Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subsonic 7.62x54R!

Boolit Buddy

Subsonic 7.62x54R!

Not a cast boolit load but I thought this might be of interest to someone here. I've got a Mosin 91/30 that I threaded for my suppressor. I found a few boxes of old virgin Norma brass at a local place & figured I'd try to load a few subs for fun. After a few tries this is what I got:

Norma cases
    CCI #200
    Hornady 150gr .312" softpoint (#3120)
    7.8gr bullseye

Crimped in the cannelure, velocity is just over 1,000fps

The rifle is sighted in to Yugo M30 heavy ball. These shoot decent groups 2" high at 100m. With the suppressor & subsonics I put the sight on 3 for a 50m zero, 5 for 120m, I haven't tried farther but I will later since that ladder has a lot more elevation to it! The windage stayed right inline with my adjustment for heavy ball unsuppressed!

These are giggle worthy! That long barrel & suppressor makes these quiet as a bb gun & then "SMACK" when the bullet finally arrives.

Ya'll have a good one.
    I collect exotic ammo, if you have something interesting let me know.

Boolit Master

See, now that just sounds like good clean fun!
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

Very similar to the old "Guard" load for the 30-06. A very useful subsonic load.

Larry Gibson

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Thanks for posting. That is GOOD info and nice to have some independent validation of my own tinkering in the Finnish M39, in which I ended up using 7.2 grains of Bullseye with the same bullet, about 900 fps. Very quiet even without the can, but I would caution everyone NOT to reduce further as you WILL stick a bullet in the barrel! If you do so, the safe way to remove it is with the Brownell's Squibb Rod threaded onto a Dewey cleaning rod, after having flooded the bore with Kroil and letting soak for 15 minutes. Then you can easily tap the bullet out WITHOUT using a hammer, but simply by many light taps, using no more than the weight of the rod itself, coaxing the lodged bullet along and out.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the advice. The thought of sticking a bullet was in the back of my mind the whole time so I made sure I saw the bullet kick up dirt down range or checked the bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Very similar to the old "Guard" load for the 30-06. A very useful subsonic load.

Larry Gibson
    I guess I never thought of that! I was told the guard load was tge regular cupro nickle ball bullet over 9gr of bullseye. I have a guard load in my 30-06 collection & when you shake it there sure ain't much in there!

I figure these would be great for small game. Too bad I didn't thread a carbine because this rifle stands shoulder high!
    I collect exotic ammo, if you have something interesting let me know.

Is the bullet tapped out forward or backward?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Which ever way is shorter.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    Could one substitute Red-Dot for Bullseye for this purpose? Not for a suppressor, but just for a general quiet load?

Junkbug I would certainly think so.

I have personally only gone as low as 10 grains of Red Dot, but I was not trying to get sub-sonic either.

I would start in the 5 or 6 grains of Red Dot, load one, fire it. Ideally over a chrono and adjust from there.

I have shot several other calibers in the 4.5-5 grain range, and they are pretty quiet even without a silencer. .300 Blackout, .30-30, 7.62x39, .357 mag.

As noted above if you do not see the bullet hit, verify bore is clear. No need to get anyone injured.

Boolit Master
    My standard sub-sonic 54R load:

Lee 160gr 2R TL powder coated with Harbor Freight Red.

Powder: 6gr Bullseye
    Primer: Either large rifle or *large pistol (*large pistol works great in S&B brass which has slightly shallower primer pockets.)
    Velocity: 1075fps

With the PC these shoot as clean as any J-word load.

Here is a photo but these are gas checked for super sonic use.

Motor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150822_000326.jpg  

Boolit Buddy

I prefer the trail Boss in the 308, 303, 3006, and 300sav for use thru the can. I settled on the Berrys 150 gr FP 30/30 bullet, molyed so it has less chance of sticking. very accurate to about 150 yd. The powder coat sounds interesting though.

Boolit Master

I shoot the Lee 311-93-1R over 3 gr. of RD. TL'd with a LR primer. At 25 yds. it chews a ragged hole in the target. Great fun to shoot.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

I have shot a 100 gr .32 cal fmj over 10gr of unique.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lee 311-93 as well but not very accurate in my Mosin or my Enfield (need a larger diameter)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    My standard sub-sonic 54R load:

Lee 160gr 2R TL powder coated with Harbor Freight Red.

Powder: 6gr Bullseye
    Primer: Either large rifle or *large pistol (*large pistol works great in S&B brass which has slightly shallower primer pockets.)
    Velocity: 1075fps

With the PC these shoot as clean as any J-word load.

Here is a photo but these are gas checked for super sonic use.

Motor
    This is identical to my recipe almost same boolit and primer only I'm just a touch higher on the powder and my lees are pcd John Deere green for quite work!

Boolit Master
    If I want to go Sub Sonic, I just use my chamber adapter and shoot any of the .32 Pistol Calibers.
    32 H & R Mag, .32 long, 32 S & W or .32 ACP.
    Dang Quiet even with out a Can.
    Got the Adapters for .303 , .308, .30-06 also
    Need to buy or make one for the 7.62x39 next

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mrrch View Post
    I use the Lee 311-93 as well but not very accurate in my Mosin or my Enfield (need a larger diameter)
    I have 3 mosin 91/30's - one of them slugs at .312". My .311-93-1R drops them at .313". I tumble lube them and shoot them as cast. I use them sized at .310" in .30-06, .308 Win and 7.5x55 also sized .312" in .32 acp. Oh - almost forgot 7.62x25 - I size them at .309 for it.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

I also have that chamber adapter for my Mosin and it is darn quiet even without a can. Kinda funny watching people expecting the big boom from the Mosin and it sounds almost like a 22LR. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    If I want to go Sub Sonic, I just use my chamber adapter and shoot any of the .32 Pistol Calibers.
    32 H & R Mag, .32 long, 32 S & W or .32 ACP.
    Dang Quiet even with out a Can.
    Got the Adapters for .303 , .308, .30-06 also
    Need to buy or make one for the 7.62x39 next

Boolit Master
    Sometimes when I am at the range with my .308 Tactical , I load it with the chamber adapter without anyone seeing it , and then tell people to listen when I throw the Switch to Silent Mode.
    They are blown away , and think I have an Intragal Suppressor built into the Bull Barrel that I can switch on and off

That's funny. I will have to remember that next time I'm at the range.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Sometimes when I am at the range with my .308 Tactical , I load it with the chamber adapter without anyone seeing it , and then tell people to listen when I throw the Switch to Silent Mode.
    They are blown away , and think I have an Intragal Suppressor built into the Bull Barrel that I can switch on and off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast