RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Help identifying a piece of brass

Help identifying a piece of brass

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I didn't know where else to put it. I came across this piece of brass while processing some .223 I got from somewhere (don't remember where.) At first I thought it was just a .223 that had been cut down to form .300BLK brass, but then I noticed the headstamp: WCC 53...Six years before the introduction of the .223 Rem. I have a attached some pics of measurements and comparison to a .223 Rem. case. Any ideas?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

That's a piece of 30 Carbine.

Boolit Master
    its a 30 carbine

Huh....30 carbine didn't even cross my mind 🙄 guess that was pretty obvious...

Boolit Master
    not really, i just happen to reload a ton of them, one of the biggest pain in the butt rounds to reload.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    not really, i just happen to reload a ton of them, one of the biggest pain in the butt rounds to reload.

Ya think???
    I use them for 22-30 ... now were talkin PITA...But, I really like that round in my 10" Contender...More better than the 221 FB. IMO

Boolit Master
    bet 22-30 really tests the old reloading bench! i lube the cases AND use carbide dies.

Really don't like reloading 30 Carbine. But, it's rewarding to see 'em when they're done.

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Really don't like reloading 30 Carbine. But, it's rewarding to see 'em when they're done.
    I feel the same about 9mm. I get no joy out of reloading it, but it's better than buying factory.

Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    Just curious on he guys that say 30 carbine is hard to load, I have loaded a reasonable amount on both single stage and a Dillon 550, jacketed and cast both and not had real problems that I can remember, but it has been a year+ since loading any. Found .204 Ruger way more of a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Just curious on he guys that say 30 carbine is hard to load, I have loaded a reasonable amount on both single stage and a Dillon 550, jacketed and cast both and not had real problems that I can remember, but it has been a year+ since loading any. Found .204 Ruger way more of a pain.
    Two things for me.

- I hate trimming them. Even on a Giraud it takes a lot of time.
    - It takes a lot of work to get them dropping right through a case feeder. Apparently Dillon has a work-through with a space washer under the feeder plate, but Hornady does not. The hopper has to be set EXACTLY right, and even then you get jambs.

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Two things for me.

- I hate trimming them. Even on a Giraud it takes a lot of time.
    - It takes a lot of work to get them dropping right through a case feeder. Apparently Dillon has a work-through with a space washer under the feeder plate, but Hornady does not. The hopper has to be set EXACTLY right, and even then you get jambs.
    Never used a case feeder, trimming IS a pain. I trimmed ~1000 a couple of years ago with a lee trimmer set up in a drill press, yes the fingers got sore until I modified the case holder lock ring with a pin that gave me much more leverage than trying to tighten the case into the holder with just the knurled ring.