RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Buffalo Classic Successful range trip

Boolit Master

Buffalo Classic Successful range trip

Picked up a 45-70 BC a couple of years back. Managed to find a deal on the Wesson and Harrington Peep sight that mounts on the rear scope mount on the barrel. I had tried a few times to hit the 500 yard 30" steel, but only randomly hit it because I couldn't see where I was hitting. Finally got my brother to spot for me. After about 3 shots and adjusting the sights, I finally got on steel and hit it all 3 times I fired. Even had another shooter at the range to try it and he hit it on the second shot. This is with a Lee 405 grain mold that drops at 419 grains with blue powder coat on it. I am psyched. It is such a thrill to hit it at 500 yards with irons and a 20' drop. That made my week for sure. Gotta hit the melting pot and make up some more boolits so I can shoot again soon. Blue PC is what I had at the time, I plan on using Smoke's clear from now on. The cowboy shooters would probably frown on the blue boolits.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master
    Way to go, sounds like two much fun!
    What powder were you using and what size did you size your bullet?

Boolit Master
    After powder coating, I ran it through a .460 sizer. Used 34.0 grains of RL7. Seems like it may be 1400 fps out of the 32" barrel.

Rosewood

Banned

do yerself and yer bc a favor - try real black powder.

I had one but traded it off to get a Pedersoli Remington Rolling block. Used it to take a BP deer. If I knew then what I know now about BP loading life would have been simpler. I was not using the correct lubes and it would scatter over the paper, but would always hit in the same place for the first shot. I took it out to a stand with a cleaning rod and wet patches (the second shot was usually relatively close but after that it went south) One shot one deer with a 320 grain Gould HP and 70 grains of BP. Deer was hit a bit far back, which was probably me, but it only went a little ways and lay stretched out when I found it. Using lube like SPG and a couple of other little tricks and the BP loads shoot very well.

DEP

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    do yerself and yer bc a favor - try real black powder.
    I thought about trying BP just for kicks. Not sure I have seen any around here. I have some of the knockoffs, but you would probably talk about me for using T7 or BH209, even worse if I used pellets. I really don't like having to clean up the gun or cleaning the brass from using anything corrosive. That doesn't mean I won't try it one day.

Rosewood

How was the recoil with your load Rosewood? I got Lucky today and won a NIB Buffalo Classic on GB. Where you able to hit the 500 yard mark with the Williams sights that came with the BC Rifle?
    I was glad I found this thread, There where several in the Cast Boolit Archives but I didn't want to pull them back. They had plenty of info. I'm still reading them...lol...
    ............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

One thing I haven't found yet, Or I missed it. Anyone know the Rate of Twist in the Buffalo Classic? If not I'll find out once it gets here and I'll post it...

Boolit Buddy
    1 in 20 ''

Thanks Rwadley, I did catch that in another read but thank you,... I am curious about something else. I've read the Recoil is a beast on the BC and I've read about these Mercury filled tubes that you install in your butt stock. Has anyone tried that? and if so, There are several sizes so would the biggest size reduce the best?

Boolit Buddy
    I have mercury recoil reducers in both my 45/70 handi's. They work.

Boolit Buddy
    The ones I have fit really well in the Handi's stock. C&H Research '' Old Standby'' Recoil Reducer Stock Model 100785 7/8''x5'' 16 oz. http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/suppres...ex.htm#top#top I think I used a little electrical tape and a small piece of pvc pipe as a spacer. Right now MPC Sports has them for about $43 with free shipping.

Thanks rwadley, I placed my order.. I pick up my BC Wednesday.

Can't wait to try the Mercury Tube, From what I can remember in School. Mercury in a Liquid until it meets Force then it reacts to that force.
    As I remember, If you could hit Mercury with a Hammer the Mercury absorbs the force making the liquid like a solid..? something like that, been a long time...lol...
    Last edited by Weaponologist; 02-20-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Well, I've fallen in love with the look a Handi Rifle has with a set of Buffalo Classic Stocks on it. I managed to get a set of BC stocks but it's missing the Metal Butt Plate. Is there anyone here who can or does make Butt Plates for this Stock? I'm not picky so it can be Brass or just Plastic if one of the guys that have those machines that copy parts off... Anything anyone can think of? I just don't want to take the stock width down. I'd rather have even an over sized Plate and just work the file for awhile to get a good fit...Thanks in advance...Bill