PBcastcoRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going Back to Tumble Lube

Boolit Grand Master

I've four Lyman 450s (had five for a while) and a 45. Been using the Lyman's since '68. Do I tumble lube? You betcha I do. With some applications it's the easiest, simplest and best method. I use LLA and follow Lee's directions. Works for me.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

I've found that in my semi-auto pistols and .38 revolvers, there's nothing faster or simpler than tumble-lubing, and I can find no downside to the process.

I like my barely used sizer the way it is, clean.. and on the floor. For sizing, It gets mounted on the bench, in seconds. There are two embedded nuts in the tabletop and two long bolts and washers in a little parts drawer with a screwgun fitting on a ratchet extension and a 9/16 socket.

Banned

I started out using Lee Alox, then got started with PC. Still love both and still use both. I use PC since I have the time on my hands and I have a lot of LLA for my back up.

The $200 for the star and first sizer, plus some lube vs. a zip lock qt. baggie and some lube at around $20 a quart from Lars white label lubes.

I also figure I have around $25 into basic powder coat set up. Not sure yet if there is something I can't lube or handle between the TL and PC. I'm guessing the star might be faster for some stuff than the PC which might matter in auto loaders. But so far one of the two, tumble lube or pc has covered everything I have needed for maybe a $50 outlay.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

After shooting several hundred pc bullets in my Ruger 45C I noticed around strap and chamber there was an etching this was with black and red powder back to the regular lube for me.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Bub
    I have tried everything....the last being powder coating. Quite frankly, as a bullseye pistol shooter I have yet to notice any difference in my scores. Seriously thinking about going back to casting and simply tumble lubing...no sizing. Its the easiest and fastest way.

Boolit Master
    I started with pan lunging, then switched to tumble lubing when Lee started selling liquid alox. I didn't start using a sizer until 7-8 years ago. I still tumble lube pistol bullets every chance I get. Running 1000 bullets in/out of a sizer is a lot less appealing than swirling them around a few times and dumping them onto wax paper.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    The $200 for the star and first sizer, plus some lube vs. a zip lock qt. baggie and some lube at around $20 a quart from Lars white label lubes.

I also figure I have around $25 into basic powder coat set up. Not sure yet if there is something I can't lube or handle between the TL and PC. I'm guessing the star might be faster for some stuff than the PC which might matter in auto loaders. But so far one of the two, tumble lube or pc has covered everything I have needed for maybe a $50 outlay.
    Where can I find a Star for $200?
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    In the S&S section from time to time. I paid a little over $200 for one w/ five dies and three top punches. They aren't all priced that way but they do show up.

Boolit Master

I paid $200 for a NIB Dillon 650 XL setup for both .45 ACP and .44 Mag. Extra tool heads, powder measure, everything but dies. It also had the powder and primer alarms.

Once in a lifetime deals are great, but I don't tell people that they can get a Dillon for $200.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    I almost bit on one at that price because it was a good deal but other stuff I needed more got the funds instead. A lot of the lubing & sizing equipment provides some good options but as with many things there is a diminishing return on the dollar as the price goes up. Good, Better, Best it seems to take a lot more to get from better to best than it does from good to better. One of these days I may pick up a larger toaster oven that would be better for $40 bucks, not going to spend $100 or more to get into best territory.

Trying to make ammo not piss of the wife, and I'm pretty sure if my bullet toaster oven is better than hers in the kitchen I will be hearing about it. problem is I don't want hers so I can't even upgrade hers and take the old one. Sigh.

I was tempted by the star due to loading for auto loader because PC while very good takes longer and if I could gas check, lube, and size in one operation that might go faster. Lord knows one can go through a lot of 7.62 x 39 in a very short range visit.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I tumble lube. It works for me. Not adverse to trying new lubes though. Pan lubing and dipping work also.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy

I use the lee push through sizer with LLA and it seems to work fine. I just bought a 32oz jug of the 45/45/10 and looking forward to trying that as well. I also pan lube, and Lyman 450 size lube they all work well for various applications. I shoot a lot of black powder and found that LLA is the quickest and easiest way for lubing conical revolver bullets. I put a pretty heavy coat of LLA on them (more so than a cartridge bullet), seems to work every bit as good as the ones I was pan lubing with my BP lube.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12