Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 460 S&W Magnum

Boolit Bub

460 S&W Magnum

Okay guys, did a search and nothing came up. I'm in the process of building a 45 Raptor rifle and pistol combo. For those not familiar, 45 Raptor is based on .308 case, runs in AR-10 platform and will also work in S&W 460 Magnum revolvers with moon clips. It uses 460 S&W load data. What I'm looking for is a bullet mold in the 350-400 gr range with a rounded as possible nose for better feeding in the AR. Anyone here messing with this?

Banned

why not try the rcbs 405 round flat that's designed for the 4570. Its got a fairly small flat and is rounded off. Nice thing too is ive never found a 4570 or 458 that didn't do exceptionally well with that bullet and its proven itself on game for me quite a few times. I used to size it down the 300 grain version to 453 and shoot it out of 45 colts before the heavy 45 molds started flooding the market. No reason you couldn't do the same with the 405. Or though its lighter then you want maybe give the 300 grain version a try too.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd prefer to not have to size down from .458 to .452.

Boolit Master
    Might be more options in a 458 sized down. I bought a 425gr NOE mold, its 395gr w hollow point pins.

Boolit Buddy

My concern would be rate of twist. The 460 revolvers' sweet spot is the 200 to 265 range. I know folks shoot heavier than that but I have not heard any accuracy reports. Was you looking to go subsonic? Those are the questions I would have. Hope that helps.

Boolit Master

Just a suggestion from my S&W 460 experience if you intend or have acquired a 460 revolver. Before you invest into any molds try a few store-bought heavy slugs and see how well you can handle the pain.

Boolit Master

Check Accurate molds about doing a custom one for you.

Boolit Master

I have a 452 NOE 350 mold, probably the best you will do, the one I have is an RG2 and comes with both HP and FP pins.

Boolit Grand Master

Perma-Banned
    Neat looking round! Never heard of it til now? I sent a link to an AR friend of mine, i would bet he gets one. Appears to be quite the performer According to the Ballistics

Boolit Buddy
    I did a design for the 45acp that is 300gr but a flat nose, I would bet you could use a big flat point. So far I have run this design in Glocks, Kahrs, 1911s and my 45acp AR upper with no issues. I could send you some if you want to test them. Also I have the same design @ 400gr but haven't asked Tom to cut it yet.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-300H-D.png

Boolit Bub
    I'm having a custom mold made right now. 350-370 gr round nose with no lube grooves. It will have a crimp groove. I plan to powder coat. Question, do you think a 1-16 twist is too fast?

Boolit Bub
    Finally got enough stuff together to start testing. My mold came in and I got to work casting some boolits. Came out at 375 grains. Did a powder coat job and loaded them up into some 45 Raptor brass.
    I had some IMR4227 laying around. Could not find data for this particular loading, but made an educated guess for a starting load at 30 grains. Fired it off in my AR-10 and it worked perfect. Too bad I shot my chrono a while back or I'd include some results. Seems promising so far.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20170326_13_29_36_Pro.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	191828

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I assembled a small ring Mauser for this a while back and shot it some , more as a test bed for a future project than a current all star rocker .

The end results are that everything in the normal pistol class was fun to shoot and acceptable accuracy was had even with a case full of H322 .
    The fun in the 5.5# bolt gun slowed with the 350 Custom Mountain Moulds 453-350 RF plain base just as the groups started to come in and the 322 was cleaning up . 1700 fps with a 350 gr in a 16 twist is my upper limit of comfortable shooting . Which really means that 1600 was great and 1700 should be saved for say a rogue bull elephant running amuck in your front yard .

It was a fun build and it is cool to have that ability or capability rather in a companion pair nevermind the cool factor of having a light weight 45-70 start load bolt gun fed with 308 brass .

40 gr of H322 would probably be my upper limit , although not the 45kpsi limit placed on my build was plenty of thump .

I shot several 250-265 gr cast , even a paper patched 429421 at 448 , with good results on up to 2000 fps ( book numbers none of these over the Chrony) . A 45-70 fell in my lap so this and the cracked stock of the Raptor are set back for now .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Bub
    Okay, having some problems with the AR-10. I have concluded that because of the shape of the boolit, it is jamming against the throat making causing it to not want to go into battery unless I release the bolt from the fully drawn position (not where it is released from the bolt catch). It takes considerable effort to remove a loaded cartridge and I can see a clear ring on the ogive where the throat is contacting the bullet. It is basically getting jammed into the rifling. I'm guessing this boolit is not a good match for this rifle because of the shape. I suppose I can still use it in a revolver though.
    Any thoughts? BTW, I had to up the charge to 33 grains before it would hold open on an empty mag.

Boolit Bub
    Fingered out the solution. Gonna ream the throat out until the boolit fits.

Boolit Bub
    Okay decided not to ream the throat out. Decided to abandon my custom boolit and buy a mold off the shelf designed for the 460 S&W

Name:	45-400A-D.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	193803

Boolit Bub
    Re designed the above boolit to make it feed better and also make it more suitable for powder coat (don't need grooves).
    Tell me what you think. BTW, Accurate Molds is pretty awesome. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-360H-D.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	194622

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rongaudier View Post
    Fingered out the solution. Gonna ream the throat out until the boolit fits.
    That would be my suggestion. Less pressure b/c of less resistance, smoother transition into the rifling, the freebore centers the boolit quite well in the throat and you generally are rewarded with great accuracy.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Bub
    Welp my new bullet works great without doing anything to the throat. I've had to change out the recoil spring and monkey with the gas adjustment to get it to run just right, but now it is almost perfect.
    Time for accuracy testing.

Name:	WP_20170613_10_13_35_Pro (1).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	197466