Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Considering glock 19 few questions

I carry a G19 every day. It's the framing hammer of handguns. Nothing to look at. Not much to be OVERLY proud of. BUT, they work....every time. I like mine for that reason. I work outside and if I scratch my Glock....how would I know? It was ugly when I bought it. It's still ugly. BUT, I take decent care of it and clean it a couple times a year. I'm well past the 5K round mark and I can't tell the gun acts any different than when I bought it. 100% function. Hits the target when I do what I am supposed to do.
    I wouldn't be parted with it.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Well we tried out the glock today. Yep, shoots like a glock. I like it a lot. My gf was doing well with it too. Much better than with her new subcompact Taurus. Well, it cost over 2x as much so it should shoot better. I'm quite sure all this grip angle talk is poppycock. Point the weapon and shoot it. Seems easy enough to me and my hands agree with the flat sided grip. It may actually be what a hindering my 1911 shooting, the g10 grips give the frame an oval profile.

Anyway I was expecting a true polygon barrel which I know I've seen, but this barrel looked different to me. any thoughts? Tried to get a good shot.

Of course my LGS dude warned me that you can't shoot lead in them. I informed him that I'll be shooting only lead in it lol. Some people you just can't reach.

So so nice to have a pistol that holds 16, small and LIGHT! The 9 really has a nice manageable recoil yet puts an impressive hurt on the steels and mud opponents we were facing.

The mag mag release may need to get extended however. Its darn hard to get it to drop a mag out. I'm really trying hard to leave this thing bone stock though. We will see how long I can hold off on that lol.
    All of the factory Glock barrels are like that, I learned not to discuss it with Glock fanbois. But no it is not a poly barrel in the sense of other poly barrels, it has lands, but they are rounded lands.

As far as grip angle, and the flat sides some people like them, some don't. I can shoot them, they are not my favorite though. My wife though hates her Glock, she will carry anything but her Glock 22. Mostly it is my Colt Police Positive circa 1911 in 32-20. She also likes my Star Super A circa 1947, but that is usually on my hip.

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Is it a Gen 3 or Gen 4 ? . I think that's a really cool pic of the rifling !
    Can't say if it's polygonal, but that is what Glock says their barrels are . ?????
    You are being watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    Is it a Gen 3 or Gen 4 ? . I think that's a really cool pic of the rifling !
    Can't say if it's polygonal, but that is what Glock says their barrels are . ?????
    gen3. Not sure why they are last gen but they must still be making them?

Boolit Master

I had a friend purchase a gen3 glock 19 today. We shot it with 115 fmj's and some 147gr PC cast I had loaded up with AA#7. It shot very well with both. I still prefer my XD Subcompact mod2.

Boolit Buddy
    I see you escaped from your hi-jacked thread. What kind of lead are you planning on shooting, Hi-Tek coated, powder coated or regular?

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    All of the factory Glock barrels are like that. But no it is not a poly barrel in the sense of other poly barrels, it has lands, but they are rounded lands.
    Exactly so and I don't know who decided to call those barrels Polygonal. True Polygonal looks like a pentagon with heavily rounded corners.

My CZ82's have these, but the British actually came up with the idea to combat powder fouling just before 1900. I have seen and held a real nice H&H Double Rifle in 500 NE, that had Polygonal Rifling. It was built around 1910, and was shown to me as a result of me thinking the concept was new, when I saw a HK P9S with Poly rifling in 1976 at the same gun shop.

Not much new in the gun world.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Yup. They still make the Gen 3 . There are some things , or at least 1 thing I don't like with the Gen 4. The mag release. For me , it's too big. Even the Gen 3 mag release is too big. For me. No way no how should the mag be able to be accidentally dumped. I'm thinking about trimming the mag release button on mine down. Having to do a tactical reload isn't something that is an issue with me. It may be cool for fun and games , and I'm not saying I would want the factory to change it. I really liked the mag release on the S&W Sigma's I had. Had to reach around and press it with my finger. No accidental mag drops with those guns.
    Last thing I knew , the Georgia plant was making Gen 3s. Which is nice because it saves money on paying tariff. Tho my G20 was made in Austria. Being a SF model. It fits my hand.
    You are being watched.

Boolit Grand Master
    Had two 19's. Had to sell because of finances. Still have my 17 and it's a dinger. Very accurate. Fast, easy, reliable and easy to drill out the center of the bull. Did put fiber optic sights on it and improved it's all around utility.

Powder coated bullets is the plan in my new electric apartment oven range thing I got installed in the shop recently.

I have been doing them in a broaster and refining my technique with some success.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I'm quite sure all this grip angle talk is poppycock. I keep saying that!

Of course my LGS dude warned me that you can't shoot lead in them. I informed him that I'll be shooting only lead in it lol. Some people you just can't reach. He was probably a "Certified Glock Armorer" it takes a 4 hour course to become one. No shooting experience required.

The mag mag release may need to get extended however. Its darn hard to get it to drop a mag out. I'm really trying hard to leave this thing bone stock though. We will see how long I can hold off on that lol.
    Drew: Get a mag release that has a button on the end as they work much better. Also get a Glock 34/35 Slide Catch which works the best also.

Lastly trim the Trigger Safety back until it is flush with the front face of the trigger shoe when depressed. It makes the gun much more comfortable to shoot a lot with.

Blade-Tech Kydex Holster.

Good Glocking.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Drew: Get a mag release that has a button on the end as they work much better. Also get a Glock 34/35 Slide Catch which works the best also.

Lastly trim the Trigger Safety back until it is flush with the front face of the trigger shoe when depressed. It makes the gun much more comfortable to shoot a lot with.

Blade-Tech Kydex Holster.

Good Glocking.

Randy
    Thanks for the tips, I may try them later. For now I want to *attempt* to keep this thing stock. We'll see how long that lasts

So, reading up on cast load horror stories on glocks I'm left scratching my head a little. Why would they be more susceptible to kaboom than other designs? The materials and craftmanship seem to be very robust, and the semi-polygonal rifling (which appears to me to be not polygonal at all, more like rounded-groove) doesn't in my mind present enough of an answer alone. Mr fortunecookie45 proposed in a video that the reason is nothing to do with the rifling or barrel at all but rather the looseness of the chamber and possibly the short abrupt leade.
    I dunno. In any case it seems like people are having luck loading for them despite the grave warnings. I'd really rather leave the stock barrel and try everything I can first, as long as it's safe to do so.
    SO, I did some measuring based on what he said when he demonstrated a case being loose in chamber. First I tried using calipers to measure the width of chamber but being so tapered it didn't provide a good result. So, I plunked a new unfired blazer brass cart in the chamber and measured the side-side play of it at the rim. I'm getting .0055" side play in the cartridge. I also pounded a boolit down the bore to see what it measures and it came up .3550-.3555" ish on my caliper. Didn't dig out the micrometer yet because i like my caliper but I could if we need to.

Do do these numbers seem about typical for a glock 19?
    My mold is dropping .358" and I'm powder coating. So, my sizing die may need to be .357" or .358" for good fit.
    Last edited by Drew P; 03-08-2017 at 01:08 PM.

IMO most of the Glock kabooms are the result of bullet setback. It seemed to happen more often with police, who are constantly unloading their guns. Other factors are the early 40S&W cases were not robust enough, chamber unsupported. Most of the kabooms I heard about were with factory ammo, and not reloads. Glocks also have been known to still fire when not completely in battery, 'perfection'.

On the early .40 S&W cases the Web of the case didn't extend up the side of the case far enough to reinforce the area where the feed ramp intersected the chamber. That little area is where the Glock Bulge occurred. I might add that that problem was not isolated to Glocks. I had a CZ 40P that had the same chamber dimensions as a Glock, and also a Para 16/40 that the chamber was looser than either of those..

Latter Cartridge brass had the web going up further on the sides of the case to reinforce this area.

I have found 2 blown 40S&W cases, Both Federals and having the headstamps "FC" and "FC-10" I found about 10 more of these after inspecting all my brass. these were very early cases and Pretty much all .40 S&W brass not has been strengthened.

Needless to say,,, don't reload any of those.

This Glock Bulge problem doesn't exist on the 9mm's because the cases are proportionally stronger than the .40's.

Glocks are more about reliability than guilt edge accuracy. My Storm Lake barrel caused malfunctions so often I removed it and it is in the bottom of my G35 range bag. Should have sent it back but never got around to it.
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-08-2017 at 02:20 PM.

I put a Lone Wolf barrel in my 10. The amount of chamber slop was cut in half . With the OEM barrel there was always a good size guppy belly. With the LW barrel . it is very minor and , the button rifled barrel works great with cast boolits.
    You are being watched.

Drew, I figured I would wait to comment until you got your 19 and shot it a bit. The G-4 19 is a more real life gun fighter friendly 19, unless you have very big hands. You can adjust the back-strap thickness so the mag release falls at the perfect point for a single hand, no change of grip, mag release. I have built several custom Glock 19s for our Special Ops folks both with and without cut rifled match barrels. The factory barrel is just about step for step right with a match barrel, cast or jacketed bullets. The major improvement in the trigger pull is switching the safety plunger out for a titanium plunger. The replacement of the trigger with a Ghost Maker Razor at 3 pounds does not hurt. I happen to like adjustable combat steel sights on all of my guns, so the plastic sights go into the trash. I also like the grip hollow filler to make the tinker toy look like a real gun butt in the holster. I also get my 19s comped with an EDM machine through the slide on each side of the front sight.

You can get a 19 to jam, it just takes intent and a bit of work. It took me 750 rounds to figure out how to jam one. No back strap pressure, thumb and first finger side grip, pull trigger with middle finger. It will jam, but not like a 1911. The loaded round goes under the empty, wedging the empty in the chamber. It takes a bit of time to clear. Last Spl Ops troop wanted his custom 19 to not jam were he wounded, any pressure on the back-strap at all and it will shoot a full mag.

The 4 has one major flaw, the recoil spring keeper ring on the front of the slide was reduced by almost 50% in thickness to accommodate the double spring and can bend or break if dropped on the nose. This is one of my custom Spl Ops 19s.
    Ed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glock 19 top w port.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	190021
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Great info thank you! Of course this is a gen3 so a lot of that isn't applicable. Also I have XL hands. Good to know about the barrels. Glad the bulge issue is more .40 than 9. I'd love new sights but I am really attempting to run this one bone stock, but let's be honest that won't last. I really like hiviz fiber op type sights so if I break down I may try those.
    Last edited by Drew P; 03-08-2017 at 08:43 PM.

So since hornady powder expander are geared more toward jackets I decided to get creative and purchased a .400 expander in hopes that I can turn it down to a more
    acceptable profile for lead. I'm thinking I'll extend the inserted length and also make a small M step type thing since that seems to be all the rage. They didn't give me much wall to work with but I think it's enough. If I need to neck down the inside I can always braze in a smaller tube o suppose. Anyone done this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5960.jpg  

Aright! This might just work! turned down to .359" with a step that's .365"
    It's tool steel so it didn't want to cut, but the carbide won in this case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3697.jpg  
    Last edited by Drew P; 03-08-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast