MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
PBcastco Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas check making

Boolit Master

GrayTech thanks for the suggestion of placing the aluminum strips into my melted lead at a future casting session. I have seen threads here that anneal the finished gas checks by putting them into a steel pipe nipple with caps on each end. If I understand the technique it should also work with aluminum strips. Probably not too efficient since limited to the amount of aluminum strips in the pipe. I feel pretty dumb even asking this question, but I wonder if the temperature were kept below the melting point of aluminum if it would work to put the aluminum roll directly into the melted lead? Has anyone tried this ? Thanks again for the thought.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

I've used soda cans but now get my foil from http://www.coilandfoil.com/

for some reason the preparing of the soda can is not 'fun' for me so I am happy to buy the rolls and go from there
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    You fellows having problems with hard aluminum need to anneal the stuff. Heat it a little with a torc, gas burner or even an electric plate. Tain't rocket science.
    After I cut my strips, I keep them in a peanut butter jar. When I do some casting, I pass a handful, one at a time under the surface of the lead. I wipe any residual lead off with my insulated glove and set them aside. When I clean up after casting, I rub the strips one final time through a folded over, oily rag. This ensures they will go through the cutting punch with ease.
    The annealed strips are then placed in another peanut butter jar, labelled as such.
    Last edited by grullaguy; 03-03-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    I just put a 7/8x18 bolt in the top of my hollywood press and use it like an arbor press. I need to make a bottom holder like has been posted so I don't have to pour out the checks in the bottom.

Boolit Master

grullaguy thanks for your informative post on annealing the aluminum strips. I was wanting to check with you regarding the time in the melt for annealing. I tried the process this afternoon and placed the aluminum in the lead for a 15 count. It seemed to be somewhat softer but not significantly. About how long would you suggest the strips stay in the lead to get maximum annealing? Thanks a lot for your help.
    Stan
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    grullaguy thanks for your informative post on annealing the aluminum strips. I was wanting to check with you regarding the time in the melt for annealing. I tried the process this afternoon and placed the aluminum in the lead for a 15 count. It seemed to be somewhat softer but not significantly. About how long would you suggest the strips stay in the lead to get maximum annealing? Thanks a lot for your help.
    Stan
    With the aluminum that I have, a 15 count is just about perfect. I do notice harder spots on the ends though, due to having to feed in one end and then the other. The center of the strip gets double dipped and seems softer. I think you will find your own method with some more experimentation. I notice that the strips sound different after annealing when dropped on a hard surface. Good luck!

Boolit Mold
    Im just getting started in casting my own 9mm luger and i plan on powder coating the bullet do i have to still install a gas check? If so were can i buy a gas check maker

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deputypaul1 View Post
    Im just getting started in casting my own 9mm luger and i plan on powder coating the bullet do i have to still install a gas check? If so were can i buy a gas check maker

I have been powder coating 9mm for years, so I would save the money and use a non GC mold. If you have a GC mold and do not use gas checks then it is going to effect accuracy. As far as velocity I have fired PC rifle bullets at 3500 fps with no leading so at 9mm velocities you don't have anything to worry about, assuming you have done a proper job in coating the bullets.

Boolit Master

If your mold is not a GC mold, you won't be able to use them. Also, unless you will be shooting many, many GC in that caliber.. it may be cheaper to buy pre made ones, then make your own.

Boolit Master
    Just get a 7/8-18 bolt screw it into the head of your single stage press. Get more fancy and make one of the shell holder FCIII holders. No arbor press needed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Just get a 7/8-18 bolt screw it into the head of your single stage press.
    He COULD maybee do that.. but it will ruin his press.

If going that direction.. I'd suggest 7/8-14 bolt.. otherwise he'll need a thread repair tap.

Boolit Grand Master

Doubt you will need them for 9mm. There might be some Freechex available on GunBroker. Otherwise your only other option to buy one is from Pat Marlin. Lots of specs out there to make your own if you wanted to.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you

Banned

The SAAMI pressure limit for the 9×19mm Parabellum is set at 241.32 MPa (35,001 psi) piezo pressure.[21]
    The SAAMI pressure limit for the 9×19mm Parabellum +P is set at 265.45 MPa (38,500 psi) piezo pressure.

At these pressure levels you can get by naked, but I like a gas check on all my 9mm Luger ammunition
    Personal preference

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Doubt you will need them for 9mm. There might be some Freechex available on GunBroker. Otherwise your only other option to buy one is from Pat Marlin. Lots of specs out there to make your own if you wanted to.
    I would suggest you call Charlie and see if he has some in stock.

Boolit Master

From my understanding, Charlie is trying to sell his business and basically is not selling his FreeChex anymore, he wants to get out of the business but stay on as a consultant
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Ogre View Post
    From my understanding, Charlie is trying to sell his business and basically is not selling his FreeChex anymore, he wants to get out of the business but stay on as a consultant
    I bought one this week from him for .30 cal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Ogre View Post
    Charlie has been laid up from hip surgery since he took a bad fall, so I doubt he will be very active in the shop for a while. But if you have a need give him a call as he may have something in stock. Somehow he seems to make it happen.

In Remembrance
    Charlie has some dies ready to finish processing. Soon as he gets on his feet he will get them ready. He had a few available send him a PM.

Boolit Bub
    Two tips for using the checkmaker.

1. When making disks, cup your hand over the checkmaker. Those disks will FLY, and they fiy right into the Geezer Zone (too close for your main lens, and too far for your biforcal lens.)

2. Use a stiff piece of nylon string (from a string trimmer) to be sure the disks are bottomed out in the forming die.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast