WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 HPs hitting high and left

Boolit Master

45 HPs hitting high and left

So I loaded up some hollow point cast from my new 45 200-225grain mold. I went o the range to shoot them and see how the accuracy was and it sucked. I shot these at 10 yards off hand and they were landing 3" high and left of my normal POI. They grouped 1.9" center to center at the best. I shot them off a bag at 10 yards and it wasn't much better. I shot these out of my Beretta PX4 .45 on a nice day so what in the world. Below is all of my load data for the boolits. The ones loaded up with Clays performed slightly better but nowhere near as well as my 200 grain semi-wadcutters loaded with Clays at 3.8grains in the same gun. So my question is what the heck is going on? I know I had about 1 in every 20 didn't want to feed all the way and had to be nudged into battery. My best guess is that maybe I should try them sized to 451 and see if that's any better. I will slug the bore before I try that. What variables should I start adjusting to make this boolit fly right. Also there was no key holeing. The boolits were filled out very well, the bases were clean and neat. Could my round size be too soft by chance causeing boolit skid. I noticed the other day that some of my lead ingots got mixed together when we moved so it could Ben more pure lead than I thought.

3 batches of 100 rounds using 200 grain penta hollow point
    Sized to .452"
    Mixed brass
    Lubed with bens red
    1.23" OAL
    crimped to .465-.468(due to mixed brass)
    Winchester large standard/mag pistol primers
    Alloy:
    60% pure lead
    38% WW alloy
    2% Sn

100 rounds over W231 5.2 grains
    100 rounds over W231 5.6 grains
    100 rounds over Clays 3.8grains

Clear day, 60% humidity
    Temperature of range 78 degrees
    2-4 knot winds from behind

Speed calculated from 10 round groups

Average speed for W231 5.2 grains 836fps
    Average speed for W231 5.6 grains 924fps
    Average speed for Clays 3.8 grains 812fps
    Last edited by sutherpride59; 02-24-2017 at 09:28 PM.

Boolit Master

The only thing I see is I would back off the crimp to .469 to .470. The 200 SWC bullet is known for it's accuracy. I would stay with .452 unless your bore slugs less than .450. I don't think your lead is too soft but I may back off the powder charge and try that. If they shoot at a lower velocity then you may have an alloy problem.

Boolit Master
    Your alloy should be okay at .45 auto velocities, when ever I get bad cast accuracy I try a wider bullet, and keep trying until it fails the "plunk test".

Banned

I'd back the crimp off too.
    I'd also seat a tick shorter.

Up and to the left? Would they possibly be moving slower and leaving later in the recoil cycle than your usual load? Can you safely go faster?
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Master

I may have to try pushing them a little faster and see what happens.

Banned

The only way I know to get closer to the aim point is by changing speeds and spin.

Boolit Master

A I'm going to try a variety of things as y'all suggested, shorter OAL. Size some to .453, drop down and speed up on my powder charge, and check my alloy I think some of my lead bars got mixed in the move and I never tested the boolit hardness so it's possible they could have been too hard.

Boolit Master

So to revisit this post with updates I tried these boolits out again with 50/59, 50/50 water dropped, wheel weight water dropped and wheel weight ice water dropped. I tied these all with both clays and W231. The best accuracy I obtained was 5" groups at 25 yards with 50/50 water dropped and 5.3grains of W231. Using the flat nose insert in this mold instead of the deep well hollow point one I can get 1.76" groups at 25 yards. I tried different crimps and different seating depths with no noticeable improvement. Could such a deep hollow point cavity cause too much forward turbulence? Also as a correction to my original post I'm not using the penta insert I'm using the "round" one, basically the super deep pin to make a huge hollow cavity that takes the boolit from being the normal 225 grains to 200.
    Last edited by sutherpride59; 07-28-2017 at 04:11 PM.

I've been testing HP accuracy with various molds from Mihec and NOE and have been amazed how much HP affects accuracy. Same bullet profile, even virtually the same HP volume with different geometry can show a change on target. I now treat each one as a different boolit and note which HP is used along with all the other pertinents, primer, powder, size, etc. There is always the possibility that your gun just doesn't like that boolit, or at least that boolit with that particular HP cavity and load.

I have never had that sort of POI shift at a mere 10y with any bullet/caliber combo in handguns. You could try a diff powder, that may have a little to do with it but 3" @ 10y is quite a bit. Since the accuracy is better as a solid, my guess is the HP cav is slightly off.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

I'm assuming a multi cavity mold. Is it possible that you have an inconsistent cavity/pin?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

You may have answered your own question in your original post. Did you slug your barrel yet? That has to be your starting point with EVERY firearm you intend to push cast lead through. Until we know this important dimension, it is hard to offer advice.

I don't think it is alloy related. You should be able to shoot pure lead, at that pressure range, from that .45 if it is sized properly.

If you're lazy like me you'd just aim low and right.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

Sorry it took me a while to get back to this, I did slug the barrel for mod and my beretta at .451, it is a 4 cav so I might try casting some next week and try them in lots, 10 from one cavity then 19 from another. I am also going to try using the penta pin and see if that helps with the accuracy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    If you're lazy like me you'd just aim low and right.
    I'm a fan of kentucky windage too .

I honestly had not even tried the regular hp pin, I went with the penta pin on the same mold and it fires to point of aim for me. I'll send some to another member next week and see if he has similar results.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

If your barrel is .451, and in your 1st post you say you are sizing to .452, this might be part of the problem. What is the size of "as cast", un sized boolits? If they are .453, try them as cast. .002 to .003 over is acceptable for cast lead. Just go back to starting loads and work up again

Boolit Master
    Is your crimp die a taper style?

Boolit Master

It is a Lee taper crimp die and I will give as cast a try as well. Again the confusion of this is using the hollow point pins I get **** accuracy, without them using the flat pins I get great accuracy from these boolits. Also to add I have tried using tight group, clays, W231, unique and just for S&Gs trail boss.

Boolit Master
    Could the deep & wide hollow point allow the bullet diameter to collapse inward making the diameter slightly smaller? If this is occurring the bulk of the bullet length won't be at sized diameter. Instead of slugging up and getting fatter the bullet maybe slugging up by caving in getting short in length and narrower in diameter. The bullet would only need to be reduced in diameter a few thou to spoil accuracy and not along its entire length just enough to weaken the rifling grip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast