RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW MFG. .357 in shorter barrel lengths?

Boolit Buddy

NEW MFG. .357 in shorter barrel lengths?

I find myself with a hankering for a light .357 carbine , i.e. 20" or less it seems from looking at current online catalogs that is a rare bird indeed

Boolit Master
    i have the ruger 77/357 magnum.its a great shooter.

I picked up a Rossi 1892 with 20" barrel that I'm real happy with. It seems like it was around $500 shipped in stainless.

Boolit Master

Henry Big Boy Steel in carbine or rifle length.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    My 1981 Marlin 1894C in 357 had a barrel of 18 1/2" when new. It was good and still would be but it is even better now with a 16 1/4" barrel and a button magazine. Makes for a really handy little "getter"!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1860.jpg   DSCF1861.jpg  
    Last edited by Guesser; 03-02-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Boolit Master

look into the "mares leg" they are fun to shoot.

Henry is making the all weather in a .357 / .38 rifle now. That with a trusty revolver and you got yourself a great combo setup.

The .357/.38 Special 16" Rossi Big Loop Model 92 I had shot like a house afire - but I liked it even more after I swapped another forum member for his standard loop lever (the levers are interchangeable).

Last edited by pietro; 02-27-2017 at 05:05 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I am also looking at similar guns. Narrowed down to Rossi 16" SS or the Taylor's &Co. Alaskan T/D 16". I believe Winchester (Miruko) also makes or made a 16" 1892.

Boolit Master

I have been eyeballin the alaskan td.

Boolit Master

NEW MFG. .357 in shorter barrel lengths?

Uberti offers a number of 1873s in carbine lengths and short rifles. Henry and Rossi both offer 20" or less in their various carbine/rifles. If you are patient and willing to stock Gunbroker I would hold out for an older Marlin 94 or better yet a Browning 92 in 357.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

You might find a Win 94 Trapper in .357 if the stars align. Personally I' d look for a Rossi 20" & shorten it. Best, Thomas.

Super Moderator

............I bought a Rossi 'Puma' a few years ago in 357/38 with a 20" bbl at a great price as Big 5 sporting goods was getting rid of them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me I happen to think that for a barrel shorter then 24" it seems to me the 20" has a more balanced look to it then the 16" bbl. After typing that I have a friend who has an old Rossi (Interarms import), blued with a 16" bbl, and it's quite cute It's just that the 16" barrel isn't that much longer then the buttstock, and handiness aside, the buttstock simply overpowers the short barrel and all that is only my opinion.

On Midway's clearance list a couple years back they had these Uberti made Winchester type carbine sights for a friendly price, so I added it to the rifle.

One other irksome item the Rossi came equipped with was it's front barrel band. Externally it was a simple oval, and was very thick over the barrel. Besides that it didn't really fit the forend very well. I thought about it for some time and finally took it off. I cut a slot across it's width on the bottom, clamped it back together and MiG welded it. MUCH better fit to the forend. Next up was reduce the contour where it goes around the barrel, so I got after it with an assortment of files to create the 2 exterior shoulders and reduced the bands thickness and reduced the radius

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Perma-Banned

I am tickled with my Rossi .357 16"...I bought it new about 10 months ago and it has been flawless. It cycles almost anything and is very accurate. It has quickly become one of my favorite guns...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170302_031948351.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	189425

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I corrected the age of the gun and added pictures to post #5

Boolit Bub

Got a winchester '92 trapper takedown yesterday. Been looking for one for about 2 years. Paid too much, but I am really happy with it.
    Hope to take it to the range soon. Would post pictures but this site won't let me. Fit and finish is outstanding. Cycles everything I have put through it. Have a 16 inch Rossi that won't cycle anything longer then 1.570. Really disappointed in it. 2 trips to Florida and nothing has changed. Probably gonna dump it soon.

Boolit Master

beware the winchester mdl 94 in .357 mag, years ago I had one and it was a real pain. It would not feed unless you did it very slowly and with some authority. Traded it for something else don't remember what.

The reason it didn't work well is that the .357 mag is really short in that action. If I were to go for a winchester in .357 mag I would look for one of the Miroku mdl 92's.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Biggest benefit I see with the 20" 357 barrel is If you are going to shoot a lot of 180-200 grainers with H110 or 1680. Then you do gain a good 100 fps. But the 165's and less weight cast just do not gain much at all even with H110.
    A 16 inch barrel seems to get all you will get from #9 and faster powders. And very handy they are. We even have a 16 1/8 inch 1873 after market in 44 WCF that is one fine groundhog popper at 50 yards and less. River bottom and woodsy hunting is one fine blast with that short 73.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    How 'bout a Henry Mare's Leg or Rossi Ranch Hand with an SBR stamp?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    My 1981 Marlin 1894C in 357 had a barrel of 18 1/2" when new. It was good and still would be but it is even better now with a 16 1/4" barrel and a button magazine. Makes for a really handy little "getter"!!
    I kinda like the shortened mag tube , wasn't it originally the same length as the barrel, and how many does it hold now , looks like maybe 6 or 8 ?
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast