MidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & SonsStainLess Steel MediaTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Wisconsin TriggerLee PrecisionInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 117

Thread: Considering glock 19 few questions

  1. #21
    Boolit Master rototerrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    276
    I have a couple glocks and a couple of ppq's. PPQs feel and shoot better. Ergonomics are better and triggers are better. I still like and shoot my glocks but i like my ppqs better. Go somewhere where you can hold and see all the guns side by side and i guarantee you will not walk out with the glock. Might not even be the ppq... but it won't be the glock. Almost everything out there feels better in the hands.

  2. #22
    Vendor Sponsor
    W.R.Buchanan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ojai CA
    Posts
    6,423
    I am currently looking for a used G23 which is the .40 cal. version of the G19 I want to get a 9mm barrel for it so I can interchange.

    By simply having a 9mm barrel with me I double the types of ammo I can use in a pinch. The .40 cal bolt face will swallow the 9mm cartridge and the extractor will still grab the cases just fine. However the 9 mm bolt face won't swallow the .40 cal cartridge so this is one way interchangeability.

    Plus that I'm already set up for .40 S&W cuz I have a G35 and have thousands of rounds laying around. I also have a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in .40 Glock so my mags interchange as well.

    I'm not that big a fan of the 9mm cartridge however you can't argue with success and 9mm ammo is everywhere, so it's a good idea to have something that will shoot the stuff. It's also cheaper than any other Centerfire Pistol Round due to the amount in use. I would gravitate towards the 147 gr loads myself as I am a big proponent of bigger heavier boolits, and cast with Powder Coating would be where I'd head. These would never cause a problem in a Glock. It's hard to justify reloading 9mm with the prices of factory ammo so low, but it wouldn't be wrong as I can load .45ACP for .07 each using my home made boolits. 9mm would be between .05-.06 per round.

    As far as the guns go,,, You can't argue with the level of success that Glock has had with it's product. They are simply everywhere!

    They are the Volkswagen of pistols.

    For those who use the excuse that they don't like the grip angle (which I really don't see how anyone could pay enough attention to the grip angle to really tell the difference a few degrees makes) I would put forward that if you were to attend a Defensive Pistol Class and shoot one for 3-4 days and put 6-800 rounds thru the gun I doubt you'd be complaining about the grip angle.

    These guns grow on you, and the fact that they are not really like "Guns," but more like "Tools," is what you come away with after using one long enough to become proficient.

    If you can shoot a Glock, you can shoot anything. It doesn't necessarily work the other way around.

    Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-26-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

  3. #23
    Boolit Master fourarmed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,671
    If Glock ergonomics don't turn you off, then the 19 is a hell of a little cannon. Mine doesn't shoot all that well with cheap 115 gr FMJ, but I don't think most do. I put a KKM barrel in for shooting cast, and it shoots fairly well with heavier jacketed stuff. Still doesn't shoot the 115s all that well. I was playing with a second gen 19 belonging to a friend. It shot about the same as mine until I tried the KKM barrel in it. Using WW "Train" ammunition, I shot a 5-shot group at 25 yards that measured just over an inch. I was impressed. If my gen three would shoot like that, I could ignore the ergonomics.

  4. #24
    Boolit Master Drew P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    NW USA
    Posts
    447
    Well I should've known you guys would send me in so many directions now I am totally stumped. I'll check out the Ppq's and also want to look at the Kahrs since I was surprised to see them in similar price ranges. I had assumed they were more.
    I don't know a lot different trigger systems but the glock trigger is what really grew on me. Is that system still sort of unique to glock or was it ever even unique in the first place? Is that striker fired vs hammer fired? My ignorance to the subject is probably showing lol.

    Scratch that about kahrs they don't seem to offer double stack.

    keep in mind that the 1911 is what I've sort of fallen on as what an auto weapon should be in pure form. I generally prefer metal weapons but I won't shy away from plastic in rifles, just haven't really had it in a pistol yet. But, I'm willing to explore these new fanged things finally lol.
    Last edited by Drew P; 02-26-2017 at 11:08 PM.

  5. #25
    Boolit Man
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    w michigan
    Posts
    112
    I have a S&W brand Glock (MP9). No problems knocking steel over with 124gr. That said, I usually bring a box of 147 with me if there are heavy steel popper stages. We usually encounter a pie rack, and Spinning Star (designed by Satan, I am sure).

    My prior experiences have all been factory. I will be putting a few of my factory loads over a chrono to test this years cast boolits... I imagine the math will work out fine. I can say my current plinking hand load is probably a bit light (124gr over 4.1gr HP38 or 3.7gr Titegroup). I was not shooting re-loads last year

  6. #26
    Boolit Master



    TexasGrunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Kaufman, Texas!
    Posts
    768
    If you want a hammer fired double stack steel 9mm take a look at a CZ 75. Or if you have the budget a Browning Hi-Power.
    Semper Fi!


    Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

    I like strange looking boolits!

    NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

  7. #27
    Boolit Master Drew P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    NW USA
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    If you want a hammer fired double stack steel 9mm take a look at a CZ 75. Or if you have the budget a Browning Hi-Power.
    I had a cz75 years ago and still don't know what the heck I was thinking getting rid of it.

  8. #28
    Boolit Master
    2ndAmendmentNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,659

    Considering glock 19 few questions

    My absolute favorite model handgun is the Model 19, but when I say model 19 I am of course talking about my S&W Model 19s.


    All joking aside I do own a Glock 19. The grip angle is different, but at the range I find it to be a natural pointer for me. The trigger sucks when compared to a 1911 or SA trigger on a S&W revolver, but the gun is very dependable. My only complaint is I cant seem to shoot it better than what is considered "combat" accurate. From a rest at 25 yards the Glock 19 has never grouped tighter than 5". I understand this is good enough for most applications including my own as a concealed carry piece. Still it just seems odd that a snub nosed S&W 19 can shoot 2.5" at 25yards while the 4" Glock 19 struggles to do half of that.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

  9. #29
    Boolit Master fourarmed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,671
    Yeah, the only really accurate Glock I have fired was my friend's Gen 2 19 with my KKM barrel in it. With the ammo I shot, it was a very good grouper. The rest of them I have fired with about any ammo were pretty uninspiring.

  10. #30
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    My absolute favorite model handgun is the Model 19, but when I say model 19 I am of course talking about my S&W Model 19s.


    All joking aside I do own a Glock 19. The grip angle is different, but at the range I find it to be a natural pointer for me. The trigger sucks when compared to a 1911 or SA trigger on a S&W revolver, but the gun is very dependable. My only complaint is I cant seem to shoot it better than what is considered "combat" accurate. From a rest at 25 yards the Glock 19 has never grouped tighter than 5". I understand this is good enough for most applications including my own as a concealed carry piece. Still it just seems odd that a snub nosed S&W 19 can shoot 2.5" at 25yards while the 4" Glock 19 struggles to do half of that.
    That for me is pretty much a deal breaker, for SD I expect a handgun that can do precise head shots, or spinal shots at ten yards. I expect less than 2 inches at ten yards no rest. But my concern is not necessarily the concern of others. Since most time I am with my wife, there may be a need to take a shot that is precise to defend her. Same with children, and grandchildren. For personal self defense I guess 5 inches at 25 yards is ok. For most current combat shooting the Glock is accurate enough.

  11. #31
    Boolit Master
    2ndAmendmentNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    That for me is pretty much a deal breaker, for SD I expect a handgun that can do precise head shots, or spinal shots at ten yards. I expect less than 2 inches at ten yards no rest. But my concern is not necessarily the concern of others. Since most time I am with my wife, there may be a need to take a shot that is precise to defend her. Same with children, and grandchildren. For personal self defense I guess 5 inches at 25 yards is ok. For most current combat shooting the Glock is accurate enough.
    Well 10 yards is quite a bit closer than my testing, so 2" at 10 yards might be possible. If accuracy is the name of the game, the Glock could benefit from actual target sights rather than the functional but not precise 3-dot factory sights. I should also point out that I have only ever shot factory ammo from my Glock.

    The most accurate double stack 9mm I have ever fired was a friends custom STI 2011, that thing was amazing! Another very accurate gun I shot was a friends Kimber in 38 Super. I prefer Colts and 45s when it comes to the 1911, but that Kimber and the 38 Super was a good shooter.
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 02-27-2017 at 01:49 PM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

  12. #32
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Well 10 yards is quite a bit closer than my testing, so 2" at 10 yards might be possible. If accuracy is the name of the game, the Glock could benefit from actual target sights rather than the functional but not precise 3-dot factory sights. I should also point out that I have only ever shot factory ammo from my Glock.

    The most accurate double stack 9mm I have ever fired was a friends custom STI 2011, that thing was amazing! Another very accurate gun I shot was a friends Kimber in 38 Super. I prefer Colts and 45s when it comes to the 1911, but that Kimber and the 38 Super was a good shooter.
    Offhand. I would expect less than an inch from a rest at 10 yards, but most shots will be taken off hand in SD. 2inch widens out past 3, or 4 inches with a Glock offhand. That is just unacceptable, sorry. I have taken shots at 10 yards with a S&W 67 offhand and had every shot in one hole. Glocks just are not designed to be that accurate, that is OK for some, just not me.

  13. #33
    Vendor Sponsor
    W.R.Buchanan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ojai CA
    Posts
    6,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    Offhand. I would expect less than an inch from a rest at 10 yards, but most shots will be taken off hand in SD. 2inch widens out past 3, or 4 inches with a Glock offhand. That is just unacceptable, sorry. I have taken shots at 10 yards with a S&W 67 offhand and had every shot in one hole. Glocks just are not designed to be that accurate, that is OK for some, just not me.
    All it takes is some practice. A 4" Pistol requires a Perfect Grip and Trigger Control to go with Sight Alignment. This takes lots of practice to execute and I'm not talking a couple hundred rounds every year or so. I am talking 6-800 rounds 2-3 times a year and lots of Dry Practice in between.

    You forget little fine points that make your shots drift over time, when you don't keep up your dry practice and live round shooting.

    I see this in myself and so I know it to be true of others.

    I just DG'd the 4 day Defensive Pistol Class at Front Sight in Nov. I had one shot outside the chest box and all my head shots were in the head box from 5 and 7 yards from the holster under time pressure.

    This was after firing about 750 rounds over 4 days ! and it was the absolute best I've ever done in that class. It took me 13 years and 7 trips thru it to achieve that. Some do it faster, most never do it.

    As far as headshots at 10 yards,,, I can make 85-90% of them from the holster in <3 seconds. As long as my Trigger Control and Grip and Sight Alignment are on that day. After 50 or so rounds to warm up, I'm good to go for sure.

    If I'm cold and have to do it, it will take me a second or so longer but I can make the hit between the eyes pretty much everytime.

    We shoot at a 1" Square for one hole drills at 5 yards for accuracy and I see way too many people do it with Glocks to not believe in them. With Stock Glock Sights the Front Sight is 1" wide at 5 yards. So you simply set the 1" Square on top and let fly. Dead on at 5 yards is dead on again at 25 for most of these guns.

    If you are proficient with a Glock you can pretty much shoot anything. Very few Glocks will equal a good 1911 s far as accuracy, but inside of 25 yards the accuracy is good enough to kill people with in virtually any circumstance, and that's what the guns are designed to do. Shooting at paper targets is just for fun.

    I saw one of the instructors in one of my Rifle classes there hit a 1' square steel target at 400 yards first shot with his G19. Whereupon he promptly re-holstered the gun and left the range! I'm sure he never talks about that shot as nobody would believe him!

    Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

  14. #34
    Boolit Master zubrato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    384
    Hmm.
    I love my glock, it was my primary and only for a good many years where I shot many k's of rounds and still my edc.The gun is fantastic as a carry/duty gun, but it is not a competition gun.
    The slide release is tiny as to not inadvertently lock open the slide during firing, the mag release requires you to break your grip so that while carrying or firing you don't drop your mag.
    On top of that, it's not a very forgiving platform and will expose your weakness in the fundamentals where a gun with a fantastic trigger will mask them.
    Having said all that, spending a lot of time on glocks (and more than likely you'll have to in order to adjust to them) will make every other pistol in your safe shine brighter.
    Can you turn a no frills carry gun into a competition gun? Yes with a caveat. Money, time, and experimentation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #35
    Boolit Master

    Shiloh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Upper Midwest
    Posts
    6,241
    Acquired one years ago after taking a pistol class from a LE/NRA certified instructor.

    SHilol
    Je suis Charlie

    "A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

    “Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

    “If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

    "Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

  16. #36
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    723
    Either a gun is capable or it is not, skills are the same for most if not all platforms. Sorry, Glocks do not compare to other platforms in inherent accuracy. That is why they are not used by many for bulls eye.

    My 1851 conversion is more, much more, sooo much more accurate than a Glock.

  17. #37
    Boolit Man
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    So I don't have a double stack hand gun right now. Never wanted a glock but boy, my opinion has changed over the years and now I'm considering one to fill that hoe in my life. I also have been doing some 3-gun comps and been using my lovely 1911 45acp which is great, but my competitors are mostly using 9mm which gives them twice the capacity. So, it's a hinderance on the course. UNLESS there are plates that need flipping or spinning. Then the 45 is a huge advantage with the weight of the bullet. So what I'm wondering is if there are any heavy loads for 9mm that could be easily swapped into a glock if the stage calls for plate spinning. Otherwise regular loads are fine for paper. Maybe even SWC or something.

    So, I guess my questions are is a glock19 a good choice for competition and is it possible to get a considerably heavier bullet to fly well from them?

    I used to have a Glock 19. Note how I said "used to". It was a fine gun, but I never got along with it, but that's neither here nor there.

    147gr loads can smack steel harder than the regular 115s and 124s. Whether they will smack it hard enough for your purposes, it's hard to know without actually shooting steel with them to see what happens. Now, as far as the 19 for competition, it seems to me like you'd be better served by a Glock 17 or Glock 34. The full size gun is usually easier to shoot. The 34 is a long slide with a competition trigger, so better trigger and longer sight radius. That extra bit of sight radius on a handgun can make a real difference in practical accuracy. The 34 was designed for pretty much the kind of shooting you are doing.

    You could also look at the M&P Pro series. Same kind of gun, except it has a grip designed for humans as opposed to being designed for aliens. Although I've heard a lot of stories of poor accuracy in the full size 9mm guns in the M&P line. There's also Springfield Armory's XD series and, if you are not dead set on plastic frames and strikers, CZ has a lot of fans in terms of competition shooting.
    Last edited by jamesp81; 02-28-2017 at 05:29 PM.

  18. #38
    Boolit Master Drew P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    NW USA
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp81 View Post
    I used to have a Glock 19. Note how I said "used to". It was a fine gun, but I never got along with it, but that's neither here nor there.

    147gr loads can smack steel harder than the regular 115s and 124s. Whether they will smack it hard enough for your purposes, it's hard to know without actually shooting steel with them to see what happens. Now, as far as the 19 for competition, it seems to me like you'd be better served by a Glock 17 or Glock 34. The full size gun is usually easier to shoot. The 34 is a long slide with a competition trigger, so better trigger and longer sight radius. That extra bit of sight radius on a handgun can make a real difference in practical accuracy. The 34 was designed for pretty much the kind of shooting you are doing.

    You could also look at the M&P Pro series. Same kind of gun, except it has a grip designed for humans as opposed to being designed for aliens. Although I've heard a lot of stories of poor accuracy in the full size 9mm guns in the M&P line. There's also Springfield Armory's XD series and, if you are not dead set on plastic frames and strikers, CZ has a lot of fans in terms of competition shooting.
    What is it about the glock grip that seems alien to you?

  19. #39
    Boolit Master



    TexasGrunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Kaufman, Texas!
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    What is it about the glock grip that seems alien to you?
    Grip angle. Grip size. When I pick up a 1911 or a XD the sights fall naturally where they should. When I pick up a Glock the sights fall low.
    Semper Fi!


    Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

    I like strange looking boolits!

    NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

  20. #40
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    394
    Glocks do the same think for me, I have to change my wrist angle after raising the gun.
    God Bless, Whisler

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check