Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: million too one

Boolit Master

million too one

Had a few under loaded rounds down the range ( first time in 35 years) any way checked barrel clear after every shot ,one round didn't clear the barrel in my trapper .boolits was stuck in the end of barrel with nose only poking out ! Should have taken a pic but was more concerned with removing it .but I was able to check bore diameter with that one .355" .just don't think it won't happen to you.

Boolit Grand Master

Looking down the bore or a cleaning rod. About 400,000 loaded and I have not stuck on yet.

Boolit Master
    Looked down the bore with a torch/flash light in the breech,couldn't face using a kenetic hammer to pull them all only one stuck in the bore the rest hit the target board at 25 yards,some bounced off and fell on the concrete about two foot in front of the board.

Boolit Master
    Been there, done that...

Years ago, I got my first Lee Pro1000, progressive loading press, and I had just gotten a .40 S&W conversion for my Witness 10mm.
    My reloading mentor did ALL of his handgun reloads on a progressive, so I figured "no problem!"
    I loaded 300 rounds on the Lee, once I got it adjusted, and started out weighing every tenth powder drop. After the first 100, I went to every twentieth, and then just here and there... never had one that didn't weigh within a tenth of my set powder charge.
    Went to the range the next day, and everything went fine for the first 3 or 4 mags - then "poot" --- what the heck was that?? Didn't cycle the slide, so I popped the slide off and looked in the barrel - there it was, almost to the muzzle, but not quite.
    Cleared it and put everything back together. Half a dozen rounds more, and another "pop". This one hit the backstop and bounced off, making it halfway back to where we were standing. All told, we had about 25 or so that either bounced off the back stop, or required disassembling the gun to clear. And by the time I had fired all 300, both of us were laughing so hard, we could hardly breathe.
    Researching the issue has me convinced that the powder slide/drop from Lee, was not returning all of the way to pick up a full charge of powder - thus the duds and poofs. The fact that I never caught it was a combination of inexperience, lax attitude, and just bad luck. So very fortunate that it wasn't a revolver, or that it didn't cycle the slide.
    I've since fixed the powder slide/drop with a positive return chain, and I am much more respectful of the process!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    Don't know what went wrong ,use loading tray and lamp to check powder in each case .got a horrible feeling I set the scale weight at 2.5 grains not 7.5 grains doh .got 50 more I loaded at the same time ,glad I label each box with load and date .try them next week.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    Looked down the bore with a torch/flash light in the breech,couldn't face using a kenetic hammer to pull them all only one stuck in the bore the rest hit the target board at 25 yards,some bounced off and fell on the concrete about two foot in front of the board.
    i got about 40,000 second hand reloads....i was over 4 months with a kinetic hammer!
    busted 7 or 8 caps for the hammer during the experience.
    i'm just now coming near the end of all the pulled primers...burned the powder cuz i didn't know what it was
    recycled the lead and j words.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Looking down the bore or a cleaning rod. About 400,000 loaded and I have not stuck on yet.
    Apparently, you have never had a powder measure malfunction.

I had one do it intermittently, one time. I always checked every 10th round for correct powder charge, while loading on the Dillon. Got to the range one day and I was getting light recoil and report among the normal rounds. Then, I got a primer only round...I knew it when it happened....checked the barrel and it had stuck the bullet. So, I stopped and pulled the remaining bullets...charges varied from no powder, all the way up to the desired charge weight. It is just very ironic that every single time that I checked...the powder charge was within tolerance. Anyway, the powder measure was making a mess and potentially hazardous situation...and never gave any indication that it was doing it. Never figured out what caused it...but it did make me change my frequency of checking, to every 5th round.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    Don't know what went wrong ,use loading tray and lamp to check powder in each case .got a horrible feeling I set the scale weight at 2.5 grains not 7.5 grains doh .got 50 more I loaded at the same time ,glad I label each box with load and date .try them next week.
    Never use a loading block...accident waiting to happen. Charge the case and seat bullet...never let the charged case leave your hand until bullet is seated.

I almost had a disaster using a beam scale when I had the beam weight on the incorrect mark...so now I use a digital scale. I check the digital scale with a check weight before using it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Apparently, you have never had a powder measure malfunction.

95% of my loading is done on Dillon 650's, a RL 1000 or 1050's. Every one has a powder cop installed. Properly adjusted the Dillon powder cops are very sensitive.

On a single station everything is done on loading blocks and visually inspected. Every one of my Dillon measures/funnels has been polished and tapered. With the mods they drop more consistent than my Harrell or my Jones.

Dillon measures usually will have issues with inconsistent powder charges with extruded powders until you increase the taper in the powder tube and polish them.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...provement_Modi

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=154783

http://www.ericwesselman.com/DillonPowderMeasure/

http://www.shootersforum.com/handloa...-opinions.html

http://reloaderchoice.com/showthread.php?t=76

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296...e_Accuracy.pdf go to tip 15

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...2&#entry476442

http://www.triggerctrl.com/articles/...ting-the-xl650
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-20-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Perma-Banned

95% of my loading is done on Dillon 650's, a RL 1000 or 1050's. Every one has a powder cop installed. Properly adjusted the Dillon powder cops are very sensitive.

On a single station everything is done on loading blocks and visually inspected. Every one of my Dillon measures/funnels has been polished and tapered. With the mods they drop more consistent than my Harrell or my Jones.

Dillon measures usually will have issues with inconsistent powder charges with extruded powders until you increase the taper in the powder tube
    There was something unique to this loading session...what, I am not sure...I do know that I have checked it closely for the years since and it has never done it again. I have the Dillons setup so that I can visually inspect the powder charge...I never put a bullet on a charge that I have not looked at...and the same practice is exercised with any reloading of any type on any press, now.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 02-20-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Odd stuff happens. When the powder cops first came out I wasn't interested and used one on a limited bases and I was not overly impressed, however, the more I used them the more impressed I became. With ball power in 223 I set them to alarm are 0.2 plus or minus a grain. I get some false alarms due to mixed headstamp case volume but I check weight at set-up or when something odd happens. That may be every couple of thousand rounds. I check the last one off the press. Other than single station I will not run a progressive with a powder check.

No matter how well I sort 9 MM I seem to miss one or two of those stupid cases with the ridge in them. The powder cop always alarms on them.

Perma-Banned

Odd stuff happens. When the powder cops first came out I wasn't interested and used one on a limited bases and I was not overly impressed, however, the more I used them the more impressed I became. With ball power in 223 I set them to alarm are 0.2 plus or minus a grain. I get some false alarms due to mixed headstamp case volume but I check weight at set-up or when something odd happens. That may be every couple of thousand rounds. I check the last one off the press. Other than single station I will not run a progressive with a powder check.

No matter how well I sort 9 MM I seem to miss one or two of those stupid cases with the ridge in them. The powder cop always alarms on them.
    Depending on the amount that I am loading...the Lockout die works well...but, as you know, you have to set it up for each load...and I tend to load a lot of small lots with varying charges. Not having the extra hole in the toolhead makes it kind of a pain.

Boolit Master
    The odd cock ups happen but the boolits half out of the barrel was a million too one ,never heard of that happening very often.going to check my beam scale against my electric one again to see if that was the problem but I expect it was me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    i got about 40,000 second hand reloads....i was over 4 months with a kinetic hammer!
    busted 7 or 8 caps for the hammer during the experience.
    i'm just now coming near the end of all the pulled primers...burned the powder cuz i didn't know what it was
    recycled the lead and j words.
    You can use a shell holder in a pinch. ( instead of the cap )

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    You can use a shell holder in a pinch. ( instead of the cap )
    do you mean instead of the collet that comes with the hammer?
    i like to use the collet ...and i am aware that you can replace the collet with a shell holder...but what i broke was the retaining cap that screws onto the hammer head....sometimes they just explode!

little pieces of blue plastic everywhere!

Boolit Buddy

I have had this happen to me 3 or 4 times and has always occurred when shooting old ammo that I had acquired
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com