Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wideners done?

Boolit Buddy

Wideners done?

I think Wideners may be out of the primer and powder business??
    None listed now - Hate to lose a good vendor.
    Anyone know what happened?
    I noticed supply dwindling after new owners got it.
    Then yesterday gone.
    Glad I got my Herco at a great price before they went under.
    I will miss them as they were great for competition with the others.

Boolit Buddy
    They had primers on sale last weekend $12/1000. They had lots of powder in stock too. My guess is people loaded up to take advantage of hazmat and cleaned them out. I was going to - had my cart loaded up, but decided I've got enough components for now.

Boolit Buddy
    I had emailed them as I thought they were going out of business, as some of the
    rumors I had heard and that I had noticed the powder, primers were gone or slowly
    going away. The email response was, they were going out of the primer / powder
    business due to several things, HM fees, the ordinance codes, the expenses of all
    that had to do with powder / primer storage etc. That they were going to focus on
    projectiles, brass, etc. other things the reloader my need, loaded ammo etc.

hope this helps out some, I don't have access to that email address on this device
    to actually copy and paste it.

-Rock

Banned
    Won't effect me because I don't order powder off line. Could never stomach those hazmat fees.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Won't effect me because I don't order powder off line. Could never stomach those hazmat fees.
    Just have to buy in bulk.

I can pay hazmat on bulk purchases and still save 30% over what it would cost me locally....not to mention that there is nowhere locally that carries any decent inventory of powders.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Just have to buy in bulk.

I can pay hazmat on bulk purchases and still save 30% over what it would cost me locally....not to mention that there is nowhere locally that carries any decent inventory of powders.
    This, the more you buy, the more you can absorb the HM fees, some places even offer free shipping
    and some may for go the HM fee all together, just got to hit it right. It may be a big hit dollar wise
    to buy in bulk, the savings in the long run, helps.

-Rock

Boolit Grand Master
    Buy in build with your shooting friends. Buy the max of powder if possible and divvy up shipping. Makes powder as cheap as yo can get.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    That's what I always did - Ask my buds who reload if they need powder because I'm putting in an order.
    They usually spring for a few pounds or an eight pounder.
    Then I lay in 2 or 3 eights and a few cases of primers.
    We split the Haz and shipping.
    They get a better price and I get a great price plus I'm set for that burn rate for ummm awhile

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Well, how about that carp! I've been dealing with them since the middle 80's, so........... I guess I'm done with them, too! ( dang it)
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Quote Originally Posted by dbarry1 View Post
    They had primers on sale last weekend $12/1000. They had lots of powder in stock too. My guess is people loaded up to take advantage of hazmat and cleaned them out. I was going to - had my cart loaded up, but decided I've got enough components for now.
    Glad I missed that, because I would have loaded up on more primers, even though I don't need any.

I'm a little disheartened that this turned out to be a close out strategy. I was hoping it was a trend on pricing and availability.

Boolit Buddy
    Within the past few years it has become more expensive to order powder and primers on line. The HAZ MAT thing was a joke for the carrier to make more money off the shipping. I have friends that work for UPS and the so called haz mat stuff is treated no differently. It now has become cheaper to just buy at the local gun shows.

Boolit Grand Master
    I must have visited gun shows at the wrong time. I have always been able to beat gun show prices buying on-line. LGS prices are a joke but I did buy 2 jugs of Varget at list price when it was impossible to get.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Well that explains the prices they had. Shame they're getting out of seeing as how they bought the business from someone else. Sure way to lose customers. Had I known they were getting out of it I would have purchased even though I didn't need any. Thought it was an inventory reduction due to taxes.

Boolit Master
    I for one, just unsubscribed from their e-mail flyers.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    Wow they were a staple in the bus for years

Boolit Buddy
    In regards to reloading components (powders and primers) that is correct. We continue to face higher costs to comply with regulations around the storage, sale, and shipping of powder and primers. You’ve probably noticed the increase in hazardous materials shipping fees, but that’s just a small part of the costs. We also face greater local, state, and federal regulations that place a difficult burden on retailers like us, who focus on serving the small reloader.

It was a hard decision to stop selling powder and primers because we have sold them for so long, and especially because several of us are avid reloaders ourselves. However, we will still offer bullets, casings, and pre-primed casings with the same friendly customer service our customers expect and deserve. We are also already going to work, expanding our selection of loaded ammunition to ensure we can be of help for shooters who enjoy every corner of the passion we all share.

Thank you,
    Joe
    Wideners.com

1-800-615-3006

Boolit Master
    I am a small business man myself so I can understand the what they have to deal with. It is not always easy do understand until you have lived it. I feel bad that we have to lose a online dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I've only done powder and primers on line once,me and a few other guys did a group buy so hazmat & shipping was only $10 each. Only added a buck to each lb. of power and brick of primers so it's not a bad deal if you can do it that way. Nowadays I just buy local as my vendor had very good prices on powder,primer an once fired brass.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I buy as much stuff as I can from small local shops to help them out, even if it costs a little more. I hope Widener's keeps selling brass and jacketed bullets, they are my favorite online source for them.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    I get most everything from Powder Valley!! 60 lbs maximum package I believe? I always have them stuff the box with bags of shotgun wads to make the weight limit. Depends on your geographic location but Kansas is the best bet for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast