MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: S & W value

Boolit Buddy

S & W value

I have a S&W model 14 that has a 8.375" barrel, in a .38 Spec'l w/box and is 99% condition. Have thought about selling to free up cash for another cast bullet rifle. Gun Broker and Guns America do not show any models like this. Where should I start pricing to be fair to myself and a buyer?

Boolit Master
    Well, sir I have been looking for just that same gun for awhile. I just haven't been able to come up with the money. From what I've seen, the asking prices have been 800 - 950.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I think Marlin 39A is on the right track with realistic pricing, the difference between "asking" prices and "getting" prices being what they are. I have seen LNIB examples listed with $1000 asking prices getting no bids and being relisted multiple times without selling, but 6" Model 14s, which are more common, frequently go in the $650-750 range. The 8-3/8" is a rarer revolver and would command a slight premium, IF in pristine condition with both, papers, etc.

If the gun were mine I wouldn't sell it for less than $800, but would snap up a cash offer in that range. Hope the validation is helpful.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I've got the same gun, same condition. I would imagine $800 or so might sell in this market. I paid a whole bunch less than that for mine, but I guess that's the general idea

Boolit Master

A 38 Masterpiece like that is a real pleasure to shoot. I have a 5-screw 4" Combat Masterpiece (not an M-15!) that is my fave! The above valuations sound right to me.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master
    For my Birthday last December I got a Minty Model 14 in the 6 inch length in the box for 550--which was a steal, given the crappy gun laws we have here in California. I would have expected to pay at least 800 for an equivalent 8 and 3/8.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Perma-Banned

I think you will have a hard time getting $900.00 I have seen most go for $700.00 to $750.00 if they are clean.

Boolit Buddy
    Assuming it's in the condition stated with original numbered to the gun stocks & box with cleaning rod , swab , bore brush , SAT & factory warranty card / paperwork I'd think $ 750 from a motivated buyer . Earlier the vintage the less resistance to the price . That length wasn't in production until 1959 . If it happens to be a scarce 14 dash 1 add 25 to 50% , single action only varified with factory letter add 25% , factory nickel varified with factory letter add 50% . Hope this helps .

I know I want it. Had a K38 6" back in the day but a brother lost it. That 8-3/8" of yours would be my turkey gun and whatever else. Good luck with your sale! (no$$$ here)

I would dearly love to be able to hunt turkeys with a revolver. (sorry for drifting the thread)
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

The 38sp's have been creeping up in value. Guns that went for $5-600 not long ago are pushing $900 with the box and wrapper. SW Forum is a good place to check out prices. Those guys are spot on with anything S&W.

If your gun is minty in the original box with the papers and wrap it will bring upwards of $800 to the right collector from the prices I've seen lately
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I know I want it. Had a K38 6" back in the day but a brother lost it. That 8-3/8" of yours would be my turkey gun and whatever else. Good luck with your sale! (no$$$ here)
    Interestingly enough, my 8-3/8" is my least accurate 38. It's not bad, under 3" at 50 yards, but gets beaten regularly by my shorter guns. I have never really given it a good going over, and I expect it has a good bit of thread choke. Once fixed, it may shoot good enough for a squirrel gun, the reason I bought it in the first place. Well, that and it was a 99+% gun for $200. (mid 1990's).

S&Ws are my main interest. Only adjustable sight models. The one thing you didn't disclose is
    the "dash" number that follows 14- in model number. This means a lot in pricing your gun. I can't
    put a price on your gun with out it. The older models that have a pinned barrel, it's visible through top front of frame. Also if gun has original grips, box, docs, and assessories makes a big
    difference. I have several 14s, average price for a nice shooter is $500, just the gun.Attachment 190108