Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: pully size for slower speed

Boolit Master

pully size for slower speed

I took the motor out of wash machine and it says its a 17,500 rpm unit. The circumference on pulley is 3 inches. So i double that size in the other pulley the rpm of other pully should be half of electric motor, correct? I want to get down to 2ooo rpms. I sure could use my dad on this one!! He was a inventer and all most a genius in making electric tools he wanted in his wood shop. He had some tools that he would make for a big job and never use them again unless the need arose.
    Look twice, shoot once.

In Remembrance
    I think you misread the motor speed. It should be 1750 rpm.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    I can't recall squat. Just for my curiosity I'm gonna say you need a reduction of at least 8.75 (17500/8.75=2000). Do we multiply the 3" pulley by 8.75? I'm holdin on a 26.25" pulley.

Mind ya I've not worked at a Holiday Inn and my old brain is wacked!
    Jim

And I too think that is one heck of a motor for a washing machine.....
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    It just might be true!
    Look at the pully on the drum and it needs to spin at 1400rpm at the most.
    No way a washing machine is geared almost 1:1

Boolit Master
    I wish it said 1750 but it says 17,500 RPM. Very quiet and it makes a hi whine that makes you believe the label.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

I have never seen a motor that fast on a household appliance. Usually a motor in that size would be 1750 or 3500 RPMs. Motors of that persuasion aren't that expensive.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    If you increase the size of the driven pulley your speed will decrease. If you increase the size of your drive pulley you will increase speed.
    If all of the above discussion about 17,500rpm motor is true, you need geared reduction not pulleys. A 8:1 to 10:1 gearbox will get you down where you want to be. But my recommendation is to get a proper motor, and since you don't say what you are using it for this may be a proper motor.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    I wish it said 1750 but it says 17,500 RPM. Very quiet and it makes a hi whine that makes you believe the label.
    High whine? It might be brushless motor.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    Get the model number off the appliance ID plate and look it up.
    It is nearly impossible that you have an electric motor with that high RPM is a house hold appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    EDG

Boolit Master

Many newer washing machines use a high speed 3 phase motor. The high speed is used to spin dry the clothes so they do not have to spend as much time in the dryer. The three phase is so the speed can be varied electronically.

Boolit Master
    I am tempted to put it in the bin with the rest of the washer. If I had a long enough cord maybe it would be ideal for a model air plane(whoops its to heavy).
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

That motor speed sounds like a vacuum cleaner. To get it down to 2,000 you would need a pulley that has a circumference of 26.25" or about 8.5" diameter.

Boolit Buddy
    Someone else had recently posted of their 17500 rpm washing machine motor I was sure they mistyped till looking at the pics of the nameplate thats ridiculous fast for a motor that size unfortunately not much good for projects

You would need a pulley 23.25 diameter to get to 2000 rpm I always think of a 10 speed bike little to big is slower
    http://www.surpluscenter.com/Tech-He...t-Calculators/

Boolit Master

Was thinking of a motor I took off a machine made in China. The the language on the motor had been translated to English as " The great big electric motor company".
    Using the calculator that jonas302 came up with I got 8.36" diameter. That's taking the circumference of 3" and dividing by 3.14 which gives a pulley diameter of .955" ( seems really small ).

Boolit Buddy

OOH Boy I'm gonna be watching his thread, I doubt the 17.5K rpm figure and would be loathe to stand anywhere near the belt on that set up. I dont think my router spins that fast.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Many newer washing machines use a high speed 3 phase motor. The high speed is used to spin dry the clothes so they do not have to spend as much time in the dryer. The three phase is so the speed can be varied electronically.
    Maytag Neptune was one of the first in the US.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Looks like those new high speed motors can be rewired anywhere between 0-20,000 RPM http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/...tes/AN3234.pdf

Boolit Master
    It is off one of those new fangled side loaders that was a bad design. Factory replaced the first one but said second one had a short warrenty and of course the replacement went bad also so we thru it out and got a top loader. The whine sounds kinda neat like my old turbo when throttling down to prepare to shut off.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Holy cow that thing spins fast!

Anybody wanna build a man-sized dremel?