Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mauser Model 1871

Boolit Master

Mauser Model 1871

Anybody out there have one of these with a cleaning rod. Just picked one up and tear down, cleaning and inspection in process and found something not adding up. Cleaning rod is threaded and screws into lower plate okay when disassembled, just really too short on assembled rifle. I have seen close to flush on muzzle in some pictures, mine seems correct but short and enough not to thread side loading into nose cap. It measures 32.5" total and worst case I dig up and old rod and section in. Thanks, Lar------

I'm pretty certain that the condition you have discovered is true of many other military rifles as well, especially the Mauser series. An additional length of rod with a handle was issued to screw onto the part carried in the rifle. The additional part was often not issued to every soldier, perhaps one or two to a squad, and was shared.

Boolit Master
    The forward slotted patch end seems to be correct to limited photos seen. 34" would be about correct for muzzle position to threaded hole on lower plate compared to the 32.5" I have. Having a few Mauser's in the house and understanding the 10" to 15" rod with the the later repeaters and use of the Swede's extensions also. They do all seem to screw in for security and retention though, this one hits the front band before engaging threads. It is a little slim on available information for the M71, just putting out feelers for anyone that may have one to possibly confirm length of their rod.

Super Moderator

Here's a photo of mine. If you meed a measurement and let me know.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

The rod in my 71 is a nominal 34 1/8" and is about flush with the muzzle --

Boolit Master
    Thank You kind gentleman for your time with confirmations! It appears mine was shortened and threaded at 32.5", little gritty but it screwed right into tang- hmmmmmm? The rifle was missing rear tang wood screw and rear action screw. Went into Mauser drawer and found that a rear from a 98K works and the wood screw seems to be one in the same into the 98's, two down and one to go. I am happy to have found this one, had a rough life but she is going to make smoke. The missing screws, short rod, two kind of ugly spots in bore, chipped edge on firing pin nut, but all the big parts match. Nothing is free but I now have the beginning piece in the collection. Thanks Again, Lar---

Hey buckshot
    Is that an after market front sight on your 71? Mine looks to be one piece.

Boolit Master

Looks just like mine. I think I can see a dove tail in the pic. I better have a closer look at it

Boolit Master
    Great pictures gentleman confirming, that is the rod I have mine is just short. I have a 71/84 with a single digit s/n that looks like it is a year old, this old girl is at the other end of the spectrum for sure but is has found a caring home. Just put it back together after first tear down, clean and inspect. Even layer of frosty brown, missing front sling loop on middle band, short cleaning rod?, firing pin nut (appears was dropped and chipped at 2 o'clock), stock looks like it was walked on laying on gravel road, bore not too bad except for two small spots of pitting. I have everything to make it go boom, just need to find/make the daytime hours to make smoke.

I want one. There is just something about them and it's not just the Mauser name. I have a cartridge for one!

Boolit Buddy
    Dutch, long time. Hey, is that front sight drifted out from the front? My '71 appears to be a one-piece, but the front blade is numbered to the rifle.
    Mike

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finnmike View Post
    Dutch, long time. Hey, is that front sight drifted out from the front? My '71 appears to be a one-piece, but the front blade is numbered to the rifle.
    Mike
    hi Mikey!

I'm expected to know this? I'm afraid I don't and won't as mine is buried in the safe. Can't tell nuttin' from the picture either..

sorry

Dutch

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	222394
    This is a Mauser 71 that came to me as a 12 Gauge Shotgun.I have rebarreled it to 45-70 Black Powder.The Stock is an old one from another Rifle.The furniture is mauser 71 stuff.A sort of recycling success.

That's a nice looking rifle, Col4570. Did it remain a single shot?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    That's a nice looking rifle, Col4570. Did it remain a single shot?
    Yes it is still a single shot,When it came to me the stock was falling apart,I kept the action and furniture.From what I can gather many of the Mauser 71s where converted to Shotguns,The Bolt had already been Bent down.The Stock is actually from a .22 Bolt action Rifle that had been abused and scrapped.The Barrel I used was from a smooth bore .410 that had been on a Rolling Block Rifle Action so you see the rifle is quite a hybrid.I reamed the barrel and Rifled it using a 1 in 20 Whitworth barrel as a Rifling former.I made the Rifling Head, attatched it to a rod,Cast a lead Plug on the Rod in the Whitworth Barrel,Clamped both Barrels on a length of timber and slowly rifled the Barrel,i then lapped it with a Lead Plug on a Rod,I then made a Chamber Reamer and Threaded the Barrel and attached it to the action,I had it Proofed at The Birmingham Gun Barrel Proof House.

Wow! That was quite a project with very nice results. Especially the fact that your rifled the barrel yourself, something that I have never done.

Is it possible the cleaning rod is from another model Mauser?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    Is it possible the cleaning rod is from another model Mauser?
    Yes....

Why concern yourselves about such trivia as cleaning rods, when the Kaiser has given you an improved model without that problem?
    Attachment 222626Attachment 222627

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast