Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forster Progressive Turret Press

I am an enthusiast, a collector, and a lover of using "vintage" items to do everyday tasks. With that being said... I will most likely replace 7 of the Lyman all-american turrets I currently use to load with Stars. I have an old Pacific from 1929 that I use to neck size my 44-40 and also have a Frankford Arsenal press from the teens. I can promise you all that this stuff will be used and taken care of and if and when the time comes to sell, it will be here, that I can promise you. I just need a minute to let it all sink in.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    For all you doubting Thomasas there really is a Forster automatic turret press. It is a big, heavy beast that cost as much to ship as it was worth. Maybe 100 made. Folks at Forster don't want to talk about it, they will barely acknowledge that sold it.
    I have heard, but not confirmed, that it was designed by someone who then went to Dillon and got that line going.
    The yellow one in the brochure is the only one painted that color, no one knows what happened to it. All the others are black.

Ken
    Pressman I knew that you or seagiant would be along to set the record straight. Thanks for the history lesson and the pics. I looked for a date on the yellow brochure but didn't see one. Any idea what time period we are talking here?

Banned
    Iowa Fox, If I recall it was about 1980, give or take. It would be just before the first Dillon was released for sale.

Ken

I love this forum. I also hate this forum. Now I want one of those!

Banned

I saw one at a gun shop in Sunbury, PA called Geiser Guns.

Banned
    And you didn't buy it?????

I feel compelled to comment on this. With Machine Tools, and Loading Presses are in fact "Machine Tools," a Turret Machine uses tools mounted on a turret that either advance manually or automatically to the Work Piece. In other words on a Turret Lathe the work piece is held in a Chuck or Collet and the tools are brought to it to perform different operations to the finished part. Optimally the finished part is cut off in the last operation, and optimally that coincides with one complete revolution of the turret, or no wasted motion.

In my Experience most Turret Lathes have turrets with either 6 or 8 stations. Many times a part will only require say 3 operations and on a 6 station turret you would use every other station and double index each time you changed tools, so that the turret makes one complete revolution.

It should be noted that this is NOT a "Progressive Machine! It requires as many indexes of the turret as you have tools required to make the part. IE 6 operations requires you to index the turret 6 times for each part.

Turret Reloading Presses when set up this way require you to pull the handle that many times for each round and the tools are brought to the round which stays in the shell holder from beginning to end.

A variation of this concept is the machine where you manually move the Round to each tool. Examples are C&H 444 and PW Metallic II, and Single stage shotshell reloaders operate like this.

In all cases you are essentially moving the tools to the work., even though it appears the exact opposite is happening, the result is the same..

A Progressive Machine performs all operations to multiple parts at the same time and every time the machine indexes it produces a finished part.

In Machine Shop Land, a perfect example of this is the Multi-Spindle Screw Machine. There are variations of these machines which have 4-8 spindles arraigned in a "Revolving Carriage" similar to the cylinder of a Revolver. The tools for each station are arraigned on a slide that advanced towards the spindles to do the work. The cycle time for each part produced will be the time the longest operation takes to complete, and each time that cycle is done the Carriage/Spindles "Indexes" and the slide advances to the work once again. After all stations are filled, the machine produces a finished part everytime the Carriage Indexes. It should be noted that C&H Dies were originally made in a Multi Spindle Screw Machine Shop in LA called "C&H."

A Progressive Loading Machine works exactly the same way,,, IE: it takes the all of the work to all of the tools simultaneously, and everytime the handle is pulled the machine indexes and it produces a Finished Round.

This is how a Progressive Machine works,,, Period!

In the end the simple definition is ,,, a Turret Machine "takes the Tools to the Work," and a Progressive Machine takes the Work to all of the Tools at once.

I hope this clears up any misconceptions anyone here might have about the difference between these two types of machines.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-09-2021 at 06:26 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Randy, that is great information. Thank you for sharing.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if this press was the inspiration for the Lee auto indexing turret press ?
    Thanks for posting the pics of this press I was unaware of any auto indexing turrets other than the Lee.

Banned

I didn’t buy it 36 years ago cause I didn’t have the money cause I was paying for a divorce!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    I didn’t buy it 36 years ago cause I didn’t have the money cause I was paying for a divorce!
    Been there, done that.

IMHO it should be hard and expensive to get married, and easy and cheap to get divorced.
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned
    Burnt Fingers I agree. My ex drove me into bankruptcy by manipulating the child support system.

Boolit Master

Burnt Fingers I agree. My ex drove me into bankruptcy by manipulating the child support system.
    Don't get me started down that road.

At one time Washington state wanted me to pay 85% of my take home pay in child support for two kids. It seems that they made "a mistake" in the paperwork and expected it would take them 6-8 months to correct "the mistake" but I HAD to pay the 85% till they fixed "the mistake".
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I wonder if this press was the inspiration for the Lee auto indexing turret press ?
    Thanks for posting the pics of this press I was unaware of any auto indexing turrets other than the Lee.
    Probably not. The idea has been around for a long time, just making it work in a practical manner was the challenge. It has to be not to complicated and light enough to ship. The Foster weighs nearly 60 pounds.
    I have another working model of and auto indexing press that is both heavy and complicated. Again not practical.
    Ken

Evil #2 just stopped coming home one day, a few days later I open the mail and she cleaned out a Heloc account in both our names. 0 balance before, 100K after. I nearly passed out. Just to finish the robbery she filed bankruptcy a few days later. And she brought nothing to the marriage and I put a step daughter through college.
    I know, I'm a idiot.
    Forced me into bankruptcy later when I realized I'd never be able to keep up with payments alone.
    I'm so proud of myself for not doing something that would have me in jail or death row.

I want to go back to post # 28 where Pressman thanks Randy for the great information about turret and progressive classification for tools, machines and I guess other things mechanical. I think it is great information. Provides clarity to something that has bugged me for over thirty years. It is a regret that we can't get that clear thought process out to all reloaders new and old.
    Last edited by Mike Kerr; 01-11-2021 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling
    regards,

Boolit Master

Shades of "All my exes live in Texas . . ." First Wife worked when we started, stayed home when the babies came, and I will will giver credit for being good with money. That lady could stretch a dollar into a ten spot. While the youngun's were young, we sold our first house, bought a 1/2 acre of bare land worth twice, built a house with a good contractor, sold that when the market was hot, but had already bought land, 3 1/2 acres before I transferred. When the second house sold, built the third house when contractors were starving.

When 3 acres with a fixer hit the market as an estate sale, we picked it up very cheap and had it paid off when we sold the third house, with money in the bank. I had the deed at 30. Each house with property had chickens, rabbits, ducks, geese, 2 lambs that didn't make it, and a goat that was just a pet. I am proud to say my girls did not eat store bought meat, eggs, or veggies for over 3 years.

I had worked a ton of overtime that helped immensely in our escapades. I quit working OT once the deed was in our safe. About a year after we moved on the smaller property, she decided I was not necessarily needed any more. She kept the paid for house, I kept all of my retirement. Before the divorce was final, I purchased another house, a shack really, while I didn't have a judgement against me for spousal and child support, and the deed with my name on it. Soon to be ex suggested I do so while my credit report reflected such things. I'll give her that much, she wasn't the <language> from <language> most folks endured.

Spousal and child support was usual in a way, child was, spousal was not half my check. She had by this time gotten a part time job, and our agreement was that her support ends in 2 years, or until she gains full time employment, which she did a few months before the 2 years was up. Things were cordial but my visitation was minimal and both the girls wanted to see their Dad more often.

I met a lady with 2 girls of her own, the girls were like sister in pretty much every was, except they didn't bicker. Well there were occasional flatulence wars, but those came with giggles. I dated that lady for a year and then married. Then the <language> from <language> reared her ugly head. Made our lives hell, dragged me into court for everything, harassed me through the mail and at work. 4 years of that, second wife says 'I love you, but I am not putting my girls through this.' She broke 3 hearts. She still checks up on me, visits her grand kids weekly from all 4 girls.

A year after the second divorce, I met my Angel of the last 23 years. We got full custody of the girls 2 months later, and I started receiving child support, which was promptly deposited in their accounts for college. My new daughter was almost 3, and she was so excited to have big sisters. We started having some fun times.

My Wife was given the option to work where she enjoyed what she did, or stay at home. She said the family needed her at home. She has taken jobs from time to time, advanced quickly in healthcare, banking and finance, assistant manager for a non-profit, but always left after a while because 'the family needs me at home.' I went back to working overtime to support the family.

Between the girls, all with college degrees, are married mommies, all in all, I have 7 grand kids, 3 properties in 3 states, 2 with houses, and I am retired. FIL lives with us, MIL does not (they've been divorced 30 years) but visits and stays with us when my Wife brings her home after chemo. My Wife takes her Mom to all of her cancer treatment appointments.

Am I bragging or blessed? I'm going to go with blessed for being obedient. There have been rough patches that only faith has brought us through. That is the whole point of the long rant. I had a wild child that left and her life was a mess. OK, I sent her to her mother's due to her 'attitude' and how purposefully destructive to the family. She was gone to the East Coast for 2 years, but returned. Some years later, I think 5, we started talking again. She asked me 'how do you do it, Dad?' I told her 'you know my foundation is in faith, I can't do this by myself.' She didn't tell me she started having someone come by to help her find answers for about 6 months. She didn't tell me for 6 months she was co-teaching Sunday School as a sign language interpreter and instructor.

All of my girls learned to sign as a means to speak to their children even before they can speak. 'Hungry? Milk or juice? Diaper?' It is amazing how little a child cries when they can tell you what they need. I guess you can say they are all bilingual. Youngest grand daughter is learning Spanish from her Daddy as he is fluent. Man, he speaks better Spanish dialect than most Hispanic folks, but he is not, as he grew up in El Paso, TX. Youngest daughter just told me the other day, she starts working on her Master's Degree in Forensic Psychology next March.

Having to attend Church on the internet, or watch reruns, is different but essential. 'Wherever 2 or more are gathered' according to my oldest Grand Daughter is 'Jesus is in my heart, so that makes 2.' Oh the wisdom of a child of 4, she is 10 now.

Faith, brothers and sisters of the 'Silver Stream.' I don't care what, who, or how you believe. So long as your beliefs bring you joy to you and those around you, by golly live it beyond just saying the words.

I worked in a maximum security prison for most of my 31 year career. Inmates would always ask 'why are you so happy all the time?' My response was generally 'I have a belief in something.' Not allowed to openly 'share' but it was not frowned upon if you were asked, first. I can't count how many returned to their belief in 'something' and changed their lives, even knowing life without wasn't going to change for them. Well, one guy, he got his case overturned due to facts of the law, not his actual involvement in a crime.

Some folks may never see the 'book' directly, but can see the book in the life you live, and want that fulfillment. No book was ever sold without a catchy cover, but if the content doesn't match the cover, it isn't worth reading. Be the book worth reading.

My apologies to the board, my thanks to the moderators for correcting my language which should have read "That kind of person you always hear about regarding former spouses. Again, thanks for the correction, I sincerely apologize, it won't happen again.
    Last edited by fcvan; 01-12-2021 at 07:23 AM. Reason: apologies were in order
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Quote Originally Posted by Blindshooter View Post
    I'm so proud of myself for not doing something that would have me in jail or death row.
    You just needed a better teacher.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    Here is one from the Bob Hayley estate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    Shades of "All my exes live in Texas . . ." First Wife worked when we started, stayed home when the babies came, and I will will giver credit for being good with money. That lady could stretch a dollar into a ten spot. While the youngun's were young, we sold our first house, bought a 1/2 acre of bare land worth twice, built a house with a good contractor, sold that when the market was hot, but had already bought land, 3 1/2 acres before I transferred. When the second house sold, built the third house when contractors were starving.

When 3 acres with a fixer hit the market as an estate sale, we picked it up very cheap and had it paid off when we sold the third house, with money in the bank. I had the deed at 30. Each house with property had chickens, rabbits, ducks, geese, 2 lambs that didn't make it, and a goat that was just a pet. I am proud to say my girls did not eat store bought meat, eggs, or veggies for over 3 years.

I had worked a ton of overtime that helped immensely in our escapades. I quit working OT once the deed was in our safe. About a year after we moved on the smaller property, she decided I was not necessarily needed any more. She kept the paid for house, I kept all of my retirement. Before the divorce was final, I purchased another house, a shack really, while I didn't have a judgement against me for spousal and child support, and the deed with my name on it. Soon to be ex suggested I do so while my credit report reflected such things. I'll give her that much, she wasn't the <language> from <language> most folks endured.

Spousal and child support was usual in a way, child was, spousal was not half my check. She had by this time gotten a part time job, and our agreement was that her support ends in 2 years, or until she gains full time employment, which she did a few months before the 2 years was up. Things were cordial but my visitation was minimal and both the girls wanted to see their Dad more often.

I met a lady with 2 girls of her own, the girls were like sister in pretty much every was, except they didn't bicker. Well there were occasional flatulence wars, but those came with giggles. I dated that lady for a year and then married. Then the <language> from <language> reared her ugly head. Made our lives hell, dragged me into court for everything, harassed me through the mail and at work. 4 years of that, second wife says 'I love you, but I am not putting my girls through this.' She broke 3 hearts. She still checks up on me, visits her grand kids weekly from all 4 girls.

A year after the second divorce, I met my Angel of the last 23 years. We got full custody of the girls 2 months later, and I started receiving child support, which was promptly deposited in their accounts for college. My new daughter was almost 3, and she was so excited to have big sisters. We started having some fun times.

My Wife was given the option to work where she enjoyed what she did, or stay at home. She said the family needed her at home. She has taken jobs from time to time, advanced quickly in healthcare, banking and finance, assistant manager for a non-profit, but always left after a while because 'the family needs me at home.' I went back to working overtime to support the family.

Between the girls, all with college degrees, are married mommies, all in all, I have 7 grand kids, 3 properties in 3 states, 2 with houses, and I am retired. FIL lives with us, MIL does not (they've been divorced 30 years) but visits and stays with us when my Wife brings her home after chemo. My Wife takes her Mom to all of her cancer treatment appointments.

Am I bragging or blessed? I'm going to go with blessed for being obedient. There have been rough patches that only faith has brought us through. That is the whole point of the long rant. I had a wild child that left and her life was a mess. OK, I sent her to her mother's due to her 'attitude' and how purposefully destructive to the family. She was gone to the East Coast for 2 years, but returned. Some years later, I think 5, we started talking again. She asked me 'how do you do it, Dad?' I told her 'you know my foundation is in faith, I can't do this by myself.' She didn't tell me she started having someone come by to help her find answers for about 6 months. She didn't tell me for 6 months she was co-teaching Sunday School as a sign language interpreter and instructor.

All of my girls learned to sign as a means to speak to their children even before they can speak. 'Hungry? Milk or juice? Diaper?' It is amazing how little a child cries when they can tell you what they need. I guess you can say they are all bilingual. Youngest grand daughter is learning Spanish from her Daddy as he is fluent. Man, he speaks better Spanish dialect than most Hispanic folks, but he is not, as he grew up in El Paso, TX. Youngest daughter just told me the other day, she starts working on her Master's Degree in Forensic Psychology next March.

Having to attend Church on the internet, or watch reruns, is different but essential. 'Wherever 2 or more are gathered' according to my oldest Grand Daughter is 'Jesus is in my heart, so that makes 2.' Oh the wisdom of a child of 4, she is 10 now.

Faith, brothers and sisters of the 'Silver Stream.' I don't care what, who, or how you believe. So long as your beliefs bring you joy to you and those around you, by golly live it beyond just saying the words.

I worked in a maximum security prison for most of my 31 year career. Inmates would always ask 'why are you so happy all the time?' My response was generally 'I have a belief in something.' Not allowed to openly 'share' but it was not frowned upon if you were asked, first. I can't count how many returned to their belief in 'something' and changed their lives, even knowing life without wasn't going to change for them. Well, one guy, he got his case overturned due to facts of the law, not his actual involvement in a crime.

Some folks may never see the 'book' directly, but can see the book in the life you live, and want that fulfillment. No book was ever sold without a catchy cover, but if the content doesn't match the cover, it isn't worth reading. Be the book worth reading.

My apologies to the board, my thanks to the moderators for correcting my language which should have read "That kind of person you always hear about regarding former spouses. Again, thanks for the correction, I sincerely apologize, it won't happen again.
    Wow, what a great testament. Your story has touched me deeply at a time when I’m trying to find my way once again. Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast