Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
PBcastco Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Back to Tumble Lube

Going Back to Tumble Lube

Hello,

I'm finding myself going back to tumble lubing with the Lee system.

I've been pan lubing for a couple, few years now. I got busy, didn't load some bullets, and they started to oxidize a bit -- the oldest ones anyway.

So I broke out a 200grn SWC-TL .452 mold, cleaned it up and started casting. To lube, I toss the bullets in a box lined with denim and loaded with liquid Alox, spray a bit of brake cleaner in there, and shake 'em up. I let dry, size, and repeat the lube process.

That brake cleaner dries very quickly and thins the Alox nicely.

The Alox protects the entire bullet, which makes sense for long term storage.

Anyone else find themselves gravitating back to tumble lubing?

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master
    I like tumble lube on my full wad cutters that I load as cast , it's quick and easy . I just dump them out on a pan to dry .

Boolit Grand Master
    I am wondering why you would line a box with denim before tumbling bullets in it. The purpose is to coat the bullets with alox rather than soak the denim.

Any perceived "cushioning" effect is not at all needed.

Try a plastic container instead as it is far better for the purpose and any alox that dries on the interior can be washed off with thinner and used to lube more bullets.

Boolit Master

I like the brake cleaner idea, I'll have to give it a try!

Never in my wildest dreams would I return to using tumble lube.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Banned
    Sorry, I will stick to my Star sizer.

I will also stick to my Star Sizers
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Grand Master

Going Back to Tumble Lube

I still use my Star. I still use my LAMs. I still tumble lube but it's w/ BLL. The lube sizers are faster due to to no drying time. But BLL works really well and NOE's bushing system makes push through sizing a breeze. You won't find me powder coating. To much time involved.

I keep a LAMII incase I decide I need to lube size again, but my other sizers & everything else, including tumble lube has left the building and will never again find a home here.
    Powder coating has changed the way I do everything and I have yet to run into an issue using it.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Grand Master
    Use the method(s) that work for you. I will never use the Lee tumble lube system, but I have better options....for my needs
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I am pretty well stuck on tumble lube. Since I started using BLL I haven't found much that it won't handle. Have pushed 30-06 to 2600 fps and no leading, max loads in .44 mag with HS-6, clean bore. It is easy to make and unless you use way too much it dries really fast, no gumming up the dies like straight alox. And it makes a nice top coat over Carnauba Red or 2500.

Boolit Master
    Tumble lube is another tool in the box , I use a magma star lubesizer on most of my cast boolits , but I have options thanks to members here pointing me in the right direction . Pan lube with cake cutter , dip lube , tumble lube , powder coating , and the lubesizer . Sometimes a combination of lube methods Works for me .

Boolit Master
    i tumble lube everything i cast, then use a light coating of mica so they arent sticky and gum up my die.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG67 View Post
    Never in my wildest dreams would I return to using tumble lube.
    Why? Please explain?

I've thought of tumble lubing my standard boolits prior to regular lube and sizing.

The idea here is to protect the lead all over. I cast far more than I can possibly shoot and want to keep oxidization away.

That said... I use these at sedate speeds from a 5" barrel.

Regards,

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    I am wondering why you would line a box with denim before tumbling bullets in it. The purpose is to coat the bullets with alox rather than soak the denim.

Any perceived "cushioning" effect is not at all needed.

Try a plastic container instead as it is far better for the purpose and any alox that dries on the interior can be washed off with thinner and used to lube more bullets.
    I've used plastic before.

I use a denim pad for the same reason I roll my rifle cases on a lubing pad instead of spraying them. It just appeals to me more for whatever reason.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Grand Master
    Been tumble lubing handgun boolits exclusively. Thin alox, load and shoot no issues at all and darn fast.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Tried lube sizers but prefer the Lee system of tumble lubing .its quick and easy.

Boolit Master

I tumble lube and pan lube, just depends on the grease or micro grooves.

I've yet to have a problem with sticky alox, ever.

Boolit Mold
    The only centerfire boolits I Tumble lube are 44spl. They arent tumble lube grooved either. I bought like 20 bottles of alox at one time, its good stuff, stinks to high heaven but works well.
    50cal minis also get TL. I can shoot about 20 boolits before needing to clean the muzzle loader, if I use that bore butter stuff its every 5th boolit and in teh summer time bore butter turns to liquid in about 2 mins.

After i figured out the star sizer setup I think Ill stick to it for everything else that gets cast in large quantities.

I was on the fence for a while, read everything on PC, almost tipped off that way.

Then I read a thread about Bens Liquid Lube. Lee alox thinned with Johnson's one step floor wax.

Now I have not invested a dime into hardware other than Lee size kits, which are pretty reasonably priced, and which have funished my Lee Alox up to this point.

The reading I have done tells me my BLL is likely significantly faster to do than PC.

My rifles bores are looking awesome. No leading, no problems. So why should I change?

There is no going back. I am certainly never going back to the unglorified mess that pan lubing was for me.

I have found my niche, for me it works. YMMV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast