Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Considering glock 19 few questions

Considering glock 19 few questions

So I don't have a double stack hand gun right now. Never wanted a glock but boy, my opinion has changed over the years and now I'm considering one to fill that hoe in my life. I also have been doing some 3-gun comps and been using my lovely 1911 45acp which is great, but my competitors are mostly using 9mm which gives them twice the capacity. So, it's a hinderance on the course. UNLESS there are plates that need flipping or spinning. Then the 45 is a huge advantage with the weight of the bullet. So what I'm wondering is if there are any heavy loads for 9mm that could be easily swapped into a glock if the stage calls for plate spinning. Otherwise regular loads are fine for paper. Maybe even SWC or something.

So, I guess my questions are is a glock19 a good choice for competition and is it possible to get a considerably heavier bullet to fly well from them?

Boolit Master

I'm not a Glock fan. I don't shoot them well, the grip angle sucks IMHO, and the grip feels like a 2x4 in my hand.

Look at a S&W M&P or a Springfield Armory XD series. The XD pistols have very close to the same grip angle as the 1911 and the grip feels much more natural to me. You can load some 147 gr or so bullets in the nine for heavy stuff.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master
    If the guys shooting 9's are kicking your butt, there are two reasons...either the 9 mm is better suited for the course of fire and/or they are better shooters

I shoot Glocks, used to only shoot 1911's. The Glocks will never be as accurate but sometimes ultimate accuracy is not as important.
    Don Verna

Like my 19. I can't speak to what is needed for the plates, but 9mm ammo is very reasonably priced in my area. IMO no need to chase the empties and bother with reloading. Enables me to shoot often enough to be comfortable with the pistol.
    Last edited by Sam Casey; 02-25-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Not a Glock fan at all and even less of a fan of the Gen 4. I still have 3 Glocks in 9mm, in fact, currently I daily carry a 19. Love'em or Hate'em, they simply do what they are suppose to do and do it well.
    I was around when Glock started in America, marketing genius, but that has nothing to do with your question. They are reliable, durable, simple, economical and due to popularity there is a lot of aftermarket customizations available.
    Borrow one, rent one, whatever, shoot one and make your own decision.

BF
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

I have shot them that's what brought me around to the trigger feel.

I like a 2x4 feel on a gun, I have very large hands. I know they are a little different but I feel like I can get used to them. I once owned a double stack 1911 and it fit my hand very well and shot ve well, but, it was jammy so it made a one way trip back to Springfield and was replaced with a nicer single stack (free of charge ) which never has fit my hand as well. I also think the glock trigger system lends well to competition use, ATM least at my novice levels.

BUY AMMO? I don't understand this comment. I'm actually making more ammo than I can shoot these days so I need more ways to dispose of it.

The guys shooting 9 aren't necessarily kicking my butt, but they for sure are doing less mag changes which can make all the difference in the world. I actually do pretty well with my 45, but 10 rnds is a lot less than 22 in one mag. And maybe my mag changing isn't what it should be.

147gr sounds like it's getting into plate flipper territory. What powders will I be loving for that load? I'll probably be starting with my mp mold which actually drops 130gr so not the smallest either.

Boolit Buddy

Drew, if memory serves me correctly, plates were originally designed to fall with a 38 Spl center hit. Needless to say that in not necessarily a standard by any means but it was a good starting place. If that is in fact correct, a 147 or your 130 grn bullet should have no problems. There are too many reloaders with far more experience with 9mm than me to recommend a powder. (but I at least kept your post at the top for a few more minutes)

BF
    Last edited by Butler Ford; 02-25-2017 at 07:16 PM. Reason: grammer
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Master
    I switched from a Para P-14 to a Glock several years ago. Can you say "thirty-one round magazines..."? Never a failure to feed or eject. I shoot the 147gr FP.

Boolit Bub
    I've ran my 19 in idpa with great results. I use 147gr pc boolits sized .358 over 3.0gr of titegroup and I can stack 10rds in one jagged hole at 10yds. Poa = poi out of my 19 and my 34.

Boolit Master

I love my Glock 19s. I have carried one every day for over 20 years. However, if concealed carry is not an issue, I would get a Model 17 or 34, for longer barrel and larger mag capacity. Someone mentioned M&P 9, never a bad choice and less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Ford View Post
    Drew, if memory serves me correctly, plates were originally designed to fall with a 38 Spl center hit. Needless to say that in not necessarily a standard by any means but it was a good starting place. If that is in fact correct, a 147 or your 130 grn bullet should have no problems. There are too many reloaders with far more experience with 9mm than me to recommend a powder. (but I at least kept your post at the top for a few more minutes)

BF
    some of these targets are like pinwheels you spin or hanging plates that you have to flip all the way round the shaft and it's very challenging. Even with my 45 I have to time multiple shots to get the needed results.

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    I love my Glock 19s. I have carried one every day for over 20 years. However, if concealed carry is not an issue, I would get a Model 17 or 34, for longer barrel and larger mag capacity. Someone mentioned M&P 9, never a bad choice and less expensive.
    Yeah concealment really not needed as I don't carry much. But, I also don't have a proper carry piece either. Just a pocket rocket and the bitchen revolver <pictured < So, it would see some double duty as well shooting/ training.

Boolit Master
    AA#& and 147 gr bullet will get them plates spinning and falling over.

Quote Originally Posted by bigolsmokebomb View Post
    I've ran my 19 in idpa with great results. I use 147gr pc boolits sized .358 over 3.0gr of titegroup and I can stack 10rds in one jagged hole at 10yds. Poa = poi out of my 19 and my 34.
    Awesome info thanks! Maybe title group is even available now.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    AA#& and 147 gr bullet will get them plates spinning and falling over.
    Aa#&?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Awesome info thanks! Maybe title group is even available now.
    I see titegroup every time I go to cabelas. Its always on the shelf in quantity.

Boolit Bub
    AA#7

he had cap lock on and the ampersand is what prints when you hit 7

Boolit Master
    So I don't have a double stack hand gun right now. Never wanted a glock but boy, my opinion has changed over the years and now I'm considering one to fill that hoe in my life. I also have been doing some 3-gun comps and been using my lovely 1911 45acp which is great, but my competitors are mostly using 9mm which gives them twice the capacity. So, it's a hinderance on the course. UNLESS there are plates that need flipping or spinning. Then the 45 is a huge advantage with the weight of the bullet. So what I'm wondering is if there are any heavy loads for 9mm that could be easily swapped into a glock if the stage calls for plate spinning. Otherwise regular loads are fine for paper. Maybe even SWC or something.

So, I guess my questions are is a glock19 a good choice for competition and is it possible to get a considerably heavier bullet to fly well from them?
    I stopped shooting Glocks and went to Walther PPQ for IDPA and 3 Gun, my scores have improved a lot.
    I shoot a lot of 147 gr FP with HI-Tek coating which is great for steel targets.

You might want to check them out before you get a new gun they are good to go right out of the box so you don't need a bunch of after market parts.

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I stopped shooting Glocks and went to Walther PPQ for IDPA and 3 Gun, my scores have improved a lot.
    I shoot a lot of 147 gr FP with HI-Tek coating which is great for steel targets.

You might want to check them out before you get a new gun they are good to go right out of the box so you don't need a bunch of after market parts.
    What do you credit the improvements to on the walther?

Boolit Master
    What do you credit the improvements to on the walther?
    The ergonomics of the grip fit me better and 3 sizes of back straps, the factory trigger is the best on the market.

I like shoot groups from 25 yards and the PPQ gave me much smaller groups than any of my Glocks, I used the same type of Trijicon HD sights on both guns .

The PPQ's have been 100% reliable and a pleasure to shoot.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast