Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Midway sale on the Lyman GP's ...

Banned

Midway sale on the Lyman GP's ...

head's up ... flinters, cappers, fully assembled and kits ... even a 1:32 barrel ...

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearc...temsPerPage=48

Perma-Banned
    Those are darn good prices that's for sure! I wonder what the deal is there? Sometimes that means they are trying to dump what they have and quit carrying it. One of these days i will get a slow twist round ball barrel to go along with my Lyman Great Plains Hunter so that i have both Fast and Slow twist barrels.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    They are allowing backorders and show an "in stock" date, so they aren't discontinued. It's just a sale. Enjoy!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Thought about getting my first flinter, but not sure if this would be an acceptable first for a new guy. Meaning these low initial cost, but require mid to high experience level to have work proper.

Example. LEE pro 1000 loader a nice machine for someone who knows the in's and out's of reloading, but a nightmare of frustration for someone brand new to reloading. Lots of "knack and feel" required to run smooth.

Would one of these flintlock versions be smooth sailing? or a tiddlywink of errors waiting to happen due to lack of "knack and feel" from experience?

I have a percussion GPR (amazing), but I hear flint is less forgiving of workmanship. Maybe that's all smoke and mirrors. Just thought I'd ask the knowledge base here.

Banned

the lyman rifles (actually, made by investarms in italy, who rebrands as cabelas, DGW and others) is, imho, the Best offshore sidelock yer dollars can buy. it has an excellent barrel that can have its breech plug removed (unlike almost all the other offshore guns), a good DS trigger system, and a decent lock that actually works. it's patent breech does require adding a .32 brush to yer rod to get past the breech face, but that's really no big deal. the wedge barrel and hooked breech means easy barrel removal for cleaning. like all the other offshore guns, they come with a cut junk rock for a "flint" that needs to be thrown away immediately and replaced with an english or french knapped flint.

for more info on trad ml's, this page my be of interest - About Traditional Muzzleloaders

i can heartily recommend investarms offshore side locks over the other italian guns (including pedersoli ml's), and those spanish guns (jukar, cva, traditions). t/c trad ml guns were goodies, but alas no more. i have some really expensive custom trad ml's, but i also have a pair of investarms as well (i just bought another GPR kit at that excellent $440 price - "kit" is a joke, it's actually already built and ready to use ... though sanding the wood, stain and oil finish is almost as easy as was screwing the parts together ). ALL my trad ml's are flinters, i don't do percussion guns at all - i know flintlocks very well, since the mid 50's.

there is more to understand about a flinter than a percussion gun, but the learning curve is not steep and the deep satisfaction of such a reliable gun makes smacking critters or paper or steel so much more Fun.

rfd, I really appreciate the feedback.

Looks like I'll be placing the order tonight.

Then I'll spend the week putting a kit together through Track of the Wolf.

Thanks,

PS. is there any particular Flint (Rock) that works better with GPR's than others?

Banned
    FAR from being ready to shoot in kit form. Terribly inletted at the tang.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    FAR from being ready to shoot in kit form. Terribly inletted at the tang.
    that is total misinformation - nothing could be further from the truth.
    Last edited by rfd; 02-28-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Cyclone View Post
    rfd, I really appreciate the feedback.

Looks like I'll be placing the order tonight.

Then I'll spend the week putting a kit together through Track of the Wolf.

Thanks,

PS. is there any particular Flint (Rock) that works better with GPR's than others?
    any good knapped flint will do - either english black or french amber. these locks will take a 5/8 x 3/4 flint.

i have *NO* affiliations with investarms, lyman, midway, etc. - i'm just telling it like it is from my perspective and clearly my opinions about the state of offshore trad ml's after decades of using and evaluating them. these investarms rifles are the better buys than ALL the offshore rest, and the "rest" includes the other italian bred guns (pedersoli, included) and definitely those spanish bred guns from traditions, cva and jukar. i've had them all, from ready to shoot to "kits". the spanish guns have patent breech plugs that are impossible to remove, and traditions literature specifies that attempting breech pug removal will destroy the barrel. i have gunsmith quality breech plug removal tools and have destroyed a traditions barrel attempting plug removal. investarms guns have barrels and patent breech plugs that can actually be worked on by most anyone, and some day this ability to remove a breech plug will save or extend the life of the rifle.

as mentioned already, the GPR "kit" is fully and properly inletted and ready to screw together, and shoot. should one choose, and you should, rasping/filing/sanding down the proud wood to meet the furniture is the work required. finishing is no more than applying an optional stain, but most important is to protect the wood with either a straight oil finish (linseed oil with dryers) or oil/varnish finish (i.e. - tru-oil).

Boolit Buddy
    I agree, Invest Arms is one of the better mass produced muzzleloaders out there today. I wish we could find a sale like that here in Canada!

Perma-Banned
    Another vote for Investarms, i really like my Lyman GP Hunter Fast Twist .54, the only thing i didn't like was the Crescent butt on this particular gun, the top was sharp as a knife! I didn't want to cut it off so i filled it with a memory foam and added a nice Leather Recoil pad. I stil say they take a backseat to ANY and ALL of my TC's, but since TC's are no longer made and haven't been for years the Lyman in my opinion is the next best thing. I have handled a few Traditions and they don't feel the quality to me as the Lyman Great Plains, again a personal thing. I have never owned one so can't speak much of them. I will likely end up buying a Traditions Crockett .32 Cal for fun. Here is my Lyman GP Hunter Recoil pad i installed

Attachment 189250

Banned
    I've built enough of my own and for other folks to know that they need plenty of adjustment in the tang. When you tighten up the tang screws and install the barrel and that barrel is sprung up a couple inches above the stock channel, THAT is not ready to drop in and go shooting.

The tang on this rifle and all the others after it, were shimmed with washers and some of the others down the road that I built, were bedded to correct this poorly fit tangs.

One of the purdier ones I built for an online friend.

Banned

then you, jon are the very rare exception to the rule. traditions wish they could say the same.

Banned

the $440 GPR .54 flintlock "kit" arrived 3 hours ago and i just got time to open the box. the lock, trigger, butt plate, toe plate and nose cap were already installed. within 15 minutes i turned in 16 screws to add the tang, barrel, under rib, trigger guard, and 4 wedge escutcheons. gee, that was hard work. it all fits quite well, no wood removal, no misalignments, no issue of any kind - as expected.

Banned
    not rare in any way, nothing is perfect, thats why they are a kit.

Banned

not rare in any way, nothing is perfect, thats why they are a kit.
    you are, as always when it comes to investarms products, completely incorrect.

Banned
    LOL I've owned many of them, i've built many of them. I am allowed to voice my experience about them. My gosh, its not a hard fix and its an important one to prevent your stock from cracking over time.

Banned

well jon, i bow to you as we all know about yer trad ml "expertise". LOL, by gosh!

Banned
    just giving folks a heads up on what to watch for is all.

Banned

just giving folks a heads up on what to watch for is all.
    i bet you are. guess you never had any issues with yer spanish guns?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast