MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joy in an . . . 'Upside-down Sizing Press'

Joy in an . . . 'Upside-down Sizing Press'

This is no new subject of sizing on an upside-down press but it's new to me. A friend gave me this RCBS Junior 2 press last week and I started thinking how I could mount it on this side of the loading table...here's where I clamp temporary things like the primer press or the brass trim setup.
    So...I've got it clamped the only way I could to try it out, actually it's a bit too low so I want to figure a clean clamp on mount to fix that problem...but back to trying it...it is a joy to sit there with my left hand full of casts and rolling them around in my fingers and dropping them into the size die hole, it's just too quick and easy. Before I would grab them one at a time off the table and balance them on the little push spud up into the die...that does a number on my shoulder joint, actually gets really painful after a couple hundred, so doing 500 at a sit is a job of painful work!
    Kerplunk-kerplunk-kerplunk...it's a joy to hear!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2689.jpg 
Views:	1950 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	189211

This part is the best yet...you see the hole that the lever is threaded into? It's already there on this press, you don't have to take it apart and switch anything around...whooada thunk?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2696.jpg 
Views:	2000 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	189212

Well, this gives me something to 'mull on' for a while...designing a nice steel mount...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I really need to try this with my sizing press...the Lee C press...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    An RCBS JR was my first press (bought used in a pawn shop). Still have it, but quit using it because I wore the ram to the point that it would the handle would always fall down. This give me an idea to use a press again that has great value to me.
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

It was at least 3 years ago, maybe a bit more. I was down in my reloading room. I had just bought a couple of used lee presses very reasonably. I was sizing and crimping gas checks and at least one out of 3 was falling off between my finger and the lee sizing die pusher.

Finally I flung the whole mess on the floor and came here to cast boolits to cool off.
    Half an hour later I stumbled into a thread about someone who had turned his press upside down for sizing/gas checks.

The thought was the deed. Large screws found, space cleared, press mounted, screws torqured down, picked up my mess, reseated some gas checks with a flat surface and a rubber mallet. And proceeded to love my new upside down Lee classic C cast.

That press is still there. Since that day I do not mind sizing, in fact I enjoy it. I left my linkage upside down, muscle memory is great. You train your body with the first 10 and it remembers.

And gas checks, drop upside down into the hole, gravity holds it in place until the pusher gets there and shoves and crimps.

Painless.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

Banned
    Now to run the thing standing on your head

whooada thunk?
    Seems like the guy that designed it did.

jmorris...I looked up the manual on this press and they didn't mention why this second threaded hole is in the cam block.
    Do you know why?
    Possibly rearrange the block and then the lever pushes up with the ram?
    It seems like there would be a purpose for it...threaded holes cost money.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the idea! I think I will give it a try myself with my old SP3. I have about 4-500 rounds to size myself & this definitely seems like it would
    be faster & easier than the "balance & center on the post" method.

Boolit Bub
    I use the Lee "C" press mounted upside down to size and it works GREAT. I mount it to a short piece of 1x4 and clamp it to my coffee table. I can size 45 pounds of 45 caliber boolits while watching a college basketball game.

AR15-SBR

Banned
    Pardon me but I cannot see what your sizing with the pictures posted. I can only guess what 9mm?

Is this so you can get rid of the so called Glock bulge? Is there a rod that goes inside the 9mm case to push the case thru the sizer? So, the case sits on the rod rim toward the die?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    jmorris...I looked up the manual on this press and they didn't mention why this second threaded hole is in the cam block.
    Do you know why?
    Possibly rearrange the block and then the lever pushes up with the ram?
    It seems like there would be a purpose for it...threaded holes cost money.
    Been a while since I owned an RCBS press like that little guy. If memory is correct one position is for longer rifle brass and the other for short pistol brass?

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Pardon me but I cannot see what your sizing with the pictures posted. I can only guess what 9mm? <(.452")

Is this so you can get rid of the so called Glock bulge? Is there a rod that goes inside the 9mm case to push the case thru the sizer? So, the case sits on the rod rim toward the die?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/882...s-and-w-45-acp

This is the only answer I'm aware of regarding cases and fixing the ones that have been 'Glucked-up' . . . Maybe another mfgr. like NOE has what you need.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Pardon me but I cannot see what your sizing with the pictures posted. I can only guess what 9mm?

Sizing boolits with a push through sizing die.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

The Lyman Spar-T presses have an extra threaded hole so the ram can operate on the upstroke. I have two of them set up that way for seating bullets. I also shortened and rethreaded the handles. They are very fast and convenient that way.

Found this in YouTube, this may be the simplest solution for crunched fingers yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iHUDbC9hQk

Cut and paste in a new tab if clicking on it won't play it.
    50 cent spring from the hardware store.
    Simple, and if you don't have a press to turn upside down this does it. I have not tried it yet. I suspect different diameter springs based on what dia. bullet you are sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Found this in YouTube, this may be the simplest solution for crunched fingers yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iHUDbC9hQk

Cut and paste in a new tab if clicking on it won't play it.
    50 cent spring from the hardware store.
    Simple, and if you don't have a press to turn upside down this does it. I have not tried it yet. I suspect different diameter springs based on what dia. bullet you are sizing.
    "OMG! How embarrassing!"

Be careful what you put on video...it'll always come back to bite your butt!
    Thom Finks (old fart friend and brass-stuffer) and I were trying to make Lee aware of this little 'brain fart' but Lee is not the easiest people to work with about things of this nature.
    They had some incoming size restriction on video attached to E-Mail so we had to fit all that into a very short clip...and, after all the effort? Lee never said thanks, kiss our butt or anything else. It sorta left me with a sour taste in my mouth for the idgits I had to deal with.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I've done the spring thing, it definitely works, and is fast! But, I like the upside down press also. Somewhere in the YouTube land is a video of a reloader using an upside down press with a homemade bullet feeder type of arrangements. Looked like a piece of pvc pipe lined up at the entrance to the sizing die. Cycle the handle, while cycling handle, drop next boolit in the pipe, and when the ram clears it, it drops in place! Repeat. Pretty cool idea!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

I think it's the Australian fella (member here) who does the coatings on Pb boolits...he developed the first automated 'upside down' sizer that I can remember...

Aaaah, found one of his videos...

Bullet Sizer: Grem460 AS/2 HOG machine - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zbImsdkbg
    JMorris also did one a couple of years ago.

Is there anything under the sun that JMorris hasn't invented or done better?

I think he could re-invent brain surgery!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast