Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Need some input Henry or Ruger?

Boolit Buddy

Need some input Henry or Ruger?

Deleted
    Last edited by Buckshot Bill; 04-07-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Boolit Master

Why not a marlin lever? I think I'd take a Marlin over Henry, as I have a Marlin Cowboy 357. Always wanted a 77/357 or 77/44, but never took the plunge. I would like to be able to seat boolits long, but have heard the Ruger's magazine only allows saami spec, of course.

Try to find a Marlin lever and if you do it will run maybe $1000 or better. I have not seen one on the used market locally that I can remember. Rossi makes a nice little 357 that I enjoy. Don't seen them very often either. Henry makes a good rifle. Some complain about its lack of a loading gate and how you tube feed it like a 22, but it worked on the original Henry and on 22's. I kind of like that system as it is easier to unload without working the action for every shell and it works. I am not cowboy shooter so I don't care about the ability to maintain the firepower some claim an advantage in a loading gate.

DP

Boolit Grand Master
    In an almost unrelated observation, the barrels for a .44 mag rifle and a .44 mag revolver have different SAAMI dimensions. Why, I've never understood, but the accuracy issues of your former rifle might have been related to that. As far as I know. 357's are the same. FWIW ?

Boolit Master
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe Ruger has dropped the pistol caliber line of 77's so you'd better jump on one if you want it. In respect to that I doubt you'll see product growth and bigger magazines for it. In the grand scheme of the number of 77's sold, the pistol caliber version didn't sell well, hence Ruger dropping the line.

Food for thought.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy
    Deleted
    Last edited by Buckshot Bill; 04-07-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Ruger 77 on .357 has had some accuracy issues. It is one reason I did not buy one...plus they are way overpriced IMHO.

If they can sell an Amercian for $300 why is the M77 in .357 more than double that?
    Don Verna

I think the biggest design flaw is the calibers. Not saying anything about whether they are good rifles or not, but a pistol caliber does not appeal to many in a bolt action. Savage made a few in 32-20 and 25-20 but I don't see a lot of them. Cowboy shooting made a lot of the lever guns popular in pistol caliber. The 357 is a handy little opportunity caliber in a rifle off the 4 Wheeler or tractor and I carry the Rossi that way a lot. A single shot would be just as handy.

DEP

Boolit Grand Master

Neither. Henry's are way to heavy and don't have a loading gate. The Ruger has accuracy issues. Save your money and buy a Marlin when you find one. Their prices are below $1k. That peak has passed.

Boolit Master
    Well, I happen to have a ruger77/357, and my shooting budy has a henry. With our reloads, both guns shoot 1" groups at 100 yards. The henry is heavier, but has a better capacity. If you are using it as a walking rifle , go with the ruger. If you want a classic hand down to the kids kinda rifle that works for hunting, and don't have to carry it too far, go with the henry. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the henry, but I absolutely love my ruger.

Boolit Master

With those options, probably a Henry. I have no experiance with either of the two but with the Ruger chamber/accurracy history I'd move to other options. They Henry is a non starter for me as no side loading gat as others have said although I'm interested in the Henry in 327 FM when they hit the street just based on the chambering. For a low budget lever I'd look at a Rossi. Granted, the have generous chambers but folks are getting good accurracy out of them. With a little spring work, deburring and a replacement bolt safety peep sight, they can be nice.

I own both Marlin and Henry. Henry now has a carbine model in a 16 inch barrel that handles very well and isnt as heavy as the 20 inch model. I personally dont have an issue with the weight of the full size. I just did a quick look at Gunbroker where JM Marlins are still bringing big money especially the cowboy models. I dont have the issue with the load gate like some Henry bashers do but I do know one thing. You wont find a better company for customer service if you need it than Henry. They are first class. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

The loading gate is a non issue in a hunting rifle. If you need more rounds, just drop them one at a time in the chamber. 3 shots is the limit for deer hunting here. If you miss all 3, you are not getting any more. Ethical shots anyway.

The brass Henry is heavier. The steel version is no heavier then a Marlin if barrel lengths are equal.

That being said, the Marlin or the Henry would both be good choices. The Ruger would be a good deer rifle also. Can't go wrong with any of them.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 03-05-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Skip the guessing and buy one of each!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    If the Ruger barrel has a long unacceptable leade, it is a simple matter to have a gunsmith set it back and rechamber it (Preferably to suit your fav cast boolit at the same time).

They would be a nice freezer filler with a low mounted Leupold 2-7 or similar scope, with enough magnification for range plinking, etc.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I never liked the 2 piece bolt design on the rugers. It's ok to use that design on rimfires but it leads to issues with centerfires. I've always stayed away from the rugers for that reason.