Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee new style mold problems

Lee new style mold problems

I've been using Lee bullet molds since the early 1980's & they still work fine. Not long ago I bought a new Lee mold & it has two steel cross pins for alignment of the two half's. After heating up the mold & casting about 10 bullets I noticed the two alignment pins had become finger loose & had been pushed back into the left mold side. Also read where another caster was having the same problem. Lee sent me a replacement mold which I have not used since. Anyone aware of this problem? Has Lee come up with a fix or is this still a problem?

Boolit Grand Master
    Anyone aware of this problem?

Look what happens when you do a search :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/goog...984j2752014j32
    Last edited by Ben; 08-03-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Boolit Master

I always heat cycle my new molds and I've read this helps with this specific issue as well. I used my new 501 440gr mold this week and I heat cycled it several times, I had no issues with it.

I have the same problem with the 312-155 mold, when I called lee to let them know that they had a problem with the pins, he told me that I must be banging on it to hard and that they have not had any reports of this problem. I now have wings on the points of the mold and sent in photos of it they told me that I am using the mold wrong and that I must close it all the way.
    I will never buy another lee product, I have never had a problem with them replacing defective products before. Now they are telling me I dont know what Im doing.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Basic engineering tells you a steel pin & an aluminum body expand & contract at a considerable different rate. I would have thought this would have been considered before this new style alignment was put into production. All Lee needs to do is peen or press in a shoulder behind the back of the alignment pin. From what I have read from various sources this problem is very wide spread. It appears there is an ego problem with Lee that prevents them from making a fix. To bad sense I believe they make a good mold otherwise. I have "Lyman" & "Ideal" iron molds with steel alignment from back in the early 1960's that work as good as ever after having produced tens of thousands of bullets. I also have many Lee molds from the early 1980's that still work perfectly. I do hope Lee reconsiders a fix to an otherwise good mold.

Moderator Emeritus

I love lot's of Lee's products.
    I love the prices they are able to sell them at.
    I am happy to deal with any short coming's that some of their products have.
    I have never had any problems with their customer service and have heard many many others say the same thing, but I've heard a few that have had problems...it just means some one is having a bad day...I believe it's all in the day of the life of a Company that is run by the Third Generation.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

With the "new style" Lee 2 cavity moulds , I find that bringing them slowly up to temperature, warming on top of the filled pot , then dipping a corner for 45 seconds or so , without casting any boolits , then letting the mould slowly cool by sitting them on top of the pot filled with melted alloy and turning the pot off to cool overnight .... doing this at least twice (I like to do it three times) seasons the mold and sets the pins.
    I've done this with 4 new moulds and none have had pin loosening issues. I truly believe this heat cycling with out casting and slow cooling does the trick on the pins.

Gary

I have at least 10 of the new molds . I never use a hot plate and only had a pin problem on one mold . Taped it back into place and staked it with a punch . Has not moved since . I have heard that some that use the hot plate just stake the pins before they use the mold .Marvin

I bought a Lee mold with this type of alignment system pretty soon after it came out. After some use one of the pins came loose, so I contacted Lee, their answer was to stake the pins! (They obviously expected this to happen and didn't believe they had a manufacturing/design problem).

Personally I prefer the older system, much better design imo.

Boolit Master

my new one is doing fine but I'll have to watch it.

poor customer service is a great way to lose business.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy

Another useful tip I learned today , Thanks guys , this is the best forum on the net
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    Let mold cool down some.
    Insert mold into round container at end of bench.
    Get on computer and order a proper mold from NOE, Accurate, RCBS, Lyman, Saeco, LBT, etc.

Boolit Grand Master

Loose pins can be fixed with little work, but shouldn't happen to begin with. Several ways to fix then are as stated stake them in tighter. This can be done buy lightly peening the aluminum blocks a little at 3-4 places around the hole and or inside the hole. A hole punch of the right dia may be able to set around the pin and lightly peen a compressed ring around the pin. The shank of the pin can be lightly peened and or dinged with a prick punch in several places around the shank. A high temp thread locker can also be used. You want one that's good to 600* or more.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Let mold cool down some.
    Get on computer and order a proper mold from NOE, Accurate, RCBS, Lyman, Saeco, LBT, etc.
    LOL! Best advise ive seen!

I found this over at Lee, seems they think it is due to overheating and annealing the aluminum blocks.

http://leeprecision.net/support/inde...le-cavity-mold
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    LOL! Best advise ive seen!
    ^^^^^what he said, there new moods are junk^^^^^
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    I had this happen recently with a .452 300gr mold. It started casting screwy, the alignment pins were loose. Problem is the way they did it, theres a sleeve, then the pin inside it. Its not the sleeve thats loose where it can be staked, but the pin inside. I got it set where it needs to be, and dribbled some lead in there and its staying put...for now. But Im searching for a non lee replacement mold.

Lee does not really seem to put much thought into 'improvements'. The sprue plate screw was coming loose on opening, so a left hand thread...makes it come loose closing. Not sure the improvement. They really dont want to drill and tap for a set screw. Im going to say the newer alignment pins are easier to manufacture than the old style, not because its better. And Lee seems to be the only one having issues with aluminum annealing during use. Maybe if they used a decent grade of metal? Or face the fact, they need to stop cutting corners and raise the price of molds.

Boolit Master

I agree! When you look at them compared to a Noe or Accurate, they look puny! I've never had any good results with any of them!

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Let mold cool down some.

I've got to agree with MT Chambers. I've bought two Lee molds in ten years and they both landed in the scrap metal bin real quick. These days the only molds I'm using are aluminium molds from Accurate.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Great advise here for someone looking at .a first time lee mold purchase

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast