...cannelure.html

The 1985 dated LC match brass is known as M852 and was originally loaded with a 168gr Sierra MatchKing bullet. Since this bullet has a hollowpoint, the gov't put the cannelure on the case to indicate that this ammo was not to be used in combat. The LC match brass without the cannelure is M118, and was originally loaded with a 173gr FMJBT bullet. Both are OK to reload, although is some controversy regarding the cannelure and case head separations.
    Last edited by garandsrus; 03-03-2017 at 01:42 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded several hundred of them (7.62x51) four times through an M1A with no issues. I retired all my M1A brass after 4x anyway. I don't recall any different issues or problems from standard LC brass.