RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First cast 9mm boolits

First cast 9mm boolits

Just finished doing my first cast for my ruger sr9c and it actually went preatty good. I am using a lee 356 120 tc tl mold that I bought from a member on this site. Seated the boolits to 1.110 and as cast all of my dummy boolits pass the kerplunk test. The boolits range from .3565-.358. My barrel is .3545 groove to groove. .002 over would be .3565. Should I get a .356 lee sizer or round up to .357? I know the pass the kerplunk test and chamber but, wouldn't I want them a consistent size? I think tommrow I will shoot them as cast to see what happens. The boolits came out preatty good too.

The ones on the very top of the first picture are straight wheel weight. The ones on the bottom I added some tin 50/50 solder I bought at the hardware store. I wanted to see the difference with tin. Seems like the tin ones filled out better and less rejects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michael.birdsley; 02-26-2017 at 03:57 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I would go .357 just to be on the safe side. I mostly run all my cast through a sizer to make them all uniform and I also powder coat my boolits so that adds a few thou to the pre sized boolit. I've shot 3 thou over bore without any issue.

Did you put any lube on them? If not, you will be in the market for a Lewis Lead remover.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Grand Master
    Rare to have a bore that diameter. .356 and up seems to be the norm.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Congrats on your successful casting session!

I have the Lee 356-120 TC (not the TL like yours). I just TL them in Alox/Paste Wax and shoot them as they fall form the mold. Mine fall about .357 - .358. I had a SR9 (sold it and went to a Shield) and they all worked fine out of it. I tried sizing a batch to .357 but found that they didn't shoot any better than "as dropped".

The plunk test will tell you but shortly after I started loading 9mm, I picked up a "cartridge gauge" and it's one of the handiest things to have on your bench - for me it saves having to have a barrel handy to check randomly as I load. It will tally if your cartridge is within specs. I also got one for .380 and just got one for 45ACP that I am about to start reloading. For cartridges that headspace on the rim, I find it a very worthwhile tool to have.

Congrats again and have fun!

Banned

I hope you lubed them too
    I wouldn't bother sizing them if they are under 358.

First cast 9mm boolits

They are going to get tumble lubed. Ordered the sizer today
    I will tumble lube the ones I have allready made to night and shoot them tomorrow morning.

Last edited by michael.birdsley; 02-26-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Any plans to PC as well? I'd be interested to see how those coat and shoot. On the fence for normal lube grooves vs TL style

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe there have been leading issues with that bullet in the TL design. So check the barrel after every few rounds.

The non TL bullets fare better (more bearing area?). If they lead, try a harder alloy (to grip the rifling), or power coat.
    Don Verna

First cast 9mm boolits

Quote Originally Posted by adam_mac84 View Post
    Any plans to PC as well? I'd be interested to see how those coat and shoot. On the fence for normal lube grooves vs TL style
    I dunno we will see what happens I guess. This is my first go around casting other than my muzzle loader and fishing jigs/sinkers.

First cast 9mm boolits

Didn't go to the range today instead I bought a ruger SR9E. So I shot that and my .30-.30 instead at the range. Probably shoot these sometime this week on my way to Saginaw to drop of my of my Pistol Sales Record form to the sherrifs dept. Tumbled lubed these last night. Loaded them today under some bullseye ranging from 3.8-4.2 grn. Using Lyman's reloading manual, Lyman's cast reloading manual and the complete reloading manual for the 9mm Luger. All passed my Lyman case gage and kerplunk test.

Boolit Master
    Your boolits look good, but don't get discouraged if you have leading and tumbling.
    That can be a problematic mold. No amount of alloy changes, tumble lubing or loading methods made much difference for mine, I had to sell it. It made beautiful boolits that dropped right around .357" and hit the target sideways. Not trying to be negative, I spent a long time with that boolit before I gave up. Every other 9mm boolit I've tried has been fine. Again, I really hope you have better luck with it! Best powders for it were AA #5 and #7.
    Last edited by Boolseye; 03-02-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I also have that lee mold. the bullets work great in a .38/357 revolver but for me, not in a 9mm auto. to get the action to work the bullets will keyhold. and are not accurate.(thats in a CZ champion, CZ 75B, Star model 30, Bersa thunder9 and a Tanfolio all 9mm. I had to go to a much heaver bullet(161gr.) to get accuracy and work the action. see my notes in an earier part of the site.

First cast 9mm boolits

Any body who has this mold tried unique in it. I also have that on hand. I'm home after a 12 hr shift and it's raining out. I'm Leary on the charges at 3.8-3.9 because Jacket bullets won't cycle my sr9c that low. I only work ten hrs tomorrow so I think I'll try it than.

The bullets look good! I am not a fan of the TL designs, & seating them out that far leaves the lube groove exposed to dirt which you will be sending down your bore. I like to size all my cast so that they are uniform. I used mixed brass & getting an occasional fatty will cause issue in some of my pistols. I am now sizing 0.357" for everything, seems to give best accuracy.
    If a lead bullet won't shoot with Unique, it probably wont shoot.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by adam_mac84 View Post
    Go normal IMO. It gives you options that TL will not. Plus I have heard many complain about accuracy issues with some TL designs, especially when sizing, never with traditional groove designs.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    also seat the bullets down in the case.Where the edge of the bullet is even with the front edge of the case. as the bullet will(may)scrape the side of the chamber and leave a ring of lead in front of the case. the second case will jam on the lead ring. that's one of the biggest problems I'm having with shooting lead bullets in 9mm. so far, I've found that the heavier bullets work better in 9mm,(like 150gr to my latest is a round nose at 165gr.)(it's lee 357/158 round nose, 6 holer)

Boolit Master
    I'm wondering if they will feed at all with that bullet out of the case so far, most of my semi's wouldn't chamber that.

Boolit Master

Your SR9C must have a long transition from the chamber to the rifling. I can not seat the 356120 TC(not TL) @ 356 size any longer than 1.058 and pass the plunk test in all my 9mm's. You initial casting results look good, lets hope the bullets shoot well for you.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    Your SR9C must have a long transition from the chamber to the rifling. I can not seat the 356120 TC(not TL) @ 356 size any longer than 1.058 and pass the plunk test in all my 9mm's. You initial casting results look good, lets hope the bullets shoot well for you.
    With 5 dummy rounds they all chambered. I had some issues around the 1.120 mark. I didn't want to shove them down into the case with out first working up the loads. I may have to. But, the 5 dummy rounds all chambered. For jacketed bullets I usually seat 1.145 -1.150

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast