Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .243 Winchester to .22-250 Remington

Banned

Yeah well I never said I was perfect, on the other hand I probably would have made the same comment. My case necks are 0.012 - 0.016 so as soon as I can put the money together I'll be getting a case neck turning set up. But, I can make do with the 22-250 cases I have now till I get the neck turner. Thanks for bringing this up Motor, I did check it out.

If you send me your info I will send you a bag of 100 pcs of 22-250 brand new to get you started, free of charge and I will pay for the shipping

Got Brass

Banned

Thanks jrdztech, you guy's on this forum are great. PM sent.

You are welcome Sir. Pm received.

Got Brass

Banned

Well, I loaded ten of the reformed 243 cases and took them to the range not all would chamber, the ones that did were pretty tight. A good friend had a neck turning set up and I used it to turn the necks. I checked my reloading manuals, spec for 22-250 outside case neck diameter is .254, and the ones I have neck turned so far are right at .254.
    My wife and I went to Rutledge flea market last weekend in Missouri. It's the largest flea market in the midwest. There I found a micrometer that goes 0.0 to 1 inch, I used it to check my caliper reading and it was the same, .254 so I'm good. Just have to check them in my chamber.

Boolit Grand Master

You should be good to go if you've turned them to .254 loaded dia. A little trick is to fit them. bench rester's and accuracy buffs may specify a .252 neck dia then turn to .251 loaded dia to have a close fit that still can release the bullet. You could make a chamber cast for the neck dia and turn .001 under it for the same effect

Boolit Master
    About the cases that are hard to chamber. I had this problem when I first started reloading and never understood it for years.
    I started reloading with a C press and had quite a few cases that chambered hard. Later I bought a Rockchucker and the hard chambering mostly went away.

When you form a case size it slowly and let it dwell at the top of the ram stroke for 3 to 4 seconds.
    Then retract the ram about 1/2 inch, reach in and spin the case about 120 degrees (1/3 of turn) and slowly size it again with the 3 to 4 second dwell at the top of the stroke.
    Repeat the case spin of 120 degrees and then size slowly with the dwell for 3 to 4 seconds. This extra time and care at forming will insure that every case is formed with the same exact head to shoulder length. The extra pressure of forming a case sometimes causes a temporary stretch of the press frame. When you hit the case the second and 3rd times the press pretty much finishes off the forming process. You will not have the variations in chambering. They will all be the same. If one chambers they will all chamber. It is best to check though before you prime the cases so you can size again if they will not fit.

Quote Originally Posted by tankgunner59 View Post
    Well, I loaded ten of the reformed 243 cases and took them to the range not all would chamber, the ones that did were pretty tight. A good friend had a neck turning set up and I used it to turn the necks. I checked my reloading manuals, spec for 22-250 outside case neck diameter is .254, and the ones I have neck turned so far are right at .254.
    My wife and I went to Rutledge flea market last weekend in Missouri. It's the largest flea market in the midwest. There I found a micrometer that goes 0.0 to 1 inch, I used it to check my caliper reading and it was the same, .254 so I'm good. Just have to check them in my chamber.
    EDG

Banned

Thanks, EDG, I thought that this process might be best, but I decided to turn them about 90 degrees and I hit them 4 times total. And I let them dwell a few seconds on each stroke. It helped a lot, plus I thought I would take them down to .253 instead of the .254 spec. Then I'm going to load a few dummie rounds and check the fit. ( No primer or powder.) I think that'll tell me where I stand. If they chamber as easily as a factory round, I'll pull the bullets and fully load them and see how they function. A lot of trial and error but I love to do this kind of work. Thanks for the idea country gent.
    I am truly blessed with friends, both here on the forum and at home. I would be way behind where I am without them, thanks to all.

Boolit Master
    Any savings made by sizing those cases down will be offset by loss due to collapsed shoulders and the cost of good neck turning equip.

Banned

MT, I'm not doing this so much for money savings. I had a little 243 brass laying around and wanted to know how to reform brass. I was the recipient of more than info from the good people here. Mainly it's another facet of my hobby, and if I need it I know how to do it. By the way, haven't had any collapsed shoulders.

Boolit Master
    I don't think so. If you have a die to push the shoulder back like a .250 Savage die all that happens is you get formed brass.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Any savings made by sizing those cases down will be offset by loss due to collapsed shoulders and the cost of good neck turning equip.
    EDG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12