Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My daughter cried when she got home from class tonight.

Boolit Master

My daughter cried when she got home from class tonight.

Our middle daughter is double enrolled in some college classes to go along with her home school curriculum. She just turned 16 this week. One of her classes is a psycology 101 level class and she is enjoying the class and doing well. She has been kind of sheltered from the things that go on in public school and that was on purpose. She has little patience for foolishness and stupid remarks that come from other kids. Tonight there was a student who is in some branch of the service and was attending class by some arrangement but is apparently being deployed and was asking how to complete his assignments in the time he has left. The three students behind my daughter began to make fun of the man being deployed, they apparently have no respect for someone trying to do good for his country and it upset her to hear the disrespectful remarks. I teared up a little listening to her tell about it.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Sounds like you're raising a good one. It is nice to hear there is another generation that will show some respect for our veterans.
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Good on you, frkelly....you've obviously raised her right. Sounds like she will be a leader in her generation.

My eldest boy just enlisted with the Navy. My 10yo daughter is crushed at the thought of her brother going away, but she is also fiercely patriotic and LOVES what her brother is doing. I fear for the kid that pokes fun at her brother.....she has a mean streak, just like her mother!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe the professor should make those kids take a civic duty assignment.or bring a couple other students who are in the service and then see what they say.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Thank you for raising a compassionate and patriotic daughter.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Perm-Banned
    if i was the teacher, they would have seen hell coming on a white horse.

Boolit Master
    Punishment for such lapses in courtesy and respect is no longer politically correct.

Although your daughter may have to learn to deal with idiots. At the same time, she has been in an environment that has nurtured the above mentioned qualities, sorely absent in many of today's indoctrination centers.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    A common trait amongst some youngsters is to try to impress their fellows.I suppose it is a part of growing up.If this means taking the mickey out of someone going on active service then so be it, in their childlike minds they think it is trendy.In later years they may reflect on the cruelty of their youth and go on to make good citizens.There are some great Kids out there and it is important to harness their abilities and to try to lead others on a more caring path.

Banned

Good case for reinstating the draft

Boolit Master
    It might be on much the same level as they could have done for having hair in pigtails (in a female, even) or having a phone that does nothing but phone. It sounds like it would be covered by freedom of speech, and if it wasn't, others might use the same powers about other things another time.

It was on nothing like the same level as the shameful harassment of soldiers returning from Vietnam, who had been drafted and weren't enjoying a war that wasn't their idea. Most probably they detested the small percentage of abusive psychos who got into the papers. There is a trace of similarity, though. When military action is always clearly linked with defence of the country, and military malefactors are dependably and willingly dropped on from a great height, individuals find greater appreciation.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    if i was the teacher, they would have seen hell coming on a white horse.
    Yep. Best lesson they could get (and need) is that there are consequences for our actions.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bandsmoyer View Post
    Good case for reinstating the draft
    These were words, not actions.

About thirty years ago some British government ministers suggested that a restoration of conscription, and rigorous military training, would sort out many of the problems of troublesome youth. Legend says the service chiefs agreed that it surely would, but would they please create another military force for the purpose, and not do that kind of harm to theirs.

The quality of armed forces isn't measurable so much in how good the best are, but how closely the run-of-the-mill elements compare. There are huge dangers in having a real military and a chaingang military at opposite ends of the messhall, glaring at one another. Besides, you can't build a good modern army without rigorous selection and paying people extremely well. It takes longer than voters can be held for, too. Conscription without war or an extremely clear danger to the nation is more trouble than it is worth.

Chances are that she will replay the scenario in her head and do something different in the next similar situation. I would give it a couple of days then ask her what a bystander should do in that situation. Then you will be able to help by sharing your input.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear she got upset. But there are allot of people that have never given to anything let alone have severed or stood for anything. In todays schools not too much you can do.

Moderator Emeritus

Your daughter is a gem and she just learned that you cant cure stupid and selfishness! I am so proud of our children that are still willing to put their country first.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Perhaps it will put it in perspective when she hears kids sneering at others with last year's trainers, or refusing to smoke or drink, or staying home to do homework.

In the 1970s I heard a group of schoolkids watching an old man I knew walking past in the street, and saying everybody knew kids mature younger nowadays, for that old man would just have been a child at their age. I knew him, and he was commissioned and in command of a depleted company on the first day of the battle of the Somme, and suffered a broken leg from a shell a week later Soon afterwards he regularised his position by reaching legal enlistment age. His injury troubled him very little until about ten years after those remarks, when he suffered blindness and died of blood clots brought on by bony growths at the seat of the fracture.

Boolit Master

Your daughter is right to feel upset at such disrespect for our military personnel. It is also good she did nothing as in today's messed up world who knows what might have happened. You need to explain to her that this is how bad things have gotten here in America.

As to re-instating the draft I wonder just how many would take the Bill Clinton path and how many would grow up and accept that it is now their turn to defend America.

If I were the instructor I might ask if some veterans could come and speak, maybe even a few who have just returned from being deployed, nothing brings a reality check like seeing some of your own age group and what it looks like to defend America.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    I believe many are confusing the draft with conscription.

To the OP: Your daughter just learned an important life lesson about people.

When you wear your military service on your sleeve, you gotta accept the bad along with all the attaboys and 10% Home Depot discounts, lol.

Boolit Master

Love Life I know what the draft was and I side stepped it and enlisted when we had this little issue called Vietnam going on.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    Love Life I know what the draft was and I side stepped it and enlisted when we had this little issue called Vietnam going on.
    Thank you for your service.

What I was pointing out is that there is a difference between a draft and conscription. People use them interchangeably, but shouldn't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast