WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder coated alloy for 9mm?

Boolit Master
    Guess I've just been lucky.
    I don't have the problems others seem to have with 9mm
    Luck's got nothing to do with it

Seriously, you've got all the right boolits there. I like the colors.

Banned

it'd take me forever to sort all of those colors out.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    yondering I know we have gone over this...
    I thought initially it would be affecting the alloy also.
    after going over this with Glen Fryxell more than once. he has convinced me to come around to his point of view on the matter.
    he has the metallurgist degree, I got nuthin, so I defer to what he is telling me.
    It's not a matter of thinking, or having a degree, although my degree included metallurgy too. Actual hardness tests tell the truth. I've tested mine; powder coating after water dropping negated the effects of water dropping, other people's tests show the same. Have you hardness tested your method?

Quote Originally Posted by yondering View Post
    It's not a matter of thinking, or having a degree, although my degree included metallurgy too. Actual hardness tests tell the truth. I've tested mine; powder coating after water dropping negated the effects of water dropping, other people's tests show the same. Have you hardness tested your method?
    I'm sure you two know oodles more about this than I but I'm also thinking if the surface temp gets to 400° that the centers would also achieve this temp simultaneously. Now, if that's enough to anneal them, then that's the question.
    One problem I have powder coating is that the center of the platter takes longer to get to temp so I sometimes need to leave the thing in the over for longer so I feel like the center bullets are getting cooked properly. Not sure if this could be over-cooking the outer bullets. I need to refine my process.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    it'd take me forever to sort all of those colors out.

Embrace the chaos of random colors.

Being red/green color blind kinda helps me in that aspect.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I'm sure you two know oodles more about this than I but I'm also thinking if the surface temp gets to 400° that the centers would also achieve this temp simultaneously. Now, if that's enough to anneal them, then that's the question.
    One problem I have powder coating is that the center of the platter takes longer to get to temp so I sometimes need to leave the thing in the over for longer so I feel like the center bullets are getting cooked properly. Not sure if this could be over-cooking the outer bullets. I need to refine my process.
    Yes, correct, once the outside of the bullet reaches temp, the inside is right there too or not far behind. Same thing happens when quenched; lead conducts heat fairly well like most metals, it's not like a ceramic insulator or something that can have widely different temps between surface and core. In my experience, 400* is enough to negate the effects of water dropping, so I don't water drop any more. It saves a step of drying bullets before coating.

You can't really "over cook" the powder coat if temp is correct, other than maybe real extreme time in the oven, so feel free to just cook them longer. You can leave them in for at least an hour or so without hurting the coating. I figure when the directions say 10 min at 400*, that means 10 minutes after it reaches 400*, so I add extra time for warm up. I use 20 minutes per batch, unless I forget and let them go longer.

Do make sure you're verifying temperature with a thermometer though; oven thermometers are only a couple bucks. I don't use it every time, but will occasionally put the thermometer in with the bullets to verify the temp is still stable at 400* at the designated setting. When guys show melted powder coated bullets, it's not from baking too long, it's from the oven temperature being too high; you can't just go by the dials on these little toaster ovens.

Quote Originally Posted by yondering View Post
    Yes, correct, once the outside of the bullet reaches temp, the inside is right there too or not far behind. Same thing happens when quenched; lead conducts heat fairly well like most metals, it's not like a ceramic insulator or something that can have widely different temps between surface and core. In my experience, 400* is enough to negate the effects of water dropping, so I don't water drop any more. It saves a step of drying bullets before coating.

You can't really "over cook" the powder coat if temp is correct, other than maybe real extreme time in the oven, so feel free to just cook them longer. You can leave them in for at least an hour or so without hurting the coating. I figure when the directions say 10 min at 400*, that means 10 minutes after it reaches 400*, so I add extra time for warm up. I use 20 minutes per batch, unless I forget and let them go longer.

Do make sure you're verifying temperature with a thermometer though; oven thermometers are only a couple bucks. I don't use it every time, but will occasionally put the thermometer in with the bullets to verify the temp is still stable at 400* at the designated setting. When guys show melted powder coated bullets, it's not from baking too long, it's from the oven temperature being too high; you can't just go by the dials on these little toaster ovens.
    yeah that's my observations too. I need to PID my broaster!