Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Question for Larry Gibson...

Boolit Buddy

Question for Larry Gibson...

I saw that you recently posted the following:

"I use a ternary alloy with the antimony and tin balanced. I use them from 700 to 1200 fps in various handgun and rifle cartridges in handguns and rifles. I put a very light coat on the bullets, let them dry completely, size them and then put another light coat on them letting them thoroughly dry before loading. I get excellent accuracy and have yet to have the "leading" problems others seem to have."

Why do you coat then size? Is this so you can get more lube in the lube groove(s)?

Thanks

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I'm not Larry, but I do the same thing. The instructions for Lee Liquid Alox state that two thin coats are more effective than one heavy coat. I go farther and actually dilute my LLA with equal parts by liquid volume of clear mineral spirits to apply a very thin, transparent coating which is only enough to turn the bullets a light brassy color. I make NO attempt to fill the lube grooves because it isn't necessary.

A light film lube applied before sizing in the Lee sizer reduces sizing effort. For subsonic handgun and gallery rifle loads with plainbased bullets very little lube is needed and more enlarges groups.

Heavier charges which require gaschecks on the bullets do get a second thin coating of lube applied after sizing and crimping on the GC. This is adequate for 9x19mm, .357 and .44 Magnum and rifle loads up to 1800 fps.

Full charge rifle loads above 1800 fps I do fill the lube grooves with NRA formula 50-50 Alox-Beeswax.

Hope this answers your questions, and if Larry has anything to add, I am sure he will chime in.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

As Outpost75 basically said because that's what Lee's directions says to do.

You can dilute the LLA with mineral spirits as Outpost does or preheat the LLA in hot water as I do. Both methods allow a thin coat. With the TL bullets though the LLA in grooves helps to support the groove during sizing. If you doubt that take a TL314-90-SWC and without lube size it to .311 (I use a lot of this bullet in .30 cals) and see how much of the grooves are still there....probably not many. Then lube the bullets with LLA first, let dry and then size. You will find the LLA has filled the grooves and keeps them mostly there. The TL358-158-SWC will drop bullets at .360+ when cast of COWWs + 2% tin. Without lubing 1st if I size to .356 the grooves are pretty much wiped away. When Lubed 1st they are not.

The second coat is as per Lee's instructions after sizing.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    Good info, thank you. I will give the double dip a try.

Boolit Grand Master

IIRC; alox works on the surface of the bullets, not necessary to fill the grooves. First coat lubes the bullet for sizing, second coat to insure good coverage on surface of bullet...
    My Anchor is holding fast!