Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 Winchester to .22-250 Remington

Banned

.243 Winchester to .22-250 Remington

Ok guys, I just posted in another thread about the knowledgeable people here so here goes. Is it possible to re-form 243 Winchester cases down to 22-250 Remington brass? If so, how difficult is it to accomplish? I can't afford much equipment, so I'd be interested in the least expensive methods.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Boolit Master
    I will do this maybe later tonite...in case no one has...Which, I'm betting someone has...
    Can't be much to it...probably have to either ream, or Turn, the necks...But...Not always..

Boolit Buddy
    PM to tankgunner59 on way.

Perma-Banned
    why ? just buy 22-250 brass.

Banned

I know it's available, I was just wondering because I don't find much 22-250 brass at the 3 ranges in my area, but I do find 243. I could buy it, but being on SSDI we have very limited resources. My wife and I support my sister who has COPD and no other means of support, so our finances are stretched thin. I'm not being cheap, just trying to use all possible resources. I have some 22-250 brass but if I can make some from 243 brass I find on the range I get some brass and spend time with a new part of my hobby.

Banned
    Maybe you could trade for some.

Boolit Master
    Here's a thread on another forum that discusses this very subject. Sems like one or more posters have actually done this without special tooling: http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=22520
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

It can be done, the full length 243 necked 2 22 cal is the 22 cheetah if I remember correctly. Forming down to 22-250 will have at least part of the neck formed from the shoulder of the 243 case if not all of it. This may result in a thick neck requiring neck reaming or turning possibly both. The other issue will be on the reformed case is case capacity my be less. It may take passes thru a couple dies to push shoulder back and form the new neck correctly.

Boolit Master
    We just did this about 10 threads down only it was forming 22-250 from .308.

If you have 22-250 dies try to form a couple of the worst cases and then you will learn quite a bit.
    You might have to turn the necks.

I would guess that a RCBS 22-250 trim die and a neck turning tool would be all you would need.

If you had to you could borrow a neck turning tool and do without the trim die.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-308-SURPRISE!
    EDG

Banned

Thanks to everyone who replied, so much info here. I read the post you referred to EDG. That is actually why I posted this thread, I have a small amount of 243 and thought I'd like to check out re-forming them.
    Thanks for the link nicholst55, a lot of good info there. This is the main reason I am a member of this forum. I can almost always find answers to any reloading questions here. Thanks again to everybody.
    Thank you to edctexas for your help, very appreciated, and to rockrat!
    Last edited by tankgunner59; 02-26-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tankgunner59, PM me your address and I will send you some 243 brass I had trimmed to 22-250 length to make 6.5 creedmoor, You can play with those. They have been opened up to 6.5mm but shouldn't be much trouble to go back down.

Perma-Banned
    For the price of all the form, ream and trim dies, ($200-300), the OP could buy 50 22-250 cases ($25.00) and a set of Lee RGB dies ($20.00) with enough left over for several cases of "Blue".

Banned

6bg6ga and richmanpoorman, I know it's I could buy it or trade for it, but money is tight and I put my extra brass up for sale and trade from time to time, and don't get many takers. This for me is planned for a long term project. Any tools I may need I will collect as I can. I'm on a few different forums that have sub-forums for reloading, and I watch for tools I need that I can get for a good deal or for trade. I do have some factory 22-250 Rem cartridges on hand that I bought before my disability and shoot once in awhile. This is just a new side of the hobby and I plan to take my time, follow the advice I get here and elsewhere and do it right. Thanks a lot for your input, I certainly appreciate it.

Banned

Thanks for all of the help guys. With all of your and the 243 brass from rockrat and some stuff from edctexas, I made two today and more to come tomorrow.
    Thanks again to all who replied and helped. I don't have much but I will try to send the blessings along as soon as I can.

In Remembrance

I have made 22-250 from 243 just to experiment. I simply ran it through the 22-250 die and then trimmed, turned the necks and post annealed the necks. An inside neck reamer makes the easiest way to thin the necks.

Banned

6bg6ga, I have traded for some but nobody is looking to trade for the brass I had. Problem solved with much appreciated help from a few on members here. Now the only caliber I load for that I will be looking for is 7.62x54R, and I have found many people looking for it and very few wanting to trade it.

DLCTEX, I have ran several 243's through a 22-250 die and have now learned how it's done. In the thread in the link posted by nicholst55 earlier, one of the posters advises a neck wall thickness of .0012 - .0015, all of my reformed brass so far is measuring within those measurements.

Boolit Mold
    I would suggest that you acquire a headspace gauge when you reform your brass to make sure that you do not resize too much.
    Sam

Boolit Grand Master
    To the O/P--if you have a case trimmer, they often can be fitted with a neck reamer in the event of need. My Forster trimmer has this ability.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

Well guys, I reformed some 243 cases and they came out pretty well. I didn't try neck turning as the neck thickness is .0012 to .0015, I had one that was .0016. Then I read up on annealing since I had never done it, and annealed 20 pieces and loaded and shot them. Several were a little sticky going into the chamber so I decided I'd better hold off loading any more yet. I'll have to get the money together to buy a neck turning tool and a .224 pilot. All in all it went better than I thought it would. Just wanted to give an update here after getting soooooo much help from those here who know. Thanks so much to all for the help I have gotten, I hope I can help someone else as much.

Boolit Master
    Not really nit picking but you have too many decimal places in you neck wall thickness. .0012 to .0016 is about 1/2 the thickness of a human hair.

It would probably be much easier to make them from 250-3000 casings. Yeah now I'm being a smarta$$.

Motor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast