MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joy in an . . . 'Upside-down Sizing Press'

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by winchester 71 View Post
    Look on the bench in the first photo!!!!!!!!!! see the red Lee die container??????? it is for catching bullets being pushed through the sizer die............it works without this upside down contortionist **** of a upside down press and a bullet catcher on a chair.........Re-inventing the wheel can make people fools.............
    Yes, and everybody loves it when that last bullet pushes it up off the sizing die and dumps bullets everywhere. Just because YOU see no need to improve the process doesn't mean the process doesn't have elements that need improvement.
    With this other arrangement you can size a lot more bullets without having to empty the bullet cup.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

What you said is true winchester, but it is not the whole truth.

The real difference is simple. If the press is right side up, you have to balance the boolit with gas check in place on the shaft that slips into the shell holder. If you are doing many of these you will discover that a percentage of the gas checks will fall off, become cocked, or otherwise screw up in the process. Taller bullets are worse than short and chunky.

With an upside down press "Gravity" holds the gas check in place throughout. No falling off, no sliding cockied, no issues, no problems.

You are not seeing the bigger picture. Probably because you never tried it.
    I tried it, I have 3 presses, and from the day I tried it, one has always been mounted upside down. ALL my sizing happens on that press. It is not about juggling bullet catchers, it is all about the gas checks. And once you have tried a system that works better, you'll never go back to the old way.

Inverted press = gas checks faster, smoother, fewer hiccups, fewer problems, less frustration.

Dead simple really. But until you try it for yourself, most people won't understand.

Boolit Master
    What about bolting an old Lyman acculine upside down?

Boolit Buddy

Horse and buggies are adequate! They will NEVER be replaced by these new fangled automobiles.

This thread is the reason I tried the upside down method. Glad I did.
    I had no problem doing things the "normal" way. No problem balancing boolits on the post. I don't do enough gas checked boolits for this to be necessary.
    I did have the problem of the red cup popping open mid batch. Small problem to me, just keep emptying the catch before it gets halfway full. But this takes time.

That being said, upside down makes everything easier and faster. It just is, plain and simple. For me it comes to sitting the boolit base down on a post if exact same diameter vs sitting the boolit in the groove nose down. The latter is just a superior method.

Recommend this be a sticky. Because before I do something crazy like mounting a press upside down I like to read what many others have experienced and this thread has it.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

If you go to Autozone get you some 3/4" ID heater hose, it slips over Lee sizing dies real nice. Tight enough to stay put but no clamp needed. Run it into a catch pan and you're good to go!

Some of ya'll already knew that. Some might not. Just thought I'd toss that out there.

When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyOnThePaper View Post
    Yes, and everybody loves it when that last bullet pushes it up off the sizing die and dumps bullets everywhere.
    I got this idea from someone here on this form: just put a rubber band from top to bottom on the red plastic cylinder. It will move up a bit when your bullets start to push the top up but will keep the top on.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Yes, and everybody loves it when that last bullet pushes it up off the sizing die and dumps bullets everywhere. Just because YOU see no need to improve the process doesn't mean the process doesn't have elements that need improvement.
    With this other arrangement you can size a lot more bullets without having to empty the bullet cup.

I've done that a few times...until I put a large rubber band around the red container...top to bottom.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy

I like NoAngel's approach.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I like NoAngel's approach.

It is kind nice isn't it ?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    It is kind nice isn't it ?

Jack
    i thought so too. So when the guy priced it I didn't even flinch, I just paid the man.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

The more I think about this, the more I like it.

This weekend, I'm going to remount all of my presses upside down.

Except the one for bullet sizing, that one's going sideways, as previously discussed.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    The more I think about this, the more I like it.

This weekend, I'm going to remount all of my presses upside down.

Except the one for bullet sizing, that one's going sideways, as previously discussed.
    Replies like this ^^^ that add NOTHING to the conversation except to heap derision on those trying to break new ground/find more efficient ways to do things while basking in smug superiority are the main reason I don't generally post over here anymore. I'm no great loss but it's also chased off/annoyed away MANY who are absolute fountains of knowledge.

Thanks for reminding me.

Boolit Buddy

Well after reading this thread I decided to try it with a Redding Boss press that I have been sizing on. I took a picture but for some reason I can not upload pics today from my computer or phone.

But I digress, I mounted the press using one of the holes I already had drilled in my bench for something else so it was kind of kitty whompass but I will drill some new holes now that I have tried it. After dropping about 10 rounds into a hole instead of holding each round I was sold. The inverted press is the way to go with sizing!!

Thank again to the people that bring their ideas to these forums, I will try later to post some pics.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Banned

Replies like this ^^^ that add NOTHING to the conversation except to heap derision on those trying to break new ground/find more efficient ways to do things while basking in smug superiority are the main reason I don't generally post over here anymore. I'm no great loss but it's also chased off/annoyed away MANY who are absolute fountains of knowledge.

Thanks for reminding me.

Completely agree
    The sizer No Angel is using is the future I want

Thanks for reminding me.

Sorry, sir. I should have realized that not everyone knows my sense of humor, and that the post was meant as nothing more. I apologize that it wasn't recognized for what it was.

Thank you in turn for reminding me that it's best to be serious 100% of the time, unless you're among those who know you better.

I think some folks use colored font for sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    I think some folks use colored font for sarcasm.
    Appreciated, and noted.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    That IS a clever idea. I still like being only limited by the size container you choose to put under it with the upside with the hose though.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast