WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: USH woes

Boolit Master

USH woes

Went to test some more loads yesterday and "click". Seems the release lever is sorta loose creating friction on the hammer but could be something else. Looked at schematic and this thing seems a bugger to disassemble and reassemble. Any ideas other than finding a smith?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned

Transfer Bar???

Banned

Boolit Master

Hal-

I would send it back to the manufacturer for a complete going through; that way its fixed right. Just my thoughts.

HV in SC
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Hal,

H&R is defunct, don't think a manufacturer repair is an option.
    Google "perklo handi trigger job". Perklo has two very good illustrated downloads on how to disassemble and reassemble the H&R receiver. NOTE, the slave pin is a must! Hal, if you were closer I would do it for you. The transfer bar is a prime culprit and a broken firing or weak hammer spring are possibilities. Also make sure the trigger and or hammer extension is not interfering with the scope.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    I had the same thing happen a while back. Had the springs replaced and "shaved" the hammer stop slightly. All is well now.

You can do it hogtamer, the boys over at GraybeardsOutdoors can help with the info.

The rest is just setting about it with a solid head on your shoulders, some parts and some patience.

Lever used to open the gun if loose is not a problem. Barrel snapped shut it should "rattle" lightly. Problems all are when it is tight, not loose.

Transfer bar would be my guess.

Best of luck to you.

And you will likely need 3 hands at some point in that install, so have help around.

Take the time to make the slave pin and make it right.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll give it a whirl but not at the top of my list. Crappie are starting to warm up and I'm building a couple of ground blinds for next season. And just so you know, my first instinct for a slave pin would be a 20 penny nail and a little neurapathy and arthritis in hands doesn't lend itself to the old 3 hands needed scenario. No problem working on an 870 and a few others, just never tackled one of these. Sounds like a good summertime project.
    Leonard Ravenhill

In Remembrance

i was thinking abt you, and if I couldn't get it fixed; i'd finally have a reason to get a Savage 210 9or 212 if I couldn't find a 210); and maybe a 220 to pair it up with.
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Whats USH?
    My firearms project blog

H and R ultra slug hunter ..single shot rifled 12 ga..d

Boolit Master

Liking the way you think C!
    Leonard Ravenhill

C..why a 210 over a 212..just wondering..d

Quote Originally Posted by uncle dino View Post
    H and R ultra slug hunter ..single shot rifled 12 ga..d
    Oh right, I had one of those a while back just never seen it abbreviated as above. If one is going to get into the frame you will for sure want slave pins and stub slave pins to have the sub assemblies mocked up before you drop them back in. (trigger and hammer assemblies I believe need stubs iirc).

Broken transfer bar is #1 cause of FTF
    #2 is broken firing pin
    #3 is dirt around the firing pin seat/broken spring or other such obstruction of a otherwise working firing pin
    the above is of course if you are firing known ammunition that is already proven, check for dirt around the barrel latch area as that can cause the gun not to lock up correctly and cause a misfire.

If you think the release lever is rubbing excessively on something you may have some debris in the frame since it is a bit of a open design where the hammer is located. Air compressor works well to dislodge anything that may have accumulated over time. but it will blow it down further into the frame so a full pull down isn't a bad idea. If you need help with slave pin info just let me know I can get you dimensions. Also be aware that the pins are one way. they need to be drifted out the side that the "star crimping" is on as that helps keep the pins in place. Its a simple friction fit, just like pulling a nail they go out the way they came in and go back the same direction.
    My firearms project blog

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by uncle dino View Post
    C..why a 210 over a 212..just wondering..d
    Something AJ said way back; abt the bolt lugs being stronger or whatever, making the 210 more suitable for doing what we are doing which is making a large caliber rifle out of a slug gun.

So I decided on a 210 if I could ever find one.
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    Something AJ said way back; abt the bolt lugs being stronger or whatever, making the 210 more suitable for doing what we are doing which is making a large caliber rifle out of a slug gun.

So I decided on a 210 if I could ever find one.
    C,

Find a marlin 512 and use the money you save to buy conponents. The 512 is a tank.

BB

In Remembrance

Never considered the 512. ill check them out.
    Thx!