WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New to me Winchester/Miroku 1886

Boolit Buddy

New to me Winchester/Miroku 1886

Picked it up last night 26inch barrel pistol grip stock, and so far it has chambered all 45-70 I have on hand. This rifle doesn't have the receiver drilled for a sight so I assume it is a early one.

So where are the Pics of it?
    Congrats on that pick up.
    Let us know how it shoots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Super Moderator

............Yup, sorry to say that without pictures you may just be telling a 'stretcher' Is there a sight on the barrel? WHat kind of sight would the action be drilled for, if was D&T'd?

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Man
    There are four holes on top of the receiver you can mount a scope or a Williams peep sight.

Boolit Buddy
    The newer ones have d&t for a Lyman 66 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170226_093434584.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	189071
    A marlin has the top of the receiver d&t but don't see how you could on a 86 Winchester.

Boolit Man
    Sorry I was looking at a 94

Banner Sponsor

On the back left side, is there 2 holes drilled and tapped for a peep sight?

Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post

This rifle doesn't have the receiver drilled for a sight so I assume it is a early one.

AFAIK, none of the Miroku/Winchester or Miroku/Browning Model 1886/86's are factory prepped for either a receiver or tang peep sight.

I mounted a Marble's tang peep sight on one, over 12 years ago, but never D/T'd the tang for the 2nd/forward tang sight base screw - just secured it with a longer (than issue) tang screw.

The sight never moved during the 5 years I shot/hunted with it, because the tang's upper surface is slightly convex, accepting the slightly concave underside of the tang sight base - but I DID check the tang screw for tightness prior to any shooting/hunting. (I never found that the screw loosened)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    its not d&t on the side of the receiver, that why I was asking it was an older one.

Boolit Buddy
    What weight boolit are you guys using in you miroku 86's?

Boolit Master
    I would look for a good replica tang sight.

I shoot mostly a 405 grain boolit.

Nice looking '86. Be sure you position that crescent butt plate at the outer most edge of your scapula with the heel in your armpit.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

I mostly shoot the 340 lee tumble lubed. Cause it's just plain fun! My rifle also shoots the 300 Hornady JHP exceedingly well with IMR 4198. Reliability was an issue until I removed the rebounding hammer function. Runs like an "86" should now.

Boolit Buddy
    What weight boolit are you guys using in you miroku 86's?
    I sold off all my jacketed bullets and only shoot lead clip on ww's. They shoot equally as accurate. I use RCBS 45 300 gas check bullets with ben's red lube. They actually weigh 325 grains. AA2200 powder at near max load, and about 2100 fps?, for best accuracy. These loads are a bit hard on the shoulder to say the least. A plain based 405 grain bullet at around 1350 fps is very comfortable and accurate.
    The way to shoulder a crescent butt, is to raise your arm so it is parallel to the ground, and the but will sit comfortably in your shoulder pocket, and not bruise your ribs and side. Try it, and you will see what I mean.
    Forgot to add. I am using the marbles improved tang sight. Staff height, is the next one up from their shortest. 1 screw is enough to secure it to the tang. Also added lyman front globe sight.

Boolit Buddy
    I was thinking of a MVA vernier to gain a little range out of her, and was thinking about a 450 to 500gr.

Boolit Buddy
    I was thinking of a MVA vernier to gain a little range out of her, and was thinking about a 450 to 500gr.
    I can't see that a 450 or 500 grain bullet will do anymore than a 405. Make sure the bolt will clear the tang sight that you choose, or you may have to drop the sight back/down each time you cycle the lever. The tall marbles improved staff may get you out to 700 or 800yds, but I am not really sure how far they will go.